PDA

View Full Version : Pull the rear axle?

AFSpyder
08-29-2013, 09:32 PM
I am going to set up my 2011 RS to pull a trailer. I have the wiring figured out. I know I can purchase a hitch setup easily. Here is the issue. In the installation instructions it says to raise the rear end off the ground and remove the axle. Shouldn't I just lift the backend up to just before the tire lifts and then pull the axle? All I picture is getting all done and not being able to get the axle back in :yikes:. Any advice from those who have done this:dontknow:?

NancysToy
08-29-2013, 10:18 PM
What kind of hitch? The BRP hitch does not require you to pull the axle.

If axle removal is required, I agree that the tire is best supported for easier axle reinsertion.

AFSpyder
08-30-2013, 06:35 PM

If axle removal is required, I agree that the tire is best supported for easier axle reinsertion.

This is for a RS and as far as I can find BRP doesn't offer a hitch for it. Only for a RT in which the pin goes through the axle. That would be too easy.:gaah:

spyryder
08-30-2013, 06:43 PM
This is for a RS and as far as I can find BRP doesn't offer a hitch for it. Only for a RT in which the pin goes through the axle. That would be too easy.:gaah:

The RT hitch also fits the RS. They just don't list it because the RS isn't recommended for towing.

NancysToy
08-30-2013, 07:18 PM
The RT hitch also fits the RS. They just don't list it because the RS isn't recommended for towing.

:agree:

AZSPYDER
09-09-2013, 02:52 PM
I pulled the axle per hitch instructions. There may be an easier way, but I had no problem

Flanker
09-09-2013, 06:59 PM

If axle removal is required, I agree that the tire is best supported for easier axle reinsertion. What he said. This technique transcends all platforms/vehicles.

redbaron5
09-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Could use some information on wiring my 2013 RT for a traler that is not the can-am brand. Any info would be appreciated. e-mail deejane762004@yahoo.com 336 982-6453. This is my first time on spyder lovers and have only 560 miles on my RT

AZSPYDER
09-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Not to familiar with the RT, but Tric-LED, one of our sponsors sells great adapters so you don't have to splice the factory harness. On the GS the turn signals and brake lights are separate so an adapter from any auto parts store will give you the four wires for an aftermarket trailer hookup.

SNOOPY
09-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Do you have pics of your hitch on your RS?

MrLooney
09-21-2013, 07:44 PM
what is the best hitch to install on a RS~S? Bushtech Frame Mount or BRP Swing Arm Mount??

AZSPYDER
09-23-2013, 10:57 PM
I went with a swing arm mount that I got on eBay. Pretty painless install. Wiring took longer than the hitch, and got the hitch for fifty bucks.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Not to familiar with the RT, but Tric-LED, one of our sponsors sells great adapters so you don't have to splice the factory harness. On the GS the turn signals and brake lights are separate so an adapter from any auto parts store will give you the four wires for an aftermarket trailer hookup.

The ones you can get for an auto will work............But they are too short for the Spyder or RT, you will have to splice in about 10 inches of wire .......or you can get one from CHRISCHROME.COM for $ 20 , it is for a GoldWing ( 5 to 4 bike to trl. ) and it is plenty long enough for any Spyder I know I have used it.....Mike :thumbup:

Questions
10-17-2013, 01:13 AM
I bought my Hitch from USATRAILERS in SC 299. I re wrote their instructions for installation. here are the high lites.

slip a floor jack under the frame of the Spyder foward of the swing arm. just bring the jack up to touch the frame. remove the nut and bolt on the bottom of the rear shock. pull on the shock bolt while easing the weight off the shock. at some point the bolt will slide out. jack the rear up until the tension is off the drive belt and its slack. the rear tire will be resting on the floor.

remove the carter key, and nut slide the axel out the left side (the side the drive belt is on) remove the washers on the axel and install the supplied plates on the axel as you re install the axel. finish by reversing the removal. like I said these are the highlites not step by step. its easier to do than to read how to. as you do it it will come to you.

If you take the axel out with out removing the tension from the drive belt, you will have a heck of a time getting the axel off and back in. if you need further email me ill be glad to help. Im not sure if they updated their installation instructions. but mine works great and the hitch looks almost identical to the 500 buck BRP hitch!

There is a hitch I saw on Ebay from Canada that attaches to the bottom of the license tag not a good Idea the rear fender barely stays on with out a trailer. my fender supports are broken at the top where they were bent for manufacturing and now has broken on both sides. BRP wont replace them.