PDA

View Full Version : Smoothspyder belt tensioner vs Baker belt stabilizer

Doug
08-29-2013, 06:04 AM
I believe from what I've read they both do the same thing by preventing the flapping of the belt and decreasing the harmonics, which in turn reduces or eliminates the vibration. If in fact this is true and the installation of this product does not create any other problems or void any warranties, which one is recommended, Baker or Smoothspyder.

jtpollock
08-29-2013, 06:54 AM
I have the smoothspyder and have had for a year I like it, not sure about the other product. The dealer does not know how to deal with the smoothspyder there not to bright. I highly recommend the smoothspyder it also works as a deer whistle. :ohyea:
jtpollock

Captain Fin
08-29-2013, 07:49 AM
I installed the Smooth Spyder and have been happy. It makes a slight turbo whine and does a great job of reducing belt slap.

oldgoat
08-29-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm happy with my SmoothSpyder.

jthornton
08-29-2013, 08:27 AM
My dealer adjusted the belt at the last service and my vibrations from the belt went away.

JT

bobnaquin
08-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Smoothspyder. It does sound like a turbocharger and I have not seen a deer or dog since I put it on 17,000 miles ago.

Jim&Teresa
08-29-2013, 08:42 AM
My choice is the Smoothspyder....don't know much about the other one. I like the design of the Smoothspyder.

bigflax925
08-29-2013, 10:04 AM
Interesting question, as I have been wondering the same thing.

The Baker touts itself as a super quick install and shows pics on their website to back that up.

How is the install of the Smoothspyder? There are no instructions on the website.

kyspyder
08-29-2013, 10:06 AM
I have the Baker Built Belt Stabilizer and am very pleased with the reduction in vibration.
It was a simple 3 minute installation and works very well with no noise.

KYSPYDER

Chupaca
08-29-2013, 11:17 AM
most have one or the other. Now they can comment on the one they have and if working well will not buy the other. Trick is to find someone who has had both and is not one of the manufacturers...Oh we have the smoothspyder so you know our opinion...:thumbup:

Also consider the smoothspyder has been out longer than the baker

AbNormy
08-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Deer whistle? :thumbup:

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

mrb
08-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Smoothspyder. It does sound like a turbocharger and I have not seen a deer or dog since I put it on 17,000 miles ago.
Believe it or not I have seen an RT with a Smoothspyder that made a significant turbine whine. We changed pulleys and bearings and nothing helped. Then the owner cleaned the road grime off the back of the belt where the pulley runs and guess what- noise was gone almost entirely.

bobnaquin
08-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Believe it or not I have seen an RT with a Smoothspyder that made a significant turbine whine. We changed pulleys and bearings and nothing helped. Then the owner cleaned the road grime off the back of the belt where the pulley runs and guess what- noise was gone almost entirely.

I don't mind the whine but I am going to try this and see what happens. Then if I hit a deer it is your fault..like that is going to matter.

Glider3J
08-29-2013, 08:24 PM
I have the Baker and am very happy with it.

MMcc
08-29-2013, 08:58 PM
I had the smooth spyder on my 2008 GS. I believe it made a great improvement. How do I know. When I took the bike in for replacement of the rear brake pads which were always squealing the dealer/tech had never seen one and so he took it off thinking it was not to be there. When I picked up the bike I noticed the vibrations immediately. Returned to the dealer and asked where is the belt tensioner pully. The service manager did not understand what I was talking about so I showed him the brackets which remained on the frame. We then went to speak to the tech who finally admitted that he had removed it as it was not standard equipment. Got them to re install it and left. Had to adjust it again which was not difficult. BTY I never took the bike back to that dealer for service again. This past winter I noticed that they had closed the doors. It was a close 50 miles ride to them and 150 to the next dealer but I never looked back.

modagwood
08-29-2013, 08:59 PM
what did you clean belt with, some ind of cleaner? thanks

Flanker
08-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Had a good laugh about the Smooth Spyder unintended deer repellent feature!

vstrommer
01-17-2016, 07:38 PM
Soooo now that time has passed does anyone have any comments on the different belt stabilizers on their maintenance and reliability record and preference? :firstplace: I still wonder which one I should get after reading about them...:dontknow:

Bfromla
01-17-2016, 07:47 PM
Smooth spyder:firstplace: Fyi i only have the backrest but Jim makes fine products. & great customer service:thumbup::coffee: I believe the tensioner also doubles as a bely guard for rocks,
not sure, but Farkle that does double:2thumbs::yes:

finless
01-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Lots of info and videos here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?67539-Smooth-Spyder-install-video-with-lots-of-videos-showing-performance

Bob

trikermutha
01-18-2016, 11:25 AM
I know there been topics on this in the past and if you take it back to the dealer they should have a service bulletin about belt adjustments..
From my understanding they suggest to lower the belt tension to cut down on vibrations.

finless
01-18-2016, 12:45 PM
BRP has changed the belt spec 3 times (maybe more). My 2011 is still running the spec before they upped it in 2013 to reduce the vibe.
Smooth Spyder still helps as you will never get rid of the vibe since it is speed/load related.
All the change did was make it not happen at most people's cruising speed but now you will get it an other speeds.

Just my take...

Bob

vstrommer
01-18-2016, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know if the Missing Belt Guard from Spydrepops work with one or the other belt tensioners or both on a 2015 RT ?:dontknow:

Lew L
01-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know if the Missing Belt Guard from Spydrepops work with one or the other belt tensioners or both on a 2015 RT ?:dontknow:

This may be my next farkel, so I would like to know also as I already have the MBG installed.

Thanks,
Kaos