PDA

View Full Version : One of the main differences between 2013 and other models

hotglue
09-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Ok.. folks seem to want to know what is different between the 13 and other model spyders.... Previous models had an open area between the top cover and the side covers. these are enclosed on the 13's... I'm sure it was to reduce heat to the rider, but it is cooking everything under the Tupperware. On previous models you could see the exhaust pipe on the left side... now it is covered .. holding in more heat.... the right side is equally blocked. Keeping the rider cool at the expense of the bike is not a good deal... HEY... it's a motorcycle.... it gets hot.... the heat needs to get OUT!!!!! you are not supposed to ride in shorts and flip flops.... We want a bike that vents and cools itself ...

Bob Denman
09-01-2013, 08:59 PM
this is a very useful observation; Thanks! :thumbup:
And I agree with you too! :clap:

hotglue
09-01-2013, 09:01 PM
At the owners event, FB asked the techs if she could cut out the covers that were holding the heat in the engine bay.... they told her not to do that....but I'm still looking at that option if BRP doesn't come up with a way to deal with their problems...

SNOOPY
09-01-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm at the beach, I know motorcycle people don't agree....but I like shorts. :ohyea:

:HidingNow:

mcaccamise
09-01-2013, 09:04 PM
I would love to have a brand new ST Limited though i cant find one that runs and stays as kool as my 12 RSS so maybe ill just waite until the 14's are out and see if any of the heat issues have been taken care of first?
Mike

txroadrunner
09-01-2013, 09:06 PM
I used to ride back in the 70s and 80s, but hadn't ridden since. I took a safety course at the local college campus last May because I wanted to get back into riding. That meant getting a helmet, which I did, at a nearby dealership that also happened to sell Spyders. I'd never seen one up close, to be honest. The first thought I had was 'Where does all that heat go?'

NancysToy
09-01-2013, 09:10 PM
I'm at the beach, I know motorcycle people don't agree....but I like shorts. :ohyea:

A good case of road rash, or even a good sunburn should cure you of that. :)

hotglue
09-01-2013, 09:15 PM
I hope you noticed I said 'flip flops' and not thongs.... today that means something completely different...nojoke

SNOOPY
09-01-2013, 09:19 PM

I don't get sunburn, and hopefully won't find out about road rash.

Not a daily driver, only running around the back roads for fun....probably never in heavy traffic...so hope to be safe at that.

If i had to ride and be hot and miserable I would sell the Spyder in a heartbeat.

That's why I don't understand the whiners on this forum with heat problems...sell it and buy a Toyota :roflblack:

Just a toy for me, when it is no longer fun it's gone!

DrewNJ
09-01-2013, 09:21 PM
In 30+ years of riding I don't think I've ever owned a motorcycle that there weren't hot areas on the machine that in the summer, you kept parts of your body away from. It's just part of riding. The problem for BRP is that many spyder owners have never owned anything else and don't understand that sitting right on top of a hot motor in the summer is.....well, HOT. Imagine sitting on the hood of your car to drive...:yikes:
So, BRP tries to do what they can to keep that heat off the rider with block off plates and plastic bits here and there, and in doing so they trap that heat under the plastic, which then causes all kinds of other problems....

IMHO, the more you can open up that plastic for airflow the healthier the machine will be overall...

SNOOPY
09-01-2013, 09:29 PM
In 30+ years of riding I don't think I've ever owned a motorcycle that there weren't hot areas on the machine that in the summer, you kept parts of your body away from. It's just part of riding. The problem for BRP is that many spyder owners have never owned anything else and don't understand that sitting right on top of a hot motor in the summer is.....well, HOT. Imagine sitting on the hood of your car to drive...:yikes:
So, BRP tries to do what they can to keep that heat off the rider with block off plates and plastic bits here and there, and in doing so they trap that heat under the plastic, which then causes all kinds of other problems....

IMHO, the more you can open up that plastic for airflow the healthier the machine will be overall...

I am one of those who have never own a motorcycle before this. And you are right.

I've owned 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers all my life and we just never rode them in the hot summer months because...well...they were too hot.

So this is no different for me. Although I haven't had a problem yet riding my '13 and having heat issues, I doubt I will ever ride it much when it is crazy hot outside.

I have several other toys I can drive. :thumbup:

hotglue
09-01-2013, 09:30 PM

Not a daily driver, only running around the back roads for fun....probably never in heavy traffic...so hope to be safe at that.

If i had to ride and be hot and miserable I would sell the Spyder in a heartbeat.

That's why I don't understand the whiners on this forum with heat problems...sell it and buy a Toyota :roflblack:

Just a toy for me, when it is no longer fun it's gone!some of us actually buy bikes to ride.... at least 30,000 miles per year.... apples and oranges.....

SpyderAnn01
09-01-2013, 09:32 PM

Just a toy for me, when it is no longer fun it's gone!

As my husband likes to say "you don't get to pick the day you wreck"

DrewNJ
09-01-2013, 09:34 PM
As for how much you gear up, it's totally a personal preference and I highly doubt anyone is going to convince otherwise.
Personally, I wear a LOT more gear when I'm on 2 wheels. On the spyder in the summer I'm totally a shorts, T-shirt, and sneaker kinda rider. However, I only roll with a full face helmet on everything I ride. Anyone who has been down on a motorcycle knows what part of your head is most likely to make contact with the pavement.
I've been down on a motorcycle 2 times. Once was losing a rear tire in a turn and once was flat out getting into a turn way to hot. Both times I did a LONG slide, tore up some gear and the bikes and walked away with only minor injuries (mainly to my ego).
For some reason I doubt a mishap on the spyder would be any type of a slide. A mishap on the spyder would likely be more of a collision or impact. Something a jacket and long pants probably won't do much for.....JMHO!

DrewNJ
09-01-2013, 09:36 PM
I am one of those who have never own a motorcycle before this. And you are right.

I've owned 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers all my life and we just never rode them in the hot summer months because...well...they were too hot.

So this is no different for me. Although I haven't had a problem yet riding my '13 and having heat issues, I doubt I will ever ride it much when it is crazy hot outside.

I have several other toys I can drive. :thumbup:

I totally agree....there are days when it's just WAY to hot to ride and better to do other things.:thumbup:

SNOOPY
09-01-2013, 09:39 PM
some of us actually buy bikes to ride.... at least 30,000 miles per year.... apples and oranges.....

I understand. But this is like I said just another toy for me.

billybovine
09-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Ok.. folks seem to want to know what is different between the 13 and other model spyders.... Previous models had an open area between the top cover and the side covers. these are enclosed on the 13's... I'm sure it was to reduce heat to the rider, but it is cooking everything under the Tupperware. On previous models you could see the exhaust pipe on the left side... now it is covered .. holding in more heat.... the right side is equally blocked. Keeping the rider cool at the expense of the bike is not a good deal... HEY... it's a motorcycle.... it gets hot.... the heat needs to get OUT!!!!! you are not supposed to ride in shorts and flip flops.... We want a bike that vents and cools itself ...

If you think they are a problem, take them out. They are separate parts. In 10 minutes they can be gone and enough time left over to put a good dent in a bottle of silly pop. Thats not the problem IMO but if it make you feel better go for it.

SNOOPY
09-01-2013, 09:42 PM
As my husband likes to say "you don't get to pick the day you wreck"

Having never been in an accident while I was driving, it's still hard for me to understand how people can't avoid a wreck.

I try very hard to always know "everything" that is always going on around me at all time.

Ever seen those "Transporter" movies? That's me. I'm a driver. :roflblack:

Knarfoh
09-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Ok.. folks seem to want to know what is different between the 13 and other model spyders.... Previous models had an open area between the top cover and the side covers. these are enclosed on the 13's... I'm sure it was to reduce heat to the rider, but it is cooking everything under the Tupperware.
Reading some of the posts in this FORUM, it appears the heat problem for the rider has increased over 2012 models. So they haven't addressed the heating problem from previous years in an effective way, but they added the possibility of frying the innards of your Spyder.

you are not supposed to ride in shorts and flip flops...
I stole the following from a NYTimes article: “Often corporations of all types perform passive customer analysis,” she writes. “They look at why and when customers or distributors call the company. Passive analysis is essential. However, only one in 20 customers who have a complaint will call and inform the company. Occasionally a customer will deliver a compliment. With passive analysis, companies miss out on important feedback. Even fewer customers will call and report a neighbor who is also interested in the product. The company and distributor have the opportunity to tap into untapped resources by contacting their customers.”

My point is: Find out what the customer wants and build them the Spyder they want. If they want to wear shorts, make sure the thing doesn't get hot enough to fry their eggs.

I'm at the beach, I know motorcycle people don't agree....but I like shorts.
You should be able to ride your Spyder in a manner consistent with your lifestyle.

I would love to have a brand new ST Limited though i cant find one that runs and stays as kool as my 12 RSS so maybe ill just waite until the 14's are out and see if any of the heat issues have been taken care of first?
Be patient. If your 12 RSS is treating you right, don't buy a new Spyder until you see know the problems you are concerned about have been address. And don't take the word of some spyderlovers.com high mucky muck to make your decision. The 15 minute test ride they took as a favored guest of the manufacturer is just that... a 15 minute ride. Most of us know it takes days to learn the nuances of a particular motorcycle and simple ride, for a few minutes, doesn't tell you the story. There is a reason Consumer Reports and Car and Driver magazine drive their cars for weeks before writing a review. Yes, they sometimes write articles called "quick reviews" but they always include the caveats in the article.

hotglue
09-01-2013, 09:46 PM
If you think they are a problem, take them out. They are separate parts. In 10 minutes they can be gone and enough time left over to put a good dent in a bottle of silly pop. Thats not the problem IMO but if it make you feel better go for it.So what is your answer to the problem? open to any ideas....but I do like the idea of silly pop!!!!! having some tonight!!!!

DrewNJ
09-01-2013, 09:47 PM
some of us actually buy bikes to ride.... at least 30,000 miles per year.... apples and oranges.....

some of the hardcore guys I sometimes try to keep up with would say that any squid could point a bike in a straight line and chew up miles on the highway. That your not really riding unless you've chewed it up on the track....apples and oranges....haha.. ;)
Riding is riding, and the key is just getting out there and enjoying it for what you want to get out of it.:doorag:

Orange monster
09-01-2013, 09:48 PM
My 2013 RS-S still has the open slots on both the right and left side of the bike where you can see the exhaust pipe and heat does vent. I don't know much about the RT and ST comparied to earlier models so those could very well be different. I looked at my master cylinder today and there was no evidence of melting yet and it has been very very hot in Dallas lately. It was 106 yesterday and while I thought I was going to melt the bike ran good and showed 5 bars. While I did everything possible to avoid any major traffic where I would have to stop I was riding in shorts and t shirt with a full face helmet.

74940 74939

hotglue
09-01-2013, 09:56 PM
some of the hardcore guys I sometimes try to keep up with would say that any squid could point a bike in a straight line and chew up miles on the highway. That your not really riding unless you've chewed it up on the track....apples and oranges....haha.. ;)
Riding is riding, and the key is just getting out there and enjoying it for what you want to get out of it.:doorag:All I'm saying is, there is a big difference between riding around on the weekend and taking a 20,000 mile road trip... when you are going on an extended trip, there is a NEED for dependability in your bike... not saying we are hard core.. and there is nothing wrong with weekend trips, we enjoy those very much!....... just that we demand a bike that is road worthy for a long haul.......

Dan_Ashley
09-01-2013, 09:57 PM
As for how much you gear up, it's totally a personal preference and I highly doubt anyone is going to convince otherwise.
Personally, I wear a LOT more gear when I'm on 2 wheels. On the spyder in the summer I'm totally a shorts, T-shirt, and sneaker kinda rider. However, I only roll with a full face helmet on everything I ride. Anyone who has been down on a motorcycle knows what part of your head is most likely to make contact with the pavement.
I've been down on a motorcycle 2 times. Once was losing a rear tire in a turn and once was flat out getting into a turn way to hot. Both times I did a LONG slide, tore up some gear and the bikes and walked away with only minor injuries (mainly to my ego).
For some reason I doubt a mishap on the spyder would be any type of a slide. A mishap on the spyder would likely be more of a collision or impact. Something a jacket and long pants probably won't do much for.....JMHO!
Good gear saved my life. My helmet was ruined. My gloves were worn through. My leather jacket could not be unzipped, as the zipper had welded together. My boots were ground away, you could see my sox. My body: 2 fractured ribs, dislocated shoulder only. It took three months to heal--and I was going only 25 mph!

I "gear up" every time I ride. I hope you do too. But it is your choice. Just don't expect empathy if you do not gear up, and then you crash. Nobody can predict when some drunken a-hole violates right of way and you slam into him. Nobody can plan on NOT crashing. You can only prepare and attempt to prevent the worst outcomes.

No matter how you argue it, on a two wheeler, a trike, or a Spyder, a wreck is going to hurt you a lot more than it would if you were in a cage. I saw a kid once who had a fractured femur. He said "it wasn't my fault. The other guy violated my right of way." I asked the kid if the other guy was injured. The kid said, "No."

If you don't prepare, if you don't train, if you don't use protective equipment, then one day your youthful arrogance will cause you pain. When that happens, do not turn to me for empathy, or expect me to pay your medical bills--through insurance premiums or taxes.

in short, enjoy the sport of riding, but for the love of God, and your family, gear up, get professionally trained, and don't ever EVER have a drink (even one) within 12 hours before you ride--EVER.

DrewNJ
09-01-2013, 10:03 PM
All I'm saying is, there is a big difference between riding around on the weekend and taking a 20,000 mile road trip... when you are going on an extended trip, there is a NEED for dependability in your bike... not saying we are hard core.. and there is nothing wrong with weekend trips, we enjoy those very much!....... just that we demand a bike that is road worthy for a long haul.......

Very true! Breaking down is never fun and having to worry about reliability can ruin it too.

spyder3
09-01-2013, 10:05 PM
All I'm saying is, there is a big difference between riding around on the weekend and taking a 20,000 mile road trip... when you are going on an extended trip, there is a NEED for dependability in your bike... not saying we are hard core.. and there is nothing wrong with weekend trips, we enjoy those very much!....... just that we demand a bike that is road worthy for a long haul.......

Well said:bowdown:

billybovine
09-01-2013, 11:07 PM
So what is your answer to the problem? open to any ideas....but I do like the idea of silly pop!!!!! having some tonight!!!!

I blocked the air flow from coming out from under the seat. Now more comfortable to ride. It is still hot but no more than my 09 GS was. No more hot gas cap. More air moving past the master cylinder to keep it cool. It works.

Orange monster
09-01-2013, 11:09 PM
I blocked the air flow from coming out from under the seat. Now more comfortable to ride. It is still hot but no more than my 09 GS was. No more hot gas cap. More air moving past the master cylinder to keep it cool. It works.

Care to explain how and what you did?

billybovine
09-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Care to explain how and what you did?

Blocked the space above the center frame. That is where the glove box is on the RT.

Filled the space between the inner and outer tupperware. Both sides.

Now I have not heard any complaints about heat on a RS and no melted manifolds either. It may be built differently.

Dan McNally
09-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Good gear saved my life. My helmet was ruined. My gloves were worn through. My leather jacket could not be unzipped, as the zipper had welded together. My boots were ground away, you could see my sox. My body: 2 fractured ribs, dislocated shoulder only. It took three months to heal--and I was going only 25 mph!

I "gear up" every time I ride. I hope you do too. But it is your choice. Just don't expect empathy if you do not gear up, and then you crash. Nobody can predict when some drunken a-hole violates right of way and you slam into him. Nobody can plan on NOT crashing. You can only prepare and attempt to prevent the worst outcomes.

No matter how you argue it, on a two wheeler, a trike, or a Spyder, a wreck is going to hurt you a lot more than it would if you were in a cage. I saw a kid once who had a fractured femur. He said "it wasn't my fault. The other guy violated my right of way." I asked the kid if the other guy was injured. The kid said, "No."

If you don't prepare, if you don't train, if you don't use protective equipment, then one day your youthful arrogance will cause you pain. When that happens, do not turn to me for empathy, or expect me to pay your medical bills--through insurance premiums or taxes.

in short, enjoy the sport of riding, but for the love of God, and your family, gear up, get professionally trained, and don't ever EVER have a drink (even one) within 12 hours before you ride--EVER.
Case in point . . . I was on my7 way to a ryde about 60 miles from home, yesterday. I merged onto I-70 from Rt 340 in Maryland. As I was cruising down the right lane, a car slowly pulled up on my left, passing me, gradually. I glanced at it . . . and the driver was looking down, obviously texting. And, to my dismay, his car was driving right toward me. I started to the right, laying on my horn. My right front wheel was over the rumble strip before he stopped drifting into my lane and jerked back into his. You just never know when an idiot will do something idiotic . . . and that is what they do!

fastfraser
09-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Man if you think the 2013s run hot wait for the 2014s with the new 1400cc !!!:yikes::yikes::yikes:

bruiser
09-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Didn't take long for this thread to change topic.

kyspyder
09-02-2013, 09:19 AM
That was not a topic change, it is known as hijacking!

KYSPYDER

Spyder_Cowgirl
09-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Good gear saved my life. .......

:agree: Mine too .... and I was hit head on (typical motorcycle cage incident where the young driver turned left in front of me). Because of my gear and the sturdy bike I was riding (a BMW K75 RT, custom built just for me), I walked away with only bruises and a VERY sore sciatic nerve where the jacket / pants zipper had been slammed into the nerve. Like you, my bike was a total loss. So, I am an ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) kind of gal ... even on the hottest days.

Did you know it has been proven that you actually stay COOLER on hot days WITH a jacket that without? The reason for this is that without the jacket your sweat evaporates too fast and can't cool you. With gear, the sweat is allowed to evaporate slowly and the body's natural air conditioner works better. On really hot days I have been known to soak my shirt with ice water and even wear a "cool collar" filled with ice if the ride is expected to be longer than about 30 minutes.

BTW ... good gear also saved spydercowboy (aka hogcowboy) when he slid off the road in rain and was flipped into a ditch.

Best Regards .... Ann

MMcc
09-02-2013, 10:02 AM
I don't have a 2013 but a 2011 RT-s. In the very hot weather this summer it became uncomfortable with all the heat venting out from under the seat onto my upper legs. I too thought about some way to install vents behind my legs in the upper portion of the TW. This would allow the heat built up in that area to escape. The vents would need to be able to be closed when riding 2 up as that is where the passengers legs are and also during the colder months to give me the rider some additional warmth. I still think it is possible and will scrounge the junk yards for some dash board AC vents to see what might work and maybe look OK.

spyder3
09-02-2013, 10:10 AM
I know on my 2011, the storage compartment and the tupperware around it gets very hot. I have a mesh seat which does not get hot at all EVER so my legs are fine and i also always have either riding pants on or jeans at the very least.

i just went for a ride, 80 degrees, cloudy and after about 20 miles put my hand on the compartment....very hot. Nature of the beast I guess. :dontknow:

Rockwall
09-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Glad I bought a new 2012 RS SM5. There just seems like a lot less that can go wrong. Enjoy the wind everyone!:doorag:

Bob Denman
09-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Where were we when this converstion went, "free-ranging" on us? :shocked: :D

Dan_Ashley
09-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Case in point . . . I was on my7 way to a ryde about 60 miles from home, yesterday. I merged onto I-70 from Rt 340 in Maryland. As I was cruising down the right lane, a car slowly pulled up on my left, passing me, gradually. I glanced at it . . . and the driver was looking down, obviously texting. And, to my dismay, his car was driving right toward me. I started to the right, laying on my horn. My right front wheel was over the rumble strip before he stopped drifting into my lane and jerked back into his. You just never know when an idiot will do something idiotic . . . and that is what they do!
About a week ago I was ryding through the mountains near my house--Lake Gregory area in So Cal--I was driving about 5 mph above the speed limit. A soccer mom in a mini-van rushed up behind me, tailgating within 6", and started laying on her horn. It irritated me a lot. At the nearest wide place in the road I pulled over to let the idiot pass. About 6 miles further up the road, I saw the mini van was in a fender bender with a fire truck. She apparently took a corner too hot and veered into the oncoming lane. I stopped and gave my witness statement to the CHP officer who arrived. He arrested the woman for DUI. She had two children with her who, according to the officer, would probably end up in foster care.

Nobody can predict when you are going to encounter jerks like the one in the quoted post, or the one I encountered last week. All you can do is: gear up, get trained, don't drink, and don't get angry. Anger on the part of a motorcyclist is very dangerous.

DrewNJ
09-02-2013, 11:55 AM
There are about 3 different topics of conversation all going on at the same time in here!....haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
09-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Is that all? :shocked: :roflblack:
It happens... :thumbup:

Captain Fin
09-02-2013, 02:36 PM
O
I ride in shorts and flip flops every day 365 days per year. Now who wants to tell me I'm not supposed to. Are you with the Feds, PETA or from Mars. Get a Life.

Dan_Ashley
09-02-2013, 03:05 PM
O
I ride in shorts and flip flops every day 365 days per year. Now who wants to tell me I'm not supposed to. Are you with the Feds, PETA or from Mars. Get a Life.

just don't ask me to pay your medical bills by taxes or through insurance premiums.

SNOOPY
09-02-2013, 03:56 PM
O

I think you are my new best friend. :thumbup:

Guess some don't understand cruising around the beaches. :D

Bob Denman
09-02-2013, 04:45 PM
The insurance guy part of me recoils in horror... :shocked:
But the rest of me says, :thumbup: Even thought I'm an ATGATT rider! :2thumbs:

jerpinoy
09-02-2013, 05:36 PM
The big difference is the later don't catch on fire.:roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Ledford
09-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Hey Bob! How's your sister?

Joe G
09-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Ever seen those "Transporter" movies? That's me. I'm a driver. :roflblack:

:bowdown:

Joe G
09-02-2013, 07:49 PM
I think you are my new best friend. :thumbup:

http://stangsunited.com/images/smilies/Smilies2/Generic/nonono.gif

SNOOPY
09-02-2013, 07:53 PM
:bowdown:

:roflblack:

SNOOPY
09-02-2013, 07:54 PM
http://stangsunited.com/images/smilies/Smilies2/Generic/nonono.gif

Are you a spammer?

What type Spyder do you have?

Or are you researching?

hotglue
09-02-2013, 08:00 PM
ride in shorts... ride naked.. no matter to me...IF I don't have to see it.... the heat issues remain... the blocking off of the air vents on the 13's vs. the 12's and earlier is what we WERE talking about.... Thanks for the hijacks... Y'all are pretty entertaining... if not technical....nojoke

SNOOPY
09-02-2013, 08:03 PM
ride in shorts... ride naked.. no matter to me...IF I don't have to see it.... the heat issues remain... the blocking off of the air vents on the 13's vs. the 12's and earlier is what we WERE talking about.... Thanks for the hijacks... Y'all are pretty entertaining... if not technical....nojoke

Which air vents exactly are we talking about being blocked off?

I have an ST-S, first year for this model, so perhaps you're talking about an RT?

I just haven't been able to tell much difference in the models except the RT has more body and the RS has less body. LOL

hotglue
09-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Yeah... but are you driving naked.... that seems to be the big issue here...:yes:

SNOOPY
09-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Yeah... but are you driving naked.... that seems to be the big issue here...:yes:

Um, I'm a dog. Who cares if I'm naked? http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/autumn59/joe_cool.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/autumn59/media/joe_cool.gif.html)

Bob Denman
09-02-2013, 08:32 PM
This thread has now entered...
The Twilight Zone...:shocked:

hotglue
09-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Yep.. we took a turn for the worst... LOL:yikes:

hotglue
09-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Which air vents exactly are we talking about being blocked off?

I have an ST-S, first year for this model, so perhaps you're talking about an RT?

I just haven't been able to tell much difference in the models except the RT has more body and the RS has less body. LOL

.I'll take some pic tomorrow so ya can see what I'm talking about.... :thumbup:

SNOOPY
09-02-2013, 08:42 PM
I'll take some pic tomorrow so ya can see what I'm talking about.... :thumbup:

Thanks. http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz260/raezell2/hurry-up.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/raezell2/media/hurry-up.gif.html)

lol

Bob Denman
09-02-2013, 08:56 PM
thanks Bob... :thumbup:
HG, I'm looking forward to the pics too! :2thumbs:;)

5ft2lilred
09-02-2013, 09:20 PM

Well, here is the skinny. My husband I just did a 9611 mile ride across on our RT's (yes, we each have our own). It was VERY hot and we rode in 106 degrees one day. We rode in shorts, T-shirts and I wore sandals. We rode freeways, back roads, and even the Dragon Tail. And yes, we sometimes do not wear our helmets (such as when in WY, ND, SD, etc). We know we are taking a chance; but after a 12,000 mile summer and 22,000 miles in about 16 months, we try to be careful and are adult enough (68 and 70) to decide what gear to wear when.

hotglue
09-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Good for you!!!!! .... I just don't want to see Naked Spyder Ryders..LOL!!!!!Well... I might make a couple exceptions... but for the most part... not so much...LOL.....:yikes: I will get some pics tomorrow morning to show what the original post was referring to...Will post them when we get back form the dealer shop....there are some major changes in the Tupperware between years. You didn't mention the year model of your RT's.....Sounds like a Great trip!!!!

Daisyjoe
09-02-2013, 10:28 PM
This thread has now entered...
The Twilight Zone...:shocked:

We went from a hot RT to ryding NEKID:yikes::yikes: With flip flops because he is a dog and who cares:gaah: :banghead::banghead: What went wrong here?

Joe G
09-02-2013, 11:52 PM
Are you a spammer?

What type Spyder do you have?

Or are you researching?

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/nospamhere.gif

I don't have a Spyder. I don't have the disposable income right now to get a lot of toys.... but I do have a Mega Garage. :yes:

I followed a friend over here because I missed chatting with him on the other forum we were on. Guess I'll just move on now. 74983

bhfromme
09-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Ok.. folks seem to want to know what is different between the 13 and other model spyders.... Previous models had an open area between the top cover and the side covers. these are enclosed on the 13's... I'm sure it was to reduce heat to the rider, but it is cooking everything under the Tupperware. On previous models you could see the exhaust pipe on the left side... now it is covered .. holding in more heat.... the right side is equally blocked. Keeping the rider cool at the expense of the bike is not a good deal... HEY... it's a motorcycle.... it gets hot.... the heat needs to get OUT!!!!! you are not supposed to ride in shorts and flip flops.... We want a bike that vents and cools itself ... At the expense of sounding disrespectful I need to say that I have a real problem with the comment about shorts and flip flops. Not supposed to? Really? You people can wear what you want and we'll wear what we want. I understand opinions are like you-know-whats but when something sounds as judgmental as that I need to stand up and be counted.

spyder3
09-03-2013, 09:53 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::shocked::popcorn::popcorn:

Bob Denman
09-03-2013, 09:55 AM
"At the expense of sounding disrespectful I need to say that I have a real problem with the comment about shorts and flip flops. Not supposed to? Really? You people can wear what you want and we'll wear what we want. I understand opinions are like you-know-whats but when something sounds as judgmental as that I need to stand up and be counted."

YOui're sounding just a wee bit thin-skinned... :shocked:
Relax, and enjoy your ride! :thumbup:

DLewis
09-03-2013, 10:26 AM
:hun: I'm totally lost on this thread.

Tanshanomi
09-03-2013, 10:47 AM
To get back on topic...

Riding my 2013 RS-S, I do notice more heat on my leg on the left side of the bike than on my wife's 2012 RT. On the flip side (somewhat literally), her bike bakes yer right foot if you use the highway peg (no radiator block-off plate, obviously). However, I wouldn't consider the heat coming off any part of either of them any more than a nuisance. But then again, I probably wouldn't say that if we'd had a master cylinder melt on us!

hotglue
09-03-2013, 01:10 PM
74997The approx. 2 inch wide gap between body of the bike and the covers for the oil tank on the left side, and the radiator on the right side are filled in with extra body panels on the ST as compared to the RS. A Lot of heat could escape out these openings if they were still there. The pic has FB pointing at the covered opening on the right side.74996 Sorry about the out of rotation pic.... LOL These vents are closed on both sides.

Bob Denman
09-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the piics! :thumbup:
Question: Can they be opened up? :dontknow:

hotglue
09-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Bob, FB asked that question to Danny at the Owners event.... he said 'don't do that' ... but I would think it could be and option. I have 'TOOLS" LOL

Bob Denman
09-03-2013, 02:06 PM
It will; of course, vent that heated air upwards onto your FB... :shocked:
I'm not at all familiar with the RS/ST bodywork... could some sort of ducting be added down near the heat sources?
(But that also might look like crap... :gaah:)

shelbydave
09-03-2013, 02:51 PM
It seems to me, that we have created a "no win" scenario for BRP here... for years, people have been complaining of discomfort from heat while riding. Now, it appears that they have attempted to remedy that, but have created a huge safety issue while doing so. As has been stated here already, engines get hot. Heat has to go somewhere. Some people have said to "open it up" a bit, and let the heat out, but during riding, that would just contribute to the riders discomfort, as the engine is more in front of us than on a regular 2-wheeler.

Personally, I'd rather deal with the discomfort, than the fear of catching on fire...

Bob Denman
09-03-2013, 04:42 PM
I think that some (only some!) of the heat complaints might be coming from folks who haven't ridden before. They might have just not expected an engine to get hot; having been well-insulated by a firewall during their years in cages... :shocked:
:agree: with you that BRP is in a quite unenviable position... Here's to hoping that they can find a way to make it all good! :2thumbs: :cheers:

hotglue
09-03-2013, 08:41 PM
At the expense of sounding disrespectful I need to say that I have a real problem with the comment about shorts and flip flops. Not supposed to? Really? You people can wear what you want and we'll wear what we want. I understand opinions are like you-know-whats but when something sounds as judgmental as that I need to stand up and be counted.You can wear whatever you want to wear.... but don't complain about the heat you feel if you are in shorts.... and flip flops.. Have FUN!!!!!

hotglue
09-03-2013, 08:45 PM
This thread got so far off tract from the orginal post that I think the main intent was lost..... if you are really interested...it's in there... but I feel it would be a waste of time to repost it.. so I will let it die here.... Good luck with your heat issues.... ride nekid if ya wanna...Cheers!

Bob Denman
09-03-2013, 08:50 PM
:shocked: Ride nekkid?? :shocked: You DO realize that there are some folks in here who just don't need much encouragement for this sort of mischief... :D
This thread roamed wild on us; but thanks for the information! :2thumbs:

DrewNJ
09-03-2013, 09:08 PM
74997The approx. 2 inch wide gap between body of the bike and the covers for the oil tank on the left side, and the radiator on the right side are filled in with extra body panels on the ST as compared to the RS. A Lot of heat could escape out these openings if they were still there. The pic has FB pointing at the covered opening on the right side.74996 Sorry about the out of rotation pic.... LOL These vents are closed on both sides.

Interesting! I really can't imagine why those areas would be blocked off.... My 12' RS is open there on both sides.
I'm going to be out all day tomorrow on the spyder. I'll pay closer attention to those areas and see how much heat those areas let out. Who knows, maybe those areas draw air IN to push hot air out from under the rest of the panels...:dontknow:

Like I said before, IMHO the more you can open these things up, the cooler I think they will run....

bruiser
09-04-2013, 09:22 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/nospamhere.gif

I don't have a Spyder. I don't have the disposable income right now to get a lot of toys.... but I do have a Mega Garage. :yes:

I followed a friend over here because I missed chatting with him on the other forum we were on. Guess I'll just move on now. 74983

Stick around for awhile. You're welcome here despite some folks comments.

SNOOPY
09-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Stick around for awhile. You're welcome here despite some folks comments.

He's alright, he's just messin' around. I haven't convinced him yet that he needs a Spyder. :thumbup:

sledmaster
09-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Consider this – back when the 2013 STs first came out owners of older GS/RS models looked at how the gaps along the side panels had been blocked off so some of us actually ordered and installed the parts to make our 2008s/2009s/2010s/2011s look like the 2013s.

There were even posts about the part numbers and exactly how to do it. Super easy. I did it to both of my 2008s that now have over 32,000 miles each. On the left side we simply ordered the black cover that goes on top of the oil reservoir, installed a small push dart down on the side of the oil reservoir and lined the inside with insulated foil tape. On the right side you need to get a new deflector piece that mounts into the side panel, it has the holes in it to mount the rubber strip that is the block off for the right side.

So here’s the deal. Closing off those gaps on the 2008s did not make them “hot” like the 2013s. Sure, it keeps some hot air from venting out, but this alone did not make them feel or act like a 2013. My 2008s would run at three bars on the LCD heat display, no more than four. Seemed like it actually helped the engine cooling, hard to believe, but the right side deflector was less restrictive so the air flowed through the radiator better. Instead of routing all of the air from the radiator off to the right side away from your foot, the new deflector let some heat come straight back at your foot. The spyders seemed to run cooler, at least on the heat gauge. I never noticed a difference on the right foot, surprisingly.

We started to look at what other differences there were with the 2013 ST. The catalytic converter was the biggie. Instead of it being mounted internally within the tuned exhaust pipe (outboard of the Tupperware), it was now separated from the tuned pipe and located centrally under the middle of the bike. Now we should all be aware that a CAT does in fact get pretty hot, and having this mass of extra heat in that location is going to output more heat than just the simple tube pipes going to the outboard tuned exhaust.

So the combination of closing off the side panel gaps AND the relocation of the CAT are the most obvious things going on with the 2013 ST. I can tell you that closing off the side panel gaps wasn’t that big of a deal on the 2008s we did it to, kept some heat off the rider but it did NOT create a heat issue like what some of the 2013 owners are experiencing. It would really seem that having that great big CAT where it is would be more of the problem than anything else. That said, it is super easy to remove the black cover on the left side and pull the rubber strip on the right side to open up the gaps on the 2013. Just pull the two side panels and take the two pieces off. The 2008s-2009s-2010s-2011s worked fine without these pieces, so just because somebody said “don’t’ do it” without providing supporting logic isn’t good enough reason not to. If anything it just might let even more heat from the CAT up and out, so one would have to balance rider discomfort with managing interior heat build-up. IMHO.

The third element is the fuel mapping. The 2013 STs seem to get better fuel economy than the previous models. This is most likely from leaner fuel mapping. People were complaining about not getting good enough fuel economy, so it stands to reason the fuel mapping has been tightened up some for better range and economy. The flip side of this is the engine and exhaust will run hotter. Extra fuel is one helluva coolant. Take fuel away and the engine runs hotter, pretty basic. Combine this with closed off side panel gaps and a relocated CAT and we have more heat being generated and being retained under the plastic. IMHO.

flamingobabe
09-04-2013, 01:38 PM
sledmaster...you are correct.....I don't remember people putting in the enclosed areas on the GS/RS.....but I believe you...but not getting heat out...the Cat and running lean is probably the culprits....but you can't remove the cat and keep warranty....I have 10,000 miles with the engine running lean.....if it blows...I want my warranty to be good....BRP will have to remove my cat

McGone
09-04-2013, 01:47 PM
The Catalytic converter was changed in the 2013 to being between the swing arm. The CAT convertor is one of the hottest parts of the exhaust system. The original Spyder had the CAT built into the silencer which was mounted on the exterior. The exhaust is much hotter than the water cooled engine. This is one of the differences that make the 2013 RT & ST hotter. :doorag:

sledmaster
09-04-2013, 03:21 PM
I suspect the CAT was relocated for three reasons; moving it closer to the engine makes it more efficient for cleaner emissions; regardless of what exhaust is installed, the Spyder still has a CAT and meets EPA regs, meaning aftermarket exhausts are likely now EPA legal; moving the CAT out of the “muffler” allows more volume for silencing, giving us a quieter exhaust.

Since EPA regs must be met, you won’t see BRP removing any CATs. Since they get hot by the nature of their operation I could see more shielding and airflow changes, but the CAT location is likely here to stay. I wonder if anyone has tried ceramic coating one, or if that is even feasible? Would that reduce the heat being radiated from the shell of the CAT? Would it cause the CAT to get too hot and damage the catalyst materials inside?

billybovine
09-04-2013, 03:35 PM
I suspect the CAT was relocated for three reasons; moving it closer to the engine makes it more efficient for cleaner emissions; regardless of what exhaust is installed, the Spyder still has a CAT and meets EPA regs, meaning aftermarket exhausts are likely now EPA legal; moving the CAT out of the “muffler” allows more volume for silencing, giving us a quieter exhaust.

Since EPA regs must be met, you won’t see BRP removing any CATs. Since they get hot by the nature of their operation I could see more shielding and airflow changes, but the CAT location is likely here to stay. I wonder if anyone has tried ceramic coating one, or if that is even feasible? Would that reduce the heat being radiated from the shell of the CAT? Would it cause the CAT to get too hot and damage the catalyst materials inside?

As per the parts catalog view, the CAT is in the same location on all 2010 to 2013 RT's and 2013 ST's and RS's.

Bob Denman
09-04-2013, 04:38 PM
The original Spyder had the CAT built into the silencer which was mounted on the exterior. The exhaust is much hotter than the water cooled engine. This is one of the differences that make the 2013 RT & ST hotter. :doorag:

Not quite... the 991 seiries engine has always had the separate catalytic converter nestle up in front of the muffler...
And the 2010 to 2012 RT models have not had this issue.
The 2013 RS is now using this same configuration, and I don't recall hearing any complaints from their owners about melting parts...

DrewNJ
09-04-2013, 07:23 PM
OK, did about 150 miles of mixed riding today on my 2012 RS and paid real close attention to temps around those cutouts or gaps.
-When riding at speed there is absolutely no heat coming out of the gaps and it almost felt as if the airflow wrapped around those side covers and pushed air INTO the gap.
-When cruising around town there was very slight warm air coming from the gap...barely noticeable.
-When cruising around town and hitting 5 bars and the fan coming on I could feel a nice warm airflow coming out of the gap. Nothing I would say is HOT. Just a warm bit of air flowing onto my knee (I was wearing shorts).

I have to say I doubt that there would be any difference in anything with those gaps open vs. closed.....if anything, MAYBE it would help cool the motor off faster when getting back up to speed....but I'd imagine a minimal difference, if any.
Ride On!:thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks for that evaluation! :2thumbs: