PDA

View Full Version : Grease fitting size

fispyder
09-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Y'all know know what a pain it is to grease the A frame bushings. I want to change them out to 45/90 degree fittings. My ? Is what size mm are the fittings and which fittings 45 or 90 degree

NancysToy
09-08-2013, 09:01 AM
6 mm. Be aware that it sometimes is hard to get the fittings to point the right direction when you switch to the angled fittings.

ridesilver2009
09-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Y'all know know what a pain it is to grease the A frame bushings. I want to change them out to 45/90 degree fittings. My ? Is what size mm are the fittings and which fittings 45 or 90 degree
6 mm X 1.0 thread. Purchased mine at Ace Hardware. Have a 7 mm and 9 mm open end wrenches handy. I changed some of mine 4 years ago on my GS.
Good luck.

fispyder
09-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the response, I know that on angled fittings you might not get them turned the right way. I'm just tried of having to clean a big gob of grease every time I grease the bushings.

Big Arm
09-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the response, I know that on angled fittings you might not get them turned the right way. I'm just tried of having to clean a big gob of grease every time I grease the bushings.

In most cases, you can get them close to the right direction, by using very thin washers. Good luck with your project.

SpyRyd
09-08-2013, 11:03 AM

I wish you luck...you'll most likely need it. Many of us (Spyderlovers) have valiantly tried to grease the A Arm Bushings with varying degrees of success. Some have posted that they were successful with little to no issues. Others, me included, have struggled with this chore with little success.

I have a 2012 RT Ltd that has the angled zirk fittings standard. I purchased a Lincoln pistol grip grease gun and an extra hose to have sufficient hose length to reach the fittings. After several attempts to adequately grease these bushings...one attempt included removing the frunk (not a simple task on the RT)...I still have not gotten 3 of the 4 upper bushings to accept grease. I could go on with additional verbiage about this most unpleasant task but will spare you the details.

Again, I wish you the best of luck. Please post and let us know how it went.

bobnaquin
09-08-2013, 11:36 AM
There is a side mount grease gun fitting that works well for me with the OEM grease fittings. You have to grind off part of the grease gun fitting to give it clearance but it works quite well for me.

daltmeyer
09-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Probably my most hated maintenance item so far. What is the schedule on this? Every 12,000 miles correct me if Im wrong. I tackled it early and got some grease in most of them but Im not satisfied and will go back in again soon.

I got the 90 degree adapter and its nearly useless without grinding it down. Seems every post I read left that part out. In fact I dont like it on the ones it will fit on. With an 18" hose the regular fitting seemed best as far as grease actually going in the bushings.

fispyder
09-08-2013, 04:28 PM
With the standard fittings I can get to 5 of the fittings with some choice words and a lot of effort but 3 fittings are impossible. That's why I asked about the size. I will get the 45 and 90 degree fittings. This is looking more like a winter time project. If I ever get the time. :roflblack: