PDA

View Full Version : Winter upgade ideas for Smurfette

smurfette
08-31-2013, 09:38 PM
I know it's early, but I was trying to get some ideas together for some upgrades to be done on Smurfette in January/February. I find myself getting addicted to twisties, so putting in Elkas is definitely in the running, and the sway bar from BajaRon. I don't mind an extra firm ride experience (after all, I do drive a 2500 HD pickup). Which Elkas would you recommend for the firmest ride? Also, would you put in the electronic air ride suspension system at the same time? Would also be interested in replacing the stock saddle with a Corbin saddle (not heated). Sorry to sound silly, but could someone please enlighten me as to the differences between their standard and Lamont cuts? A bit more info about Smurfette: she is a 2010 RT-A/C SE-5 transmission with the following farkles: fog lights, CB radio, 2B single carbon fiber pipe, and the new vented windshield. I know I can truly depend on my Spyder family for a wealth of knowledge and experience!!!:pray:

NancysToy
08-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Be careful about making the suspension too stiff. It needs to be optimized to work with your combination, to keep the wheels on the road. Len, at Pitbull Powersports can fix you up with Elkas set up properly for your riding style and the BajaRon bar. Give hime a call and discuss what would work best for you.

Bob Denman
09-01-2013, 07:13 AM
:agree: I added the "RonBar" & Elkas to my bike last Winter... :thumbup:
first test ride of the season; it was just too abrupt in it's responses. :shocked:
I had to dial back the preload by 3 turns, (1/4 inch), in order to put some forgiveness back into the equation...
The Elka Stage 1 shocks are a great addition... The "+R" model adds some rebound damping tunability; but I've never even touched that knob yet!
The more expensive Elkas add more tunability; not just a stiffer ride; it'll come down to how much you want to tinker with the settings...
On a 2010 RT ( like ine!:thumbup:); AI'd suggest adding BajaRon's Anti-SwayBar first... That's a real nice cost-effective addition. You can always bump up your preload on the OEM shocks (Did you upgrade to a later Model year set?)
Ron's Bar end-links won't help the handling; but you might as well put the best possible stuff up under there if it's already apart... :2thumbs:
Elkas can be added at any time if the handling still isn't the way that you want it.