PDA

View Full Version : the price of owning a bike

cuznjohn
09-07-2013, 01:09 PM
so by the time they called me from the dealer last night, it was to late to pick up the bike for me. so i was there b4 they opened and got my bike back, as some of you know i waited over a week for a new rear tire, today i asked why don't you have them, their answer was it's late in the season so we won't stock them again to the start of next season. really dumb thinking as far as i think, but the bike with the new ball joints, ron's sway bar, and the elka 1+1 shocks WOW what a difference. it handles like a great bike now. so i am happy with that.

now as far as cost

ball joints free
first service 391.23
rear tire 153.00
labor 258.00
total with my discount 705.23

just love spending money like this early in the morning, i really thought RAPE was illegal

cuznjohn
09-07-2013, 01:14 PM
i forgot to mention they know of the heat recall and they also told me that if my brake lights stay on just hit the brake peddle and they will go off the 13's are having this problem also

OWISE1
09-07-2013, 01:29 PM
so by the time they called me from the dealer last night, it was to late to pick up the bike for me. so i was there b4 they opened and got my bike back, as some of you know i waited over a week for a new rear tire, today i asked why don't you have them, their answer was it's late in the season so we won't stock them again to the start of next season. really dumb thinking as far as i think, but the bike with the new ball joints, ron's sway bar, and the elka 1+1 shocks WOW what a difference. it handles like a great bike now. so i am happy with that.

now as far as cost

ball joints free
first service 391.23
rear tire 153.00
labor 258.00

just love spending money like this early in the morning, i really thought RAPE was illegal

Why is this not a WARRANTY Issue? I understand the 1st service.

cuznjohn
09-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Why is this not a WARRANTY Issue? I understand the 1st service.

the ball joints were warranty the first service was 391.23 than the tire was 153.00 and labor was 105.00 so that came to 649.23 than tax was 56.00 so the total was 705.23

Bob Denman
09-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Over a hundred and fifty bucks for that Kenda? :shocked:
Paid $80 for the Falken, and $86 for the Kumho...
Tell them to at least use some grease if they're gonna bend you over like that! :yikes:

ARtraveler
09-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the I just got taken club. Servicing the :spyder2: can be a eye opening situation sometimes. Having owned 4 of these wonderful machines, I have paid a few dollars to keep them up and running.

I have said before....If I didn't like em a lot..........:roflblack:

spyder3
09-07-2013, 03:43 PM
I don't begrudge anyone making money, you have to if you plan on staying in business....but geeezus:banghead:

That tire charge and labor was nuts. Next time, buy your own tire and bring it with you. :lecturef_smilie:

Knarfoh
09-07-2013, 04:31 PM
That tire charge and labor was nuts. Next time, buy your own tire and bring it with you. :lecturef_smilie: I had a Goldwing and now own a Spyder. Neither dealer will install tires purchased elsewhere. Of course the claim was "Too much legal liability to install tires purchased elsewhere".

Bob Denman
09-07-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't begrudge anyone making money, you have to if you plan on staying in business....but geeezus:banghead:

That tire charge and labor was nuts. Next time, buy your own tire and bring it with you. :lecturef_smilie:
:agree:, but some dealers are kind of funny about that... :shocked:

Flanker
09-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Sorry you got hosed like that. :yikes: I do most of my own work; not because I like wrenchin' on stuff, but as self defense for my wallet. Just swapped out my brake pads for some EBCs from BJR................not sure what the dealership would have charged, but I figure I saved 2-3 hours of labor @ $40-$60/hour. Enough for the tasty beverage I'm sipping on right now! :thumbup: Same goes for buying parts; if I HAVE to buy it from the dealer or BRP...................so be it. Otherwise; it's on the internet and from the aftermarket!

Frank G
09-07-2013, 07:21 PM

now as far as cost

ball joints free
first service 391.23
rear tire 153.00
labor 258.00

The first service calls for a belt alignment and tension adjustment. Looks like they did this, took it off the rack.... then put it back on the rack, changed the tire and did another belt alignment and tension adjustment. Raped Once...Raped Twice. Most likely they use a flat rate billing system (predetermined labor charge for each item) so on multiple items where procedures are repeated the dealer comes out way ahead. Always ask!

boborgera
09-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Its not the cost of owning a bike/trike, It's the privilege of owning one'
Not many people in this economy can afford a 25k + toy.
Sorry to say, nojoke

Chupaca
09-07-2013, 08:52 PM
it's a through away world..I let them do the first service but thats it. My dealer changed the plugs a 600 miles. These plugs are good for 50,000 miles. But here's the thing about dealer nowadays...law suits are everywhere. Everything that happens to folks today has to be some one else's fault. Accident is a worthless word because some one did it. So they only use their parts because if anything happens they can sue the
1 mining company for finding poor matrerial
2 the trucking company for taking it to the manufacturer
3 the manufacturer for using the material
4 the quality control people for not catching the faulty part

you all can continue there is someone who will pay. Most meds now have the "in rare cases may cause death" to cover all possible cases..

But I'm glad your up and running and hope it was a learning experience...!! :gaah:

2Paw
09-07-2013, 09:19 PM
I think you got hosed on the first service also, almost twice what I paid ($227), but we are in different areas od the country too.

Dan McNally
09-07-2013, 09:43 PM
+1 on the rape! I paid $177 for the 600 mile service. You need a different dealer!

OldCowboy
09-07-2013, 10:14 PM
rear tire 153.00

That's a good price for a rear tire. According to the 2013 parts manual, the rear tire goes for $179.99. :yikes: