PDA

View Full Version : NHTSA Recall on 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT & ST models

BRPcare
09-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Hi everyone,

We're being advised that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States is giving us the go-ahead to release information on the safety recall (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?57344-Clarification-on-the-Transport-Canada-safety-recall-on-2013-Spyder-RT-and-ST) regarding the tandem master cylinder manifold inlet. This recall had already been announced in Canada, and we are now at liberty to announce it in the United States as well.

Our dealer network in the United States is currently being fully briefed on this safety recall and on the solution devised by BRP to address it. In addition, owners of affected vehicles will be contacted by BRP.

At this time, the recall does not yet seem to be live on the official NHTSA website; but should appear shortly. We will keep you informed of any further developments.

wis2013rtltd
09-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Although I know you may not be at liberty to say, I will ask anyways... Should we park them until we hear from our dealer, or just operate as usual? I know some recalls specify one way or another.
I appreciate your post, I think it speaks highly of brp to mention this on this forum. On a side note, 9000 miles on our 13RT Ltd. and I only have two issues I hope will be addressed for safety and comfort.
The boiling fuel in the tank and heat emitting from the passenger side as has been mentioned many times here. Thanks BRP!!!!

Chupaca
09-05-2013, 12:30 AM
if the parts will be available for dealers to make the needed changes. It will be rough to hear the recall and not be able to have the work done...just hoping for all the new owners...!! :gaah:

eagleeye299
09-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Bump

Flanker
09-05-2013, 07:31 AM
bump

Bob Denman
09-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the information! :thumbup:
Now we wait to see what gets released... :bbq:

BRPcare
09-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Although I know you may not be at liberty to say, I will ask anyways... Should we park them until we hear from our dealer, or just operate as usual?

Hi wis2013rtltd,

The mention on the Canadian Q&A about riding your vehicle also applies to the U.S.:

Should I continue to ride my 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT or ST until the safety recall is performed on my vehicle?
As you are now aware of the details of this safety recall, if you continue to ride your vehicle make sure to give yourself enough time to react. Contact your dealer at your earliest convenience.

Pirate looks at --
09-05-2013, 08:56 AM
Hi wis2013rtltd,

The mention on the Canadian Q&A about riding your vehicle also applies to the U.S.:

Should I continue to ride my 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT or ST until the safety recall is performed on my vehicle?
As you are now aware of the details of this safety recall, if you continue to ride your vehicle make sure to give yourself enough time to react. Contact your dealer at your earliest convenience.

Steve, thanks for the update. I am not too sure what you mean by enough time to react? Can you offer any clarification?

Thanks

Magdave
09-05-2013, 08:56 AM
So those of us that may have partially melted ones will have to live with damaged parts unless it totally fails? We know what happens to plastic that has been overheated it becomes brittle and may fail after our warranty ends. Is anything being done to eliminate the boiling gas situation and gas odors?

OldCowboy
09-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Steve, thanks for the update. I am not too sure what you mean by enough time to react? Can you offer any clarification?

Thanks

I think it means 'get off before you catch on fire.' :yikes::yikes:

murphybrown
09-05-2013, 09:14 AM
As I see it, for me (even though I don't ryde a 2013) . If I'm old enough, and have a functioning thought process (If I don't I'd better stop ryding) I can determine what I consider "enough time to react". The good Lord gave us a brain and intelligence and He wanted us to use them. Common sense? now IMHO that appears to be underdeveloped in alot of people.
I for one say a huge THANK YOU to Steve/BRP for posting here....they sure didn't have to. Great customer service :thumbup:

Thanks

BeeYellow58
09-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Hi everyone,

We're being advised that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the United States is giving us the go-ahead to release information on the safety recall (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?57344-Clarification-on-the-Transport-Canada-safety-recall-on-2013-Spyder-RT-and-ST) regarding the tandem master cylinder manifold inlet. This recall had already been announced in Canada, and we are now at liberty to announce it in the United States as well.

Our dealer network in the United States is currently being fully briefed on this safety recall and on the solution devised by BRP to address it. In addition, owners of affected vehicles will be contacted by BRP.

At this time, the recall does not yet seem to be live on the official NHTSA website; but should appear shortly. We will keep you informed of any further developments.

I just called BRP, spoke with Jonathon. My 2013 Spyder RTS is one that is affected by the recall. Notices are being sent to ALL dealers in the US. When you call your Dealer mention Bulletin #2013-8. It's the Master Cylinder Manifold. Also found out that my bike is also being recalled for Stabilizer Rod Link. So be sure to check on that also when you call.

kyace2003
09-05-2013, 09:19 AM
So those of us that may have partially melted ones will have to live with damaged parts unless it totally fails? We know what happens to plastic that has been overheated it becomes brittle and may fail after our warranty ends. Is anything being done to eliminate the boiling gas situation and gas odors?

I may be missing something, if your MC is damaged, you have a 2013 it should be replaced under warranty as it is damaged, please clarify as I am missing something on this.

Magdave
09-05-2013, 09:20 AM
I for one say a huge THANK YOU to Steve/BRP for posting here....they sure didn't have to. Great customer service :thumbup:

So Murphy if it were possible for your ride to turn into a fireball would you be satisfied with putting a heat shield over an already overheated, possibly compromised, part as a solution? Would you bet YOUR life on it? See my Sig bet he didn't have enough time.

Magdave
09-05-2013, 09:22 AM
I may be missing something, if your MC is damaged, you have a 2013 it should be replaced under warranty as it is damaged, please clarify as I am missing something on this.
Clarification is there have already been pictures posted of MCs that have not totally failed but have started to melt. What would you want done in that situation and what is BRP willing to do?( I won't even mention the MC piston seals and the effect this may have on the bike. If there is one subsystem you want working right which one would you pick? For me it is brakes.).

JaymeG33
09-05-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm so glad to see BRP recall. Once it's officially released here in the US I will be sure to update everyone in our club as well. Thank you BRP :thumbup:

murphybrown
09-05-2013, 09:33 AM
I was responding to a post asking BRP to give a definitive "point" that your 2013 would have "that" issue so as YOU would decide not to RYDE. Had nothing to do with if I was ryding a potential fireball. If I was ryding a 2013 I would have had a call into BRP and my dealer at the first hint of this issue. Then I would have made the decision as to how and what I was going to do with MY ryde. I personally do not expect another person to THINK for me...Obviously :yikes: I was not clear on the point I was trying to make for you to respond as you did. For that I apologize.

So Murphy if it were possible for your ride to turn into a fireball would you be satisfied with putting a heat shield over an already overheated, possibly compromised, part as a solution? Would you bet YOUR life on it? See my Sig bet he didn't have enough time.

Spyder Tony
09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm so glad to see BRP recall. Once it's officially released here in the US I will be sure to update everyone in our club as well. Thank you BRP :thumbup:

It should already be released in the US. I think this is what this update is saying. I got the e-mail from my delaer yesterday stating the repairs were approved & he's ordering the parts for my ST-L and will let me know when they arrive.

maliamd
09-05-2013, 10:24 AM
My 2013 RT-S with 620 miles was at the dealer yesterday with a partially melted MC. They would not touch the melted MC until they heard from BRP on the recall. The issue now is waiting for the parts for the fix. Sigh.........:barf:

Pennyrick
09-05-2013, 10:27 AM
As I see it, for me (even though I don't ryde a 2013) . If I'm old enough, and have a functioning thought process (If I don't I'd better stop ryding) I can determine what I consider "enough time to react". The good Lord gave us a brain and intelligence and He wanted us to use them. Common sense? now IMHO that appears to be underdeveloped in alot of people.

:2thumbs: I agree!

Like, I'm sure that Steve at BRP would respond to such a loaded question.

SpyderAnn01
09-05-2013, 10:28 AM
:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
09-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Ann,
(If I may... :opps:)
How much time was needed ot react? :yikes: nojoke

Dan_Ashley
09-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Bump

kyace2003
09-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Clarification is there have already been pictures posted of MCs that have not totally failed but have started to melt. What would you want done in that situation and what is BRP willing to do?( I won't even mention the MC piston seals and the effect this may have on the bike. If there is one subsystem you want working right which one would you pick? For me it is brakes.).

Thank you I have seen some of those pictures, however I believe that am still missing something on this. My interpretation of your message is that BRP is refusing or has already refused to fix any partially melted MCs and I am not seeing that just yet, however if they do refuse to fix them, I agree the community should be outraged, however I am thinking BRP will handle things appropriately, at least based on history they seem to. As far as potential unseen damage, I will agree that it is possible and we may never know what damage is caused without tearing down the engines which I would find hard to believe happening. Hopefully those with a 2013 have a full 5 year warranty and I know this may cause a resale issue similar to the 2002 (I think it was this year) GW which had a frame weld issue and the frame would crack but I am not sure anyone would buy a bike/spyder for an investment anyways.

I agree with you on the brakes, I have a 2004 Suburban that has brake lines rusting from the inside out and GM has declared everything fine and the NHTSA is reviewing it, so I can understand both because I have both a 29K 2013 RT Limited and a 47K Suburban that may at any point in time have it's brakes fail however then again so can any vehicle at any age and yes it is dangerous to everyone involved. I also had a early 2000 Chrysler Town and Country where I was going 65+ when the brakes went out so I have had my share of "oh crap" moments with brakes and would prefer to not push my luck any further.

I am planning on checking my MC this evening, provided I can get the tupperware off and if it isn't showing any signs of melting I am going to continue driving it until I am in the line at the dealer getting it resolved, any signs it will be parked as it should be and taken to the dealer ASAP which is approx 70 miles away.

TuckMiddle
09-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Well, well. React to what? The heat? The Flames? The pain?

I always have a small fire ext in the frunk, and carried one for years on other bikes. If I had a 2013, I'd also might have one in the rear trunk, along with a small fire ax.

If you're going to react, you have to stop, turn it off and get off the road, at least as much as you can. Then, while someone, maybe the rider, calls 911, gets out the fire ax, chops up the right side and fighst the fire with the 12 ounce fire bottle. Right!!

Obviously the person meant to stop, shut it off and run. By the time you do 2,3, and 4 above, the Spyder may become a bomb, cause by the already hot brake/fuel leak (or system) which is really spreading. I'd be well off the road, behind a rock, taking pics or a video of the event.
:cheers:
Tuck

Magdave
09-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Talked to my dealer and yes there was a stop sale issued. Those waiting for delivery go to the front of the line but parts should be in next week. I also asked about what happens if the MC manifold is partially melted the said they would replace the whole deal so it sounds fine so far. Now about that boiling gas........:banghead:

NancysToy
09-05-2013, 03:44 PM
If the master cylinder manifold melts enough to spring a leak, the braking stystem will be compromised and it could take further to stop. I'm sure that is what BRP meant by time to react, but if the brake fluid (which would not be under pressure at this location), were to drip or be splashed onto the exhaust pipe it could catch fire. It could theoretically also ignite from the proximity to the exhaust, but that is far less likely. A fire would require a reaction of a far different nature. I'd try to be prepared to react to either possibility, if it were me. :)

dtkennney
09-05-2013, 04:08 PM
I am saving money to buy a Can Am RT next year. My hesitation now is the quality control process at BRP. I was director of quality control for a large company and to me it seems that there testing process lacks thoroughness. While the company appears to do the right thing by it's customers, it seems to me that there Quality Control and failure analysis process needs a complete overall.

I really want to buy one, but at that price I expect excellent quality assurance practices.

Mooseman
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
:agree: with Tuck!:doorag:

Bob Denman
09-05-2013, 05:44 PM
. I was director of quality control for a large company...
I really want to buy one, but at that price I expect excellent quality assurance practices.
Head of quality control?? :shocked:
You just flat-out know too much for your own good! ;)
I honestlyfeel that they're going to get a handle on these issues... BRP is a pretty big outfit that has produced many really good vehicles over the years! :thumbup:
My personal feeling is that they got bit on the butt by their suppliers for this year's effort; hopefully; they have addressed this already! :gaah:

Indyron
09-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Has there been any reported fires from this problem that BRP is fixing with the recall?

NancysToy
09-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Has there been any reported fires from this problem that BRP is fixing with the recall?

There has been smoke reported as a result of the MC leaks, but I don't think any of the serious fires could be analyzed well enough to link them conclusively. BRP has stated that this poses a fire danger in their recall information and responses, however.

corvettesue
09-05-2013, 06:12 PM
We just purchased Spyder RTSE5 two days ago. Still at dealership they called and got the part for the recall today hopefully we get it tomorrow.

Flanker
09-05-2013, 06:25 PM
I think it means 'get off before you catch on fire.' :yikes::yikes: A big 10-4 there, OC! Or stay the :cus: off your explosive transportation device until it's retrofitted (which would be my option if I owned a '13 ST or RT). Just sayin........................

Indyron
09-05-2013, 07:51 PM
..everybody needs to take a deep breath.

johnnyrocket
09-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Hi everyone,

Got the call from my dealer today to bring mine in Sat. for recall repair. Good service from Central Fl .Powersports!

spyder3
09-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Head of quality control?? :shocked:
You just flat-out know too much for your own good! ;)
I honestlyfeel that they're going to get a handle on these issues... BRP is a pretty big outfit that has produced many really good vehicles over the years! :thumbup:
My personal feeling is that they got bit on the butt by their suppliers for this year's effort; hopefully; they have addressed this already! :gaah:

So, are you saying or is someone saying melting MC's are the fault of a supplier? You don't think this is a design problem/fault? Hopefully i've misunderstood or missed something. :dontknow:

Dan McNally
09-05-2013, 08:42 PM
[/B]

So, are you saying or is someone saying melting MC's are the fault of a supplier? You don't think this is a design problem/fault? Hopefully i've misunderstood or missed something. :dontknow:

Suppliers have been known, in the past, to bid on a contract and agree to meet certain specifications, and then, provide a cheaper product that does not meet specifications, but looks the same, to maximize profit . . .

spyder3
09-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Suppliers have been known, in the past, to bid on a contract and agree to meet certain specifications, and then, part substitute with a cheaper product to maximize profit . . .

I have not heard that from anyone is this case, have you?

I would think if it was a supplier screw up with a cheap part substitute, then all of the MC's should be replaced. A shield to protect "cheap" part from melting further wouldn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. No pun intended.

hotglue
09-05-2013, 08:56 PM
The heat melted Flamingobabes' MC.... not to the point of leaking, but the brake fluid was black and gummy..... COOKED.... I would think that was not a supplier issue....That in it's self could put the braking system in a less than optimum condition.

Wazoo
09-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Do you have any information what changes were made for 2013 for this component--in other words do we have good reason to believe this same problem does not affect prior model years?

PistonBlown
09-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Do you have any information what changes were made for 2013 for this component--in other words do we have good reason to believe this same problem does not affect prior model years?

Don't worry if it did affect earlier models you would have heard ALL about it on this forum:-) On a serious note BRP would have to be very (criminally) negligent if they did not check, after finding this issue with the 2013 models, if earlier models didn't have the same problem.

jcthorne
09-06-2013, 06:47 AM
The NHTSA has now posted the formal recall notice:http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=13V386&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=emailThey have also made available the official letter BRP sent notifying them of the recall. I tried to post it here but the forum will not allow a 220kb PDF to be posted. (That limit should be upgraded ). You can get it at the NHTSA web site. One statement they make is that the recall includes the installation of heat shields (plural) AND a heat deflector. So there are at least 3 heat related parts being installed. Would really like to see the dealer install instructions.

MouthPiece
09-06-2013, 02:29 PM
I also got a call from my dealer, Seminole Power Sports, in Sanford, Flarda. They have the "fix kit" and wanted me to come in today. I had court and wasn't able to make it.

I'm very close to my 14,000 miles so I'll kill two birds with one stone and have it done early next week. He said it would take about an hour for the fix. The 14,000 oil change and service maintenance is another thing.

Chris

Dragonfly
08-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Almost a year later and the Heat problem for our 2013 still has not been resolved, in fact to me it feels as if the Spyder discharges more heat than last year and the two updates. Went for a ride today and the heat is not coming from the radiator discharge but from between he two panels on the right side but only when moving.

SpyderAnn01
08-21-2014, 11:12 PM
Almost a year later and the Heat problem for our 2013 still has not been resolved, in fact to me it feels as if the Spyder discharges more heat than last year and the two updates. Went for a ride today and the heat is not coming from the radiator discharge but from between he two panels on the right side but only when moving.

Have you filed a complaint with your dealer, BRP, or the NHTSA?

Dragonfly
08-22-2014, 06:49 AM
Sure did

Dgjason
08-23-2014, 05:54 PM
FYI 2013 RT & ST owners:mad: Just bought mine

RECALLS: Displaying 1 - 1 out of 1
RECALL Subject : Brake Master Cylinder Manifold Inlet may Melt
Report Receipt Date: AUG 28, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V386000
Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
All Products Associated with this Recall
Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)
CAN-AMSPYDER RT2013CAN-AMSPYDER ST2013
Details
10 Associated Documents
Manufacturer: Bombardier Recreational Products Inc.
SUMMARY:
Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) is recalling certain model year 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT series and ST series motorcycles. The tandem brake master cylinder manifold inlet may melt allowing the brake fluid to leak out.
CONSEQUENCE:
Brake fluid may leak onto a heat source, increasing the risk of a fire.
REMEDY:
BRP will notify owners and dealers will install heat shields and a heat deflector, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in early September 2013. Owners may contact BRP at 1-888-638-5397.
NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Request Research
PaginationDisplaying 1 - 1 out of 1
Filter 2013 CAN-AM SPYDER ST Recalls
Component or Part:

Manufacturer:

Your filtered results will appear in the previous section.

DJFaninTN
08-23-2014, 06:51 PM

if i were you I'd take my tuperware off and make sure dealer installed them correctly. they have been known to make mistakes

Dragonrider
08-23-2014, 06:57 PM
I am saving money to buy a Can Am RT next year. My hesitation now is the quality control process at BRP. I was director of quality control for a large company and to me it seems that there testing process lacks thoroughness. While the company appears to do the right thing by it's customers, it seems to me that there Quality Control and failure analysis process needs a complete overall.

You might want to read my ride report in the RT section - my 2014 exhibits none of the issues being discussed for the 2013s

Dragonfly
08-24-2014, 09:22 PM
if i were you I'd take my tuperware off and make sure dealer installed them correctly. they have been known to make mistakes

It is as soon as my CAT Slayer arrives. Going to wrap with heat tape from the header flange to the muffler.