PDA

View Full Version : Got the Corbin Seat Mounted!!!

SpyderBiker
06-30-2008, 10:41 PM
It arrived at my office today and I mounted it as soon as I got off of work. Like all the other accessories...installation was a bit of a hassel.

Let me say 1st that the quality of the 2 piece seat is commendable...however, the fit at the leading edge is a bit too wide...the seat doesnt hug quite as close to the bodywork as I would have liked to have seen.

Second, big mistake on the part of Corbin. The seat will not fit if you have the sport rack installed. The hydraulic piston that holds the seat up hits the red knob you pull to open the sport rack...they cannot co-exist..I had to try trimming the red knob at first, hoping to get enough clearance but that was to no avail. I ended up not going with the piston at all.

Third, you have to adjust the pin that goes into the hole to lock the seat...I didnt notice it in the instructions because it wasnt mentioned! After much time spent trying to get it to close and latch I figured it out.

I'll post pictures tomorrow and a review of the comfort level as well. When I finished I had to literally run into the house...swarms of mosquitos were bombarding me.

spickus
07-01-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm glad you received your seat and got it mounted so quickly. I'm very interested in how comfortable you find it. I'm also a little irked at Corbin. I ordered my Corbin seat with one backrest on June the 18th but did not question the delay. I was told to expect a 4-5 week wait. While browsing the forums here, I find that yours shipped in 5 days. I contacted Jessica at Corbin about this:

Jessica

I'm writing to inquire about my order. Can you tell me when it will ship? The reason I ask is that while browsing the Spyder forums, I stumbled on this: "the item was shipped...in only 5 days!" (http://spyderlovers.com/smf/index.php?topic=1575.0) If it will hurry my order, I'll be happy to complain as well :)

Steve

To which she replied:

Hello,

Your order is still in production, check on it in 1-2 weeks to see if its cover completed. So far still in the seamstress area.

:cus:

I'm not fussing at you SpyderBiker. I sincerely hope you enjoy the saddle (please let me know) but that is not the way for Corbin to make repeat customers. If Corbin were able to ship you that seat in five days, someone else (like me) must have ordered it. Jessica could have responded in a less curt manner and at least made me feel better about being pushed to the back of the line. Oh well, I'll shut up now.

Derwin
07-01-2008, 10:23 AM
I am also interested to hear what you have to say about the Corbin seat. I just ordered the Corbin bags, and will probably order the seats.....But this depends on what people tell me about them. I sure don't want to be sitting on concrete as has been suggested by some.

Hopefully I'll be getting the bags about the same time I get my Spyder!

Derwin

nudle
07-01-2008, 01:18 PM
:2thumbs: pictures please

SpyderBiker
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I rode the spyder to work today and loved it. Very comfortable. It supports my bottom all around...much better than stock seat...no comparison. The ride to work is 45 minutes...it was just as nice comming home.

Then the big test. Rode with the little lady on the back for an hour and 20 minutes to a dinner stop...NO COMPLAINTS FROM HER!!! AShe could ride 20 minutes with the stock seat.

The only issues remaining after mounting the floorboards for her so she can reposition her feet and the Corbin seat for her you know what are the complaints of too much wind because of the useless windshield and that the suspension isn't as smooth as some of our previous bikes (touring class).

Bottom line, I'm a full supporter of the Corbin seat...it's fantastic. It also does a lot for the general appearance of the bike. See photos below.

As I said I didn't install the hydraulic arm because of the issues I had with it. I stopped for gas on the way home and it was no problem..I unlocked the seat, lifted it up, inserted the nozzle and lower the seat on the nozzle til it was done.

The other thing is that the pictures I saw on I believe the Corbin site showed that the rear seat hinged up as well....well it doesn't. It locks in position but when you unlock it you can lift up the rear and slide it out from under the driver's seat...the slight problem here is that the wiring is plugged into the sensor and then plugged into the harness on the frame...can't really move it far without unplugging the harness....little inconvenient but how often do you need to do this.

Enjoy the pictures and ask whatever questions...

http://www.spyderbiker.com/images/P1020366.jpg

http://www.spyderbiker.com/images/P1020365.jpg

http://www.spyderbiker.com/images/P1020364.jpg

http://www.spyderbiker.com/images/P1020363.jpg

captainryder
07-01-2008, 11:18 PM
(1) I don't understand? You say the seat will not work with the sport rack? Yet your pictures clearly show the sport rack attached? What piston?:hun::hun:

(2) Describe these floorboards and what pins I need to make that mod. My wife will be an "intergral piece" of my Spyder so I want her comfortable as possible.....

TJ_Spyder
07-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Seat looks great. Do you sit higher/lower, forward/back compared to stock, or about the same? What windshield is that and how does it compare to stock?

thx

scottmanesis
07-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Glad you like the seat! It looks alot more "plush" than the corbin I had on my goldwing in the photos anyhowe.

Lamonster
07-02-2008, 04:38 AM
Looks good. :thumbup: I'm sure we will be seeing more of these and more reports back from users. :doorag:

SpyderBiker
07-02-2008, 06:13 AM
To clarify and answer the question asked above...

Corbin obviously didn't have a spyder with a sport rack on it when they designed the seat...they are not compatible if the seat is mounted as described and if you want to utilize the hydraulic piston that props the seat up in the air when you gas up or check brake fluid. The piston and the sport racks red release handle occupy the same space...not possible. Try parking both your cars in the same parking space you'll see what I mean...something has to give...you can park one or the other in any given space but not both.

I mounted the seat without the piston because I didn't want to remove the sport rack. When I gas up, I manually raise the front seat (the Corbin is a 2 piece seat...front for driver and rear for passenger) after unlocking it with the ignition key...insert the gas nozzle and let the seat come down and sit on the nozzle...it's really no big deal...I gassed up with the Corbin seat yesterday afternoon.

I got the seat Monday (way ahead of schedule) and installed it Monday evening (of course...who'd wait!). last night (Tuesday) I get an email from Corbin with the installation instructions...I haven't yet compared the printed instructions that came with the seat to the emailed ones that came last night.

Bottom line...excellent seat both visually and ergonomically. I feel it was well worth the $500 investment. The hardest part of installation is adjusting the length of the locking pis on the underside of the front and rear seat so they'll engage the lock mechanisms.

PS. If you get the seat and you have a sport rack installed just dont use the original seat piston and keep in mind you don't have to remove the entire sport rack in the process...loosen the 4 internal bolts so you have some play with the sport rack to get at the original seat hinge and your good to go.

SpyderBiker
07-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Seat looks great. Do you sit higher/lower, forward/back compared to stock, or about the same? What windshield is that and how does it compare to stock?

thx
I think I sit pretty much the same amount forward and backward. If there is a difference at all...I think it angles me tilted more forward...but it is definately a comfortable position. What I really like is that the seat cradles me...I feel like I'm IN THE SEAT...NOT ON A SEAT.

SpyderBiker
07-02-2008, 06:57 AM

thx
It's the MMG windsheild available on Ebay.

captainryder
07-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Thanks for clarifying, I wrote those questions last night, late, and then as I was thinking about it in bed, realized what you were saying. I have the backrest ordered as well and needed the sport rack. Otherwise I would have to use the Corbin backrest, and did not want to waste money

nudle
07-02-2008, 10:29 AM
:2thumbs: Great pictures. Love the floor boardes. Where did you get them and are they hard to install. Thanks

dabreitbach
07-02-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm also pissed at corbin. Ordered mine on 6/12 tld 4-5 7/3 was the delivery date on my confirmation receipt was 7/3. Called them when I read this and was told that the delivery date was now MAYBE 7/10. I was told that nothing could be done. Been waiting for over a day for the guy to call me back as to how this could happen. I won't hold my breath!!!

Zerocool
07-04-2008, 09:24 PM
:2thumbs: Great pictures. Love the floor boardes. Where did you get them and are they hard to install. Thanks

:agree: Ditto on the floorboards.

My buddy, the Dalai Lama of the Valkyrie club, helped me put the BRP luggage rack and back rest on today. My wife would be much more comfortable with floorboards vs. the pegs.

Thanks.

Z.

SpyderBiker
07-05-2008, 09:57 AM
If you want a set of the floorboards I will sell you an extra set that I've got. You'll just need to but 4 bolts, washers and locknuts. It's easy to install...just drill 2 holes in each floorboard. The hardware doesn't show. It's a fast an easy installation. You can have the new boards for $89 if you like. Make paymeent via payPal.

chrisms100
10-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I just installed my heated corbin seats yesterday and thanks for the tip about adjusting the locking pin. Now a tip for you - have you tried putting the hydraulic piston on after you adjusted the locking pin? Mine would not work, like you said, with the sport rack's red knob. But, after I adjusted the locking pin it works perfect. Try it, you'll be happy!

chrisms100
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
I just remembered - when you have the piston in position, you will notice 2 wires under it, slide the piston under these wires instead of on top of them.

araneae
10-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I installed the Corbin seat with the BRP backrest / rack. It installed fine with the piston and red release knob. It's little tight to get at the release knob but can be done with one finger easily enough.

Bryan

Laz
10-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Looks like the Corbin lets you set lower in the saddle than the factory seat. How much lower do you set front and rear?:dontknow:

It arrived at my office today and I mounted it as soon as I got off of work. Like all the other accessories...installation was a bit of a hassel.

Let me say 1st that the quality of the 2 piece seat is commendable...however, the fit at the leading edge is a bit too wide...the seat doesnt hug quite as close to the bodywork as I would have liked to have seen.

Second, big mistake on the part of Corbin. The seat will not fit if you have the sport rack installed. The hydraulic piston that holds the seat up hits the red knob you pull to open the sport rack...they cannot co-exist..I had to try trimming the red knob at first, hoping to get enough clearance but that was to no avail. I ended up not going with the piston at all.

Third, you have to adjust the pin that goes into the hole to lock the seat...I didnt notice it in the instructions because it wasnt mentioned! After much time spent trying to get it to close and latch I figured it out.

I'll post pictures tomorrow and a review of the comfort level as well. When I finished I had to literally run into the house...swarms of mosquitos were bombarding me.

gaby
10-15-2008, 11:19 PM
is corbin the only once that make stuff for the spider? i just got mine and never had a bike before. the saddle bags and the backrest look cool but i'm not too hot about the price..? any info would be great. thanks
oh by the way am i the only spider in houston ???

bjt
10-16-2008, 06:30 AM
is corbin the only once that make stuff for the spider? i just got mine and never had a bike before. the saddle bags and the backrest look cool but i'm not too hot about the price..? any info would be great. thanks
oh by the way am i the only spider in houston ???

Welcome to SpyderLovers gaby. welcome

Corbin is not the only choice for Spyder accessories. First, there are many generic motorcycle things that will fit the Spyder. Go to any bike shop or online retailer to see hundreds of common bike accessories that can also work on a Spyder.

Bill Mayer (http://billmayersaddles.com/october25homepage.html) and Russell (http://www.day-long.com/) are two companies that will make upgraded seats (actually, they rebuild your current Spyder seat) for the Spyder. Industries7 (http://www.industries7.com/pages/Spy360.jsp) is a company that makes a saddlebag and tail bag system that is less expensive than the Corbin set. Nelson-Rigg (http://www.nelsonrigg.com/index.htm) and Cortech (http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/home.php?cat=31) are two companies (there are many others also) that make generic, soft sided saddlebags and tailbags that will work on a Spyder.

The home page of this site (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/) has links or contact info for NoMagicNeon, KewlMetal, Bushtec and BilletBikeParts that each make specific products for the Spyder. Bottom line is, there's a lot of stuff out there made specifically for the Spyder and a whole bunch of other stuff that can be adapted for the Spyder. :thumbup: