PDA

View Full Version : Changing Exhaust

eagleeye299
08-29-2013, 07:54 PM
The two bolts that hold the stock pipe to the mid pipe, are they reverse threaded? having a hell of a time getting them off.:banghead:

quickster47
08-29-2013, 08:09 PM
The two bolts that hold the stock pipe to the mid pipe, are they reverse threaded? having a hell of a time getting them off.:banghead:

If you are referencing the two with the small hex, no, they are not left hand threads but they are one royal PITA to remove.

They take lots of TLC and them maybe an application of some serious vise grips to get them finally off. One of mine was pretty easy bu the other one, well, let me say I finally did get it off but not in one piece. And when I changed out my muffler my bike was new with only 147 miles on it.

Carl

Motorcycledave
08-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Righty Tighty & Lefty Loosey

eagleeye299
08-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Tomorrow I'll just cut them off.

Chupaca
08-29-2013, 08:17 PM
regular but if you have WD40 or liquid wrench it will help. Those get heat and are very dry. If you can back it out some oil it and drive it back in to get the threads lubed up.. Good luck..!! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-08-2013, 11:45 AM
I was VERY lucky; mine came loose without a hitch! :thumbup:

Colin
10-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Grinderwas a quick fix lol. One came off easy and the other wasn't so easy. Thanks to your comments here I made sure I had suitable replacements before starting the job of attaching my Akrapovic. Which, by the way, without the baffles has a real nice Deep Tone ;)

Bob Denman
10-24-2013, 07:38 AM
:congrats: Do you have any way to get us a video (with sound)?
We'd love to hear the results! :thumbup:

arris
10-24-2013, 08:51 AM
When you run upon tight bolts like you are talking about I always spray WD 40 and them try to tighten them just so you can move them a little bit. Keep tightening them and loosen them. This will crack the rust under the nuts. It always worked for me.

MrLooney
10-24-2013, 10:14 AM
When you run upon tight bolts like you are talking about I always spray WD 40 and them try to tighten them just so you can move them a little bit. Keep tightening them and loosen them. This will crack the rust under the nuts. It always worked for me.

:thumbup: + 1

By tightening the nut / bolt Jar lid first = this is how you break the seal. Examples on pickles, catsup, Mayo . . . . . . . .

Bob Denman
10-24-2013, 05:22 PM
I always say, "Give me a wrench with a long-enough handle, and I can break any bolt that I'm most likely not going to be able to find a replacement for!" :shocked:

Plyrod38
10-24-2013, 06:07 PM
I used a die grinder with a cutting wheel to get my bolts off. I went to the hardware store and bought a couple of stainless bolts with locking nuts to re-install the original muffler if I ever need to. The original bolts were like butter and both heads stripped out instantly.

Rayelljay
10-24-2013, 10:02 PM

Also......If you have the room, hammer taps to break the rust.

DriftersWay
10-25-2013, 04:40 AM
I use WD-40 and an impact gun set to low and wok the setting up till it comes off. The vibrations suck the WD-40 right into the threads. :)

napper39
10-25-2013, 11:41 AM
im not sure about the other years but i just replaced mine and the reason it was so hard to get off is there are real strong springs on the back of the bolt pushing agenset the nut so it was hard to turn all the way off then the springs fell out and the nut was off.and i mean tough spring.:yikes: