PDA

View Full Version : Night Riding

Doug
09-02-2013, 10:48 AM
For the first time last night I took a little ride on the Spyder after dark, and these were my observation. the RECC buttons were lit for visibility and access, but the turn signals, horn, light switch, reverse button and shifter were not, leaving you in complete darkness and having you fumble some what for activating, you would think all should be lit, just saying.

Bob Denman
09-02-2013, 10:52 AM
It takes practice, and familiarity with the controls... That's never a bad idea! :thumbup:

Doug
09-02-2013, 11:32 AM
It takes practice, and familiarity with the controls... That's never a bad idea! :thumbup:

I HERE YOU, BUT STILL THINK IT WOULD BE A SAFETY FACTOR IF ALL CONTROLS INCUDING EMERG S/D BUTTON HAD BACKROUND LIGHTING, COULDN'T HURT

crazyspyder
09-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Have to agree with you on lighting there- especially after forking over 30k. and may I add , belt tensioner* second hand brake*better foot pegs*AAAHH then there's the FOOT barbeque in the summer months!!:yikes:

suenmikez
09-02-2013, 11:59 AM
Have to agree with you on lighting there- especially after forking over 30k. and may I add , belt tensioner* second hand brake*better foot pegs*AAAHH then there's the FOOT barbeque in the summer months!!:yikes:Could not agree more with you, we live in a very wooded area and have very active wildlife all the time. So we rarely travel around after dark. Not so bad now but will be more of a problem once winter arrives. :banghead:

Chupaca
09-02-2013, 02:10 PM
you should not be looking down to hand controls while driving especially at night. Maybe in time it will be second nature. The last thing I want to do is take my eyes off the road. It would look nice but give you more to complain about when they fail...jmo but then I have an RS and don't expect much and get more than expected...maybe on the 2014's then the controls can be changed...:dontknow:

Bob Denman
09-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Good way to put it Gene! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Since they ( BRP ) were able to figure out how to light some of the controls...............:agree:............WHY NOT ALL OF THEM...:popcorn: :chat: :gaah:...:agree:

Bazeel
09-02-2013, 04:00 PM
I've never noticed an issue with the controls being lit or unlit. I don't look down to thumb at my controls (aside from the center 'console' ones, which is fairly rare), so the lights would make nearly no difference. If you still have to look down to press your turn signals, horn, beams, or paddle-shifter (Unless you have some condition which prevents constant, consistent targeting with your digits)...I'd highly advise not riding at night, as experience will allow you to learn their locations and functions without needing to glance.

Doug
09-02-2013, 04:01 PM
you should not be looking down to hand controls while driving especially at night. Maybe in time it will be second nature. The last thing I want to do is take my eyes off the road. It would look nice but give you more to complain about when they fail...jmo but then I have an RS and don't expect much and get more than expected...maybe on the 2014's then the controls can be changed...:dontknow:

then why have the lighting on the RECC and dash, I'm sure you look down at the nanny, speed and rpm from time to time, and what do you know about what I'm complaining about, and expect.

jonnysevel
09-02-2013, 04:01 PM
I agree with the original poster... Why light the radio controls and not the turn signals and the horn...

Bazeel
09-02-2013, 04:05 PM
then why have the lighting on the RECC and dash, I'm sure you look down at the nanny, speed and rpm from time to time, and what do you know about what I'm complaining about, and expect.

Well, in my experience, it takes far less time to 'glance' at a speed/RPM digital readout than it does to actively 'search' down and left, locate the intended button/function, and then re-acquire the roadway ahead. I think running 'blind' drills by feel on your roadster would assist a lot in the 'search' and 'acquisition' portions of doing it by reflex!

ARtraveler
09-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Maybe future models will have the lighted features you are asking for. At this point its making do with what we have. Until this thread, I have not given much thought about good/bad concerning lighted switches at night.

Doug
09-02-2013, 04:23 PM
I've never noticed an issue with the controls being lit or unlit. I don't look down to thumb at my controls (aside from the center 'console' ones, which is fairly rare), so the lights would make nearly no difference. If you still have to look down to press your turn signals, horn, beams, or paddle-shifter (Unless you have some condition which prevents constant, consistent targeting with your digits)...I'd highly advise not riding at night, as experience will allow you to learn their locations and functions without needing to glance.

Thank you for your advice, I'll try and gain your talent/experience, and get my digit problem fixed, before I drive at night again

Bob Denman
09-02-2013, 04:28 PM
I still hit the turnsignals every once in a while instead of the horn... and in broad daylight! :gaah:

Bazeel
09-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Thank you for your advice, I'll try and gain your talent/experience, and get my digit problem fixed, before I drive at night again

I apologize if you felt my comment was coming off as 'snarky' or aggressive, I was simply trying to be curt and to the point about the issue. It isn't wise to be peering about one's car at night in search of vital, commonly used controls- the transition to motorcycle or open vehicle would be the same. I didn't go out at night myself, until I felt I had a firm grasp of the control scheme, and could navigate on feel/instinct. To each their own, but it gives you one less thing to have to actively think about.

The digit remark was aimed more towards those with carpal tunnel, nerve damage, or partial paralysis issues. I wasn't attempting to insinuate anything by the remark, just acknowledging that there are people out there with limiting conditions.

Doug
09-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Well, in my experience, it takes far less time to 'glance' at a speed/RPM digital readout than it does to actively 'search' down and left, locate the intended button/function, and then re-acquire the roadway ahead. I think running 'blind' drills by feel on your roadster would assist a lot in the 'search' and 'acquisition' portions of doing it by reflex!

Thanks again, but it might be something to do with my excellent peripheral vision that allows me to see them (controls) durning the day without looking down, that makes me thing I should be allowed to have this benefit at night. Not sure how you can determine the time difference from glancing from one to the other, when you consider there is alot more to take in and compute when you look down at the speed/rpm and nanny. When activating any of the buttons and controls durning the day time the peripheral vision allows you to see them without having to look straight down and over, and this would be the same at night. The digital readout takes more then a glance to take in whats happening with the spyder temp gage, fuel gage, radio, GPS, etc ( how many times have you played with the mode button and looked at the sceen while driving)

Doug
09-02-2013, 05:18 PM
I apologize if you felt my comment was coming off as 'snarky' or aggressive, I was simply trying to be curt and to the point about the issue. It isn't wise to be peering about one's car at night in search of vital, commonly used controls- the transition to motorcycle or open vehicle would be the same. I didn't go out at night myself, until I felt I had a firm grasp of the control scheme, and could navigate on feel/instinct. To each their own, but it gives you one less thing to have to actively think about.

The digit remark was aimed more towards those with carpal tunnel, nerve damage, or partial paralysis issues. I wasn't attempting to insinuate anything by the remark, just acknowledging that there are people out there with limiting conditions.

no problem, everything is good

Bob Denman
09-02-2013, 05:20 PM
:thumbup: I dig that...
Thanks! :2thumbs:

wyliec
09-02-2013, 05:29 PM
c ( how many times have you played with the mode button and looked at the sceen while driving)

I tried it one time only and that was enough for me. After that, anytime I want to hit the M or S button, I'm stopped.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-02-2013, 06:22 PM

Thank goodness the Lord put at least a few PERFECT people on this earth.......and aren't you glad you are one of them....:hun: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::2excited::thumbup:

jerpinoy
09-02-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm just glad the controls are better than brille.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack :

Rockwall
09-02-2013, 07:21 PM
The best advice I ever got about riding is that is needs to be instinctual and by feel. I have an SM5 and shifting is best handled by the sound and vibration of the bike. As for the constant complaints at BRP my Spyder (the basic RS model) has FAR more features than all of my buddies have on their Harley's, Honda's, Kaw's, etc. put together. Just the other day my buddy on his modded up Harley Fatboy was impressed as hell that I even had a clock.

Not spouting the company line, just saying that there are ton of great, unique features on these machines that we love.:doorag:

Doug
09-02-2013, 08:05 PM
The best advice I ever got about riding is that is needs to be instinctual and by feel. I have an SM5 and shifting is best handled by the sound and vibration of the bike. As for the constant complaints at BRP my Spyder (the basic RS model) has FAR more features than all of my buddies have on their Harley's, Honda's, Kaw's, etc. put together. Just the other day my buddy on his modded up Harley Fatboy was impressed as hell that I even had a clock.

Not spouting the company line, just saying that there are ton of great, unique features on these machines that we love.:doorag:

I love and enjoy riding my :spyder2: and you are totally correct, there are alot of great and unique features on the :spyder2:, and it came with a price, while the Fat Boy came with a Terminator :yikes:

Bob Denman
09-02-2013, 08:35 PM
WHAT???

Bazeel
09-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Thank goodness the Lord put at least a few PERFECT people on this earth.......and aren't you glad you are one of them....:hun: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::2excited::thumbup:

I assure you that I am far, far from perfect. Just an aging soldier who drills with equipment that may jeopardize his life if used inappropriately. I have enough to worry about with people not paying attention on the road (Texting/eating, etc) to have to try and juggle -too- much in active thought processes.

Tierhog
09-03-2013, 01:52 AM

BINGO...

I work nights and ride in daily. I never look at the tach and seldom look at the speed. I dont think I ever used the horn before and probably never will. Turn signal is easy... Just a small stretch of the thumb. High beam is occasionally used and its location is memorized. Easy peazy... All in good time :)

flaggerphil
09-03-2013, 02:47 AM
I'm trying to remember back at the bikes I had before the Spyder and whether any of the hand controls were lit at night...and I don't think they were.

Just an observation...

:)

otter28169
09-03-2013, 03:56 AM
I am probably :bdh: but I too ride a lot at night and only rarely glance down for a look at the speedometer. I have had my right hand operated on (open release for carpal tunnel issues), and the left hand is in need of the same thing. I have nerve damage in both hands and am lucky enough to still be able to ride. I do hit the horn, when going for the turn signals, every now and then. Other than the wake-up call I give to the wildlife I think the setup is pretty smooth.

Just sayin'............

Yelhelp
09-03-2013, 06:04 AM
I still hit the turnsignals every once in a while instead of the horn... and in broad daylight! :gaah:
But that's OK I'm not allowed out after dark :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Flanker
09-03-2013, 07:50 AM
you should not be looking down to hand controls while driving especially at night. Maybe in time it will be second nature. :dontknow:Well said, Sir. BTW: I took mine out for the first time Saturday night, the headlights were centered up laterally in my lane just great. Aimed a tad high though. The lows were like. wwwaaaaayyyyyyyy down the road, and when I switched on the highs to check them out I could count all the insulators on top of the telephone poles due to the excellent visibility! Time to bust out my manual and wrenches.........................if I remember rightly, the adjusters are accessed by pulling the instrument cluster and going in through there. Sheesh!

Larry rt
09-03-2013, 08:43 AM
I discovered , if you stiffen the ride, the beams go lower , if you soften the ride they go higher
I ride a 2013 rt ltd ,

GeoffCee
09-03-2013, 09:19 AM
I discovered , if you stiffen the ride, the beams go lower , if you soften the ride they go higher
I ride a 2013 rt ltd ,

In March 2011 when I got my RT the shared wisdom was to wind up the shocks as a stiffer ride improved the handling and they've been at max ever since. I do remember lifting the low beams a tad using the adjusters (in Europe we have separate low and high beam lamps) but I never knew until now the relationship between shocks and beam alignment. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Bob Ledford
09-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Shucks guys, just be forever thankful for what you have. I can remember back when you had a tac and speedo illuminated by a single #57 light bulb in each one. No turns signals and a horn that would not make a mosquito deaf.

Learn your control layout by feel.

I am with you Bob D I blew the horn at many people shifting from 1 to 2. They look at you sort of funny like :duh:

Bob Denman
09-03-2013, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Bob Ledford;682850I am with you Bob D I blew the horn at many people shifting from 1 to 2. They look at you sort of funny like :duh:[/QUOTE]

Wackiness loves company! :roflblack:
:thumbup:

GeoffCee
09-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Shucks guys, just be forever thankful for what you have. I can remember back when you had a tac and speedo illuminated by a single #57 light bulb in each one. No turns signals and a horn that would not make a mosquito deaf.

I remember it well, Bob. But I remain nostalgic about my "primitive" first bike, a Norton Dominator 500 cc twin with Roadholder telescopic forks and a Featherbed frame. In 1958 my drum-braked Dommy was classed as a superbike capable of 85 mph (down a steep hill) carrying 2-up. Now I have to visit a bike museum just to see one and when I do the memories come flooding back.

I'm as guilty as the next man of taking the sophistication of the Spyder for granted but it seems to me to be the right machine for this sophisticated age. I'd enjoy taking one back in time to 1958 to see what the folks in the Saturday night cinema queue would make of it. I'm sure they'd be suitably impressed... and in 50 years time who knows what they'll be riding? :ani29:

NancysToy
09-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Shucks guys, just be forever thankful for what you have. I can remember back when you had a tac and speedo illuminated by a single #57 light bulb in each one.

...if you didn't ride a Brit bike. In that case one or both of them vibrated enough to fail within the first 50 miles. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
09-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Lighting by Lucas:The "Prince of Darkness"! :shocked:

Derek Paisley
09-03-2013, 11:34 AM

100% agree.

TuckMiddle
09-03-2013, 12:48 PM
If you have ever been a pilot in the military, you had to pass a blind cockpit check. Put a sandbag, or what ever over your head and have someone make you identify and move every control, switch, major cuircuit beaker, handle, etc. It wasn't easy in the days of analog instruments and flight directors, round motors and iron men, I can't imagine how an F-18 or CH53 pilot can do it these days. All the new gadgets, screens, tiny switches, ect are much more numerous than in what we old antiquated guys flew. A few switches like on the Spyder cannot be that big a challenge to memorize. Try it and keep your eyes up and out for the deer and all the hazards in and on the road. I found myself floundering around in a heck of a rain storm a couple weeks ago trying to raise the windshield a little - shame on me!! No matter how many times you blow the horn, the w/s won't move.
:cheers:
Tuck

NancysToy
09-03-2013, 01:00 PM
If you have ever been a pilot in the military, you had to pass a blind cockpit check. Put a sandbag, or what ever over your head and have someone make you identify and move every control, switch, major cuircuit beaker, handle, etc. It wasn't easy in the days of analog instruments and flight directors, round motors and iron men, I can't imagine how an F-18 or CH53 pilot can do it these days. All the new gadgets, screens, tiny switches, ect are much more numerous than in what we old antiquated guys flew. A few switches like on the Spyder cannot be that big a challenge to memorize. Try it and keep your eyes up and out for the deer and all the hazards in and on the road. I found myself floundering around in a heck of a rain storm a couple weeks ago trying to raise the windshield a little - shame on me!! No matter how many times you blow the horn, the w/s won't move.
:cheers:
Tuck
Same procedure to obtain a competition driver's license. The blind cockpit test is an intergal part of that, too. I pays to become instinctively familair with the controls no matter what kind of vehicle you drive, ride, or fly.

Well Hell
09-03-2013, 01:02 PM
While I agree that having them lit would be wonderful. I have tried to learn the location of the various controls, kind of like fighter pilots do. They can find all of the control buttons on the joy sticks by feel. Soooooo...... pretend your Tom Cruise and feel away.:roflblack: It takes time and pratice and at least it one less thing to be recalled. I can see it now. "SPYDERS RECALLED HAND GRIPS CATCH FIRE":yikes: :cus: And you thought your feet were hot.:banghead:

Bazeel
09-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Doing blind tests ALWAYS makes you feel like an idiot, no matter what your previous experience with them has been. I used to have to do blind grab and go's with my aid bag, and in our Med Stryker. It works, you just feel silly trying to learn to do it.

Flanker
09-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Lighting by Lucas:The "Prince of Darkness"! :shocked: Darn! You beat me to it!

GeoffCee
09-03-2013, 07:23 PM
...if you didn't ride a Brit bike. In that case one or both of them vibrated enough to fail within the first 50 miles. :roflblack:

So Brit bikes were the testbed for Philips and Osram to design better longer lasting bulbs? :joke:

boborgera
09-03-2013, 07:41 PM
None of the controls on my Harley's are lit, I do a lot of night riding and i have no problem finding the horn, turn singles, and brights, If you ride enough hitting the right buttons becomes second nature..
Most of my other bikes were lit, But i don't think i ever needed them lit, My thumbs just found the right buttons...:dontknow:

GeoffCee
09-03-2013, 08:44 PM
None of the controls on my Harley's are lit, I do a lot of night riding and i have no problem finding the horn, turn singles, and brights, If you ride enough hitting the right buttons becomes second nature..
Most of my other bikes were lit, But i don't think i ever needed them lit, My thumbs just found the right buttons...:dontknow:

We changed our car from one which had the light controls on the right and the screen wipers on the left of the steering wheel to one which had them the other way round. Took a long time to get used to this even though we KNEW that the controls were now on opposite sides. You feel really stupid when you signal a left turn by switching on the wipers! This went on for weeks until we adapted to the new layout. :opps: I sometimes reach for the (non existent) front brake lever on my RT, a habit from my motorcycling days which ended 5 years ago!

lookerjdc
09-03-2013, 08:55 PM
I HERE YOU, BUT STILL THINK IT WOULD BE A SAFETY FACTOR IF ALL CONTROLS INCUDING EMERG S/D BUTTON HAD BACKROUND LIGHTING, COULDN'T HURT

:agree:

NancysToy
09-03-2013, 09:35 PM
We changed our car from one which had the light controls on the right and the screen wipers on the left of the steering wheel to one which had them the other way round. Took a long time to get used to this even though we KNEW that the controls were now on opposite sides. You feel really stupid when you signal a left turn by switching on the wipers! This went on for weeks until we adapted to the new layout. :opps: I sometimes reach for the (non existent) front brake lever on my RT, a habit from my motorcycling days which ended 5 years ago!

Wait until you try to switch from a Honda or BMW to an old Triumph or Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) and back again. :roflblack:

The old Indians (throttle on the left handlebar, spark retard on the right) could get you confused too. I usually do OK, but hitting both the rear brake and the shifter at the same time often happens for a few blocks until my brain switches gears. It never bothers me to grab air on the absent right hand lever on the Spyder. When I do it assures me that I will do things right when I switch to the Beemer.

hotglue
09-03-2013, 10:34 PM
and my old Brit bikes... with gear shift on the right and brake on the left..... It seemed natural back then...nojoke

GeoffCee
09-04-2013, 04:09 AM
and my old Brit bikes... with gear shift on the right and brake on the left..... It seemed natural back then...nojoke

I can attest to that. I had a break of 18 years from motorcycling while we raised a family. Then I bought a Kawasaki KH250, (a smelly 2-stroke with 3 cylinders), and a couple of times I found myself pressing hard on the gear lever instead of the foot brake, usually when stopping urgently was required! Once your body has learned to do stuff it seems reluctant to let the memory of it go.

PistonBlown
09-04-2013, 04:46 AM
I can attest to that. I had a break of 18 years from motorcycling while we raised a family. Then I bought a Kawasaki KH250, (a smelly 2-stroke with 3 cylinders), and a couple of times I found myself pressing hard on the gear lever instead of the foot brake, usually when stopping urgently was required! Once your body has learned to do stuff it seems reluctant to let the memory of it go.

Know what you mean. If you've had a Royal Enfield then not only do you occasionally try and change gear with the brake pedal but you also try a put the bike in neutral with your right heel using the (missing) neutral finder lever. The Enfield is the only bike I know of that has one of these and despite mine being stolen in 1991, and having numerous Jap bikes since, I still occasionally try and do this.

NancysToy
09-04-2013, 06:40 AM
I know what you guys mean. I switch fairly often but it always takes me longer to adapt to the right hand brake than to get used to the Triumph's left hander. I guess what we learn in our youth lasts the longest and takes the strongest hold on our brains.

GeoffCee
09-04-2013, 05:35 PM
I know what you guys mean. I switch fairly often but it always takes me longer to adapt to the right hand brake than to get used to the Triumph's left hander. I guess what we learn in our youth lasts the longest and takes the strongest hold on our brains.

Your collection of bikes in a usable condition is probably a special case, extremely complicated, but I think you're right, youthful memories are the key, hence the wisdom of the saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". If my wife ever overhears me telling a young person how things were "in my day" she has promised to shoot me! ;)

As you know, in the UK we drive on the left but European countries drive on the right. I have taken the ferry across to France hundreds of times but not once have I been confused as to where I was supposed to be on the road. I find that a remarkable adaptation of memory without which I would have undoubtedly been involved in a head-on accident. (Unsurvivable at the speeds the French habitually drive at)! :shocked:

Bob Denman
09-04-2013, 05:38 PM
You had the little triple? They were a fun little tooter! :thumbup:
I had one of them, and my riding buddy had the 400.
We killed MANY mosquitoes with the clouds of unburnt fuel that got spit out the pipes... :D

GeoffCee
09-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Know what you mean. If you've had a Royal Enfield then not only do you occasionally try and change gear with the brake pedal but you also try a put the bike in neutral with your right heel using the (missing) neutral finder lever. The Enfield is the only bike I know of that has one of these and despite mine being stolen in 1991, and having numerous Jap bikes since, I still occasionally try and do this.

I've never experienced riding a Royal Enfield, it sounds like the kind of bike India would continue to manufacture, they seem to have a touching regard for British goods. I'm not sure why that should be, perhaps it has its roots in nostalgia. Was the neutral finder effective in all gears? If so I can only imagine it being used for free-wheeling down hill. Strange concept.:dontknow:

GeoffCee
09-04-2013, 06:17 PM
You had the little triple? They were a fun little tooter! :thumbup:
I had one of them, and my riding buddy had the 400.
We killed MANY mosquitoes with the clouds of unburnt fuel that got spit out the pipes... :D

It was the unburnt fuel that caused us to part with it. We had a cupboard where we hung our riding gear and it was no fun opening the cupboard door after a day or two, it STANK of 2-stroke oil! Guess what I traded up to? - Kawasaki's 400 twin with a balancer shaft in the motor to make it vibrate less! After a year or so I traded that for a 4 cylinder Z650 to which I fitted a copy of a Wind Jammer III faring and panniers (bags). Made a great touring bike.

PistonBlown
09-06-2013, 03:57 AM
I've never experienced riding a Royal Enfield, it sounds like the kind of bike India would continue to manufacture, they seem to have a touching regard for British goods. I'm not sure why that should be, perhaps it has its roots in nostalgia. Was the neutral finder effective in all gears? If so I can only imagine it being used for free-wheeling down hill. Strange concept.:dontknow:

It worked in any gear but first and to honest was by far the easiest way to get the bike into neutral particularly when the clutch started playing up in heavy traffic. Often when coming to a stop at lights etc it was easiest to slow down in 4th or 3rd heel it into neutral then select 1st to pull away again. I used to commute from Norwich to Ipswich and ride down to Oxford at the weekends to see my then girlfriend (now wife) so no wonder it came second nature:-) A mate had an Indian one recently (though he's now got a Spyder) and they are good but looking closely so much has changed, they even have a 5 speed gearbox with lever on left and NO neutral finder. The Indian ones are less of a copy a more a case of gentle evolution .

ThreeWheels
09-06-2013, 04:47 AM
So let me add my 2 cents, or maybe 4 cents.

As to hand controls, I belong to a couple of riding clubs and you can always tell the guy who just bought a new bike.
He's the one who honks the horn when going around turns.
DAMHIKT.

As to switching bikes, I have a Piaggio BV250 scooter and a Spyder SM5.
While on the scooter, OCCASIONALLY, I will find myself speeding up and then inexplicably stopping myself in the middle of the road.
It seems that, as the bike revs up to the shift point, I instinctively pull in the clutch to start the shift.
Except the scooter has an automatic transmission and the left caliper is the front brake............

Sometimes I think I can make a fortune by charging admission for people to watch me make mistakes.......................................... ...........

ThreeWheels
09-06-2013, 04:52 AM
It worked in any gear but first and to honest was by far the easiest way to get the bike into neutral particularly when the clutch started playing up in heavy traffic. Often when coming to a stop at lights etc it was easiest to slow down in 4th or 3rd heel it into neutral then select 1st to pull away again. I used to commute from Norwich to Ipswich and ride down to Oxford at the weekends to see my then girlfriend (now wife) so no wonder it came second nature:-) A mate had an Indian one recently (though he's now got a Spyder) and they are good but looking closely so much has changed, they even have a 5 speed gearbox with lever on left and NO neutral finder. The Indian ones are less of a copy a more a case of gentle evolution .

HUH ?? Are you sure you don't live in Connecticut ?

No, No, I'm sure you know where you are.
Same town names. Different country. I just thought it amusing.