PDA

View Full Version : JUST GOT HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL

grumpybob
09-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Got out of the VA hospital this afternoon around 2:00 pm. May have to be re-admitted tomorrow sometime, hoping not to though. About 1.5 months ago I had a piece of shrapnel in my back become infected and work its way out. I got it out myself and tried to heal it by putting antibiotic cream and keeping it covered. That didn't work so I went in & was put on antibiotics for 10 days. Still wasn't healed so I got a different antibiotic for another 10 days. 2 weeks ago tomorrow I started feeling lousy with a low, 101.5 temp. and fever. This past Thurs. about 3:30 am. I was in the emergency room to get it checked out. I don't know what the Dr. was thinking at first, I guess he thought I was some kind of nut. They drew some blood & sent it to the lab did a test or 2 then all H3ll broke loose. Started looking at my heart using 3 different tools. Apparently the infection was throughout my body and causing all sorts of problems. Put me in care of the CARDIAC Dept. I'm now taking my 4th antibiotic at a high dose, waiting to get more blood cultures back (hopefully tomorrow sometime), & waiting to see if the infection is going to BE eliminated. All this from a little piece of mortar shrapnel from 1966. Who would have thought it would be such a pain in my :cus: a** now :banghead:.

Bob Denman
09-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Praying for you, buddy! :thumbup: :pray:
Get that infection beat back before something really ugly happens... :yikes:

Littlebadwolf
09-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Bob...Hang in there..We've all got demons from serving in Vietnam...I've got an appointment at the VA hospital here in Ann Arbor tomorrow for another CAT scan..They're concerned about something from a previous scan 6 months ago...I've had so many operations that now I don't care about the results. I was on antibotics for 33 weeks, every day, morning & evening...Vancomycin..Staph Infection...I didn't have the infection when I went in for the operation, but did when I came out...It seems that Vietnam Vets suffer a high occurance of cancers and other blights that the VA doesn't condsider service connected..Our group of vets (Vietnam) are dying at a much higher rate than any other group in the veteran arena..All I can do is wish you the best as I'll hope for the same results....All I can suggest is beat the odds and take advantage of every day that you're alive...as I do...I should have died 3 times at this point...but I'm still kicking and riding my Spyder, enjoying it on a daily basis.

NancysToy
09-02-2013, 05:15 PM
You've got my prayers, too. Hang tough...and get well soon!

jerpinoy
09-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Hi fellow Vet, hope you'll get this one thru. Va will take care of you and thanks for your service to our country we love. God bless you.

wyliec
09-02-2013, 05:34 PM
grumpybob,

Heal fast and I hope they find nothing else.

Chupaca
09-02-2013, 05:37 PM
all the best..hope your results are good ones and you don't have to go back...:pray::pray:

spydaman60
09-02-2013, 06:10 PM
grumpy bob--- you now have a true reason to be grumpy!!!!:roflblack: just hang in there and take care of business. our prayers go out to you from tug hill!:pray::pray::pray:

Bob Ledford
09-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Sorry to hear that old chunk of mortar.decided too rear it's ugly head. Here's hoping they caught it in time to fix you back up.:yes::barf:

hdspyder
09-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Bob thanks for your service. Hang in there and get well soon. Will be praying for you.:pray::pray:

spyder3
09-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Get well grumpy! :pray::pray:

Oldmanzues
09-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Welcome Home, Brother. I was there 67-68. Happy TET to those who were there with me.
Best wishes and prayers for a quick ( from here) and positive recovery.
Oldmanzues

Mayhem
09-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Grumpy Bob,
I hope you can kick that infection quickly and that they don't find any other problems. Thank you for your service.

bruiser
09-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Kick a$$ Bob.

Flanker
09-02-2013, 08:03 PM
That's pretty wild it came back to hassle you so many years later. Glad they caught it in time, and sorry to hear it was that serious! Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! :thumbup:

Netminder
09-02-2013, 08:07 PM
:pray::pray: Prayers to you!

Dan McNally
09-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Get better, soon, brother. My prayers are with you, and thanks for your service.

SpyderAnn01
09-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Take care of yourself and do what the doctor tells you. That is amazing that the shrapnel decided to move now.

mindman
09-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Hey Grumpybob...our prayers go out for a full recovery. Hope you don't have to go back in.:pray:

ARtraveler
09-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Thoughts and :pray::pray: for a quick recovery. :thumbup:

JJW SpyderRider
09-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Bob, first thanks for your service.

Its amazing how simple things can snowball. Hang in there and get well soon. Will be praying for you. :pray::pray::pray:

otter28169
09-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Got out of the VA hospital this afternoon around 2:00 pm. May have to be re-admitted tomorrow sometime, hoping not to though. About 1.5 months ago I had a piece of shrapnel in my back become infected and work its way out. I got it out myself and tried to heal it by putting antibiotic cream and keeping it covered. That didn't work so I went in & was put on antibiotics for 10 days. Still wasn't healed so I got a different antibiotic for another 10 days. 2 weeks ago tomorrow I started feeling lousy with a low, 101.5 temp. and fever. This past Thurs. about 3:30 am. I was in the emergency room to get it checked out. I don't know what the Dr. was thinking at first, I guess he thought I was some kind of nut. They drew some blood & sent it to the lab did a test or 2 then all H3ll broke loose. Started looking at my heart using 3 different tools. Apparently the infection was throughout my body and causing all sorts of problems. Put me in care of the CARDIAC Dept. I'm now taking my 4th antibiotic at a high dose, waiting to get more blood cultures back (hopefully tomorrow sometime), & waiting to see if the infection is going to BE eliminated. All this from a little piece of mortar shrapnel from 1966. Who would have thought it would be such a pain in my :cus: a** now :banghead:.

My father was a nurse on the cardiac floor at the VA in Syracuse for better than 10 years. If the care on that floor is even half as good as it was when he was there, you will be as good as new in no time. We will pray for you.

retread
09-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Praying for a quick and complete recovery.

john

Daisyjoe
09-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Prayers for you Bob and thanks for your service.

CyncySpyder
09-03-2013, 05:58 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52277&d=1346070113 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1885&attachmentid=52276)

GloryRyders
09-03-2013, 06:01 AM
You will be in our prayers :pray::pray:............keep us posted!