PDA

View Full Version : over 12,000 Members Have any of you?

Yelhelp
08-31-2013, 05:45 AM
I'm having a issue with my 2011 RT , the rear shock is Shot. In my 50 years of driving and multiple vehicles Millions of miles driven until my :spyder2: I have never had a shock go bad, that's only two years old. :yikes:
BRP customer service says its a normal wear, and is not covered under the Best Warranty.:yikes:
How many :spyder2: have had your rear shock go bad and have had to have it replaced? Is this bad quality or am I just lucky, to not have this happen before?
Too everyone that responds thanks for the help!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

CyncySpyder
08-31-2013, 05:55 AM
Hmmmmmmm ................ sorry to hear this. We have an 11 also, now with a bit over 40 thousand miles and our rear shock still seems to be working as it should .......... so far :pray: and that's with towing Teddy's dog-house-on-wheels (Moto-Mate Camper) weighing right around the 400 pound limit (when loaded) for at least 12 thousand of those miles http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64727&d=1363621948 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2698&attachmentid=64726)

NancysToy
08-31-2013, 07:43 AM
Shocks are normally considered wear parts. They do deteriorate during use, and should be replaced or rebuilt periodically. Like batteries, their lives are variable. How long they last depends not only on the individual shock itself, but the types of road you ride, suspension settings, rider weight, whether you carry a passenger, etc. Most owners are getting good life from their rear shocks (my 2011 has 25,000 miles and is still good), but there have been some failures...and even some repeated replacements. Some owners have even opted to replace with an Elka as a result. I'd consider yours to be "the luck of the draw" unless it happens again. Then I would try to figure out why it is failing prematurely.

2 Cruysyn
08-31-2013, 08:52 AM
I'm having a issue with my 2011 RT , the rear shock is Shot. How many have had your rear shock go bad and have had to have it replaced? Is this bad quality or am I just lucky, to not have this happen before?

On my 2011 RTS at 9k miles the shock gave it up. Rebound dampening was a joke. Compression dampening was there but only after the piston traveled up an down a few times. Basically I was riding on the coil-over and the bag, once the compressor pumped it up. That was another problem partially resolved by tightening the schrader valve core under the seat and re-sealing the fitting at the top of the bag. Still have an air problem but it's comparatively minor, at least at the present time and hopefully until I get around to finding it.

ARtraveler
08-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Have 34K miles on my 2010 RT. No indicators yet that the shock needs replacing. This is my most high mileage :spyder2:. No shocks needed on the other three either.

Bob Denman
08-31-2013, 04:25 PM
That seems a bit premature... but they aRE considered to be a wear item... :gaah: (17,000 miles on my 2010...)

GloryRyders
09-01-2013, 05:01 AM
I had to have mine replaced last year around 21K-22K miles :lecturef_smilie: