PDA

View Full Version : i forgot to mention

cuznjohn
08-27-2013, 08:46 AM
when i go out on Sundays i go to a place called OAK BEACH on long island, it is a place that all bikers and car people go. my bike always gets a lot of looks and questions and someone told me that a semi big shot on long island bought a spyder and was riding it with out a motorcycle license, he was pulled over for some reason and got a ticket fr riding a motorcycle w/o a motorcycle endorsement, they said he is fighting it in court because a 3 wheeled bike is not a motorcycle because bikes have two wheels, now as far i as know 3 wheeled bikes are still motorcycles and require a license , i feel he is going to loose the case, is there anywhere that a spyder does not need a motorcycle license in the states .

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 08:57 AM
He's already lost that argument...
New York State has defined "motorcycles" to be any vehicle with less than 4 wheels...

Dan McNally
08-27-2013, 09:00 AM
I've heard that California lets folks ride it without a motorcycle license . . . but that doesn't play in New York. He will lose in court.

Harvey
08-27-2013, 09:04 AM
when i go out on Sundays i go to a place called OAK BEACH on long island, it is a place that all bikers and car people go. my bike always gets a lot of looks and questions and someone told me that a semi big shot on long island bought a spyder and was riding it with out a motorcycle license, he was pulled over for some reason and got a ticket fr riding a motorcycle w/o a motorcycle endorsement, they said he is fighting it in court because a 3 wheeled bike is not a motorcycle because bikes have two wheels, now as far i as know 3 wheeled bikes are still motorcycles and require a license , i feel he is going to loose the case, is there anywhere that a spyder does not need a motorcycle license in the states . I have checked the requirements for all states and South Carolina is the only state that does not require a M/C endorsement/license. You can find your own state or Canadian requirements at http://spyder.brp.com/license-requirements.

EnjoyingTheRyde
08-27-2013, 09:11 AM
I have checked the requirements for all states and South Carolina is the only state that does not require a M/C endorsement/license. You can find your own state or Canadian requirements at http://spyder.brp.com/license-requirements.

...for car license only.

Pirate looks at --
08-27-2013, 09:19 AM
I've heard that California lets folks ride it without a motorcycle license . . . but that doesn't play in New York. He will lose in court.

Yep we are unincumbered by the need to have a motorcycle license. Just a standard class C will get the job done.

EnjoyingTheRyde
08-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Yep we are unincumbered by the need to have a motorcycle license. Just a standard class C will get the job done.

If you can ryde your Spyder in California and South Carolina with a class C automobile license, can you cross state lines? :dontknow:

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Good Question! :thumbup:
Does anybody have the correct answer? :dontknow:

bigflax925
08-27-2013, 09:48 AM
If you can ryde your Spyder in California and South Carolina with a class C automobile license, can you cross state lines? :dontknow:

If your Spyder is registered in, and you have a license from, another state that doesn't require a M/C license; you should be able to cross state lines unencumbered.... so long as you are following that state's traffic laws.

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 09:50 AM
That's kind of what I'm thinking as well...
I just wondered if there were any court decisions that would add some more meat to that sandwich. ;)

OldCowboy
08-27-2013, 09:53 AM

Absolutely! The U.S. Constitution requires that states accept other states licenses. Otherwise, being married or divorced in one state would not count in another state. The same goes for driver's licenses. That being said, if I had a California or SC drivers license without a motorcycle endorsement, I'd carry a copy of the relevant statute that says I don't have to have one to legally ryde a :spyder2: . That might keep you from being hassled if you're pulled over in another state.

EnjoyingTheRyde
08-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Maybe somebody from California or South Carolina will chime in...

Motorcycledave
08-27-2013, 10:07 AM
The state of California does not consider a Spyder a motorcycle.
A motorcycle has TWO (2) wheels. No M/C lic. required if it's not a
motorcycle.

Well Hell
08-27-2013, 10:10 AM
...for car license only. Cali does not require a M/C endorsement. I believe Texas does. Oh yeah by the way "I LOVE THIS MACHINE":clap::yes::2thumbs: We have had it for 6 weeks now and have 1700 miles on it already. I have discovered that work gets in the way of ryding. But hey it helps to have a steady supply of gas money;):shocked:

Well Hell
08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
The state of California does not consider a Spyder a motorcycle. No MC lic required. Yeah its funny they do not require the endorsement because they don't show it as a motorcycle but you can take advantage of the HOV's as a motorcycle. They are just confused out here. I think they haven't gotten around to requiring the endorsement because they don't realize they can make some omney from it. Shhhhhhhhh:shocked::yikes:

Pirate looks at --
08-27-2013, 10:16 AM
My understanding is that if you have a valid California Class C license and are driving in another state they will respect California Law. Now they may not know California Law, and that could cause a problem. But with all the great riding country in California, I may not live log enough to get out f the state.

cuznjohn
08-27-2013, 10:54 AM
OK HERE IS A QUESTION i use EZ pass on my car and have one for my bike, i get a discount because of a motorcycle, now that i have 3 wheels is it still considered a motorcycle or will i pay more at the tolls because of the extra wheel

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 11:02 AM
John,

New York State has defined "motorcycles" to be any vehicle with less than 4 wheels...

Chupaca
08-27-2013, 11:42 AM
living in California is a hoot..!! True you do not need a motorcycle license to pilot a spyder but you do need to wear a helmet. You can use motorcycle parking as well as auto parking. Wonder what they will do with that elio thing..!! as for hov..both motorcycles and trikes (going in either direction) are at 50% capacity when it is driven so they are allowed. For the most part the ryders here came from motorcycle and have both anyway. I do...:thumbup:

boborgera
08-27-2013, 11:58 AM
, can you cross state lines? :dontknow:
Only if she's over 18... But for the Spyder , Yes you can....

Dan_Ashley
08-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Short answer: All states honor all other states driving licenses. So, if you have a California class C you can drive your 3 wheel motorcycle anywhere.

Pirate looks at --
08-27-2013, 05:48 PM
John,

Bob, I didn't think Barney could lose weight, but he sure has. Almost by the hour?

bruiser
08-27-2013, 08:41 PM
States must accept valid DLs from other states. This includes all endorsements, restrictions or special licenses.

Do you know why there is no national DL?