PDA

View Full Version : Saturday ryde

hdspyder
09-01-2013, 08:26 PM
A couple of Saturday’s ago the wife and I took the spyder for a ride. Left Shelby around noon heading west on Zion Church Road, took a left on Mooresboro Rd and then a right on Hwy 74-A west.
The sun was shining as we made our way to Ellenboro and then to Forest City. At Spindale we picked up Hwy 64/74 at Ruth and continued on towards Lake Lure and Chimney Rock.
This section of 64/74 has more sweeping curves than switchbacks and is a very nice ride through the foot hills of Rutherford County. As we got to the Lake Lure Golf Course there are a couple of nice twisties, need to watch speed at golf course because sometimes Lake Lure’s finest are waiting for those that are enjoying the curves to much.
From the Jct 9 and Larkin’s on the Lake the road starts climb and the curves are more fun and frequent provided no one is holding you up. There are couple of double S’s that I just love, I do better on 2 wheels through them though than on 3 since my skills are not as good on the spyder.
A lot of people were enjoying the beach today and seemed to be having a good time. Many people were boating and just enjoying the day. After we crossed the Broad River and were entering Chimney Rock we decided to stop at the Tikki Bar and Grill to grab a bite to eat. The Tikki Bar and Geneva hotel was doing a very good business. Looked like the hotel was full and everyone was at pool or wading in the river or just watching the river go by. Service was a little slow but the entertainment going on around us kept us occupied while we waited on our food. The food was good when it arrived, so after about an hour and half stop we hit the road again this time heading to Hendersonville on Hwy 64.
Hendersonville is very nice city. They have done a fantastic job with the downtown area. We turned left on 25 south and went through downtown. From there we followed 176 east to Saluda and Tryon. This is a very good motorcycle road with some tight turns and some oh no moments as you pick up speed going down the mountain.
As we leave Tryon the road levels out and we are done with the twisties as we enter South Carolina. We stopped at an old gas station museum for a photo op with the Spyder. 74933Then we passed through the little town of Landrum and continued on to Campobello and turned left on Rt. 11. After a stop at Strawberry Hill for some produce we continued on Rt.11 heading to Chesnee SC.
Then it’s on to Cliffside NC on Hwy 221 N, then to Boiling Springs. As we got to Gardener Webb University they had their graduation and we sat in traffic for a little while before we made it back to Shelby.
Miles traveled 169, gas consumed 4.5 gals, food $20 time spent with wife on spyder priceless. :thumbup: