PDA

View Full Version : PEOPLE OVER 35 SHOULD BE DEAD...

boborgera
08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead based paint....

We had no childproof lids on bottles, doors or cabinets, And when we rode our bikes we had no helmets...

As children we would ride in cars with out seat belts or airbags.....

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was fun....

We drank water from the garden hose... Horrors....

We ate cupcakes, peanut butter sandwiches, and drank soda with sugar in it, But we were never overweight'
because we were always out side playing....

We shared one soft drink with four friends from one bottle, And no one ever died from this....

We would spend hours building our scooters out of scraps and then rode down the hill only to find out we forgot,
the brakes....

After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem....

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, As long we were back when the street lights came on....

And finally........ No one was able to reach us all day........

Chupaca
08-26-2013, 11:39 PM
we (older guys) did oh.!! So much more. But then those were better times and you had to live them. Telling young folks only leaves puzzled looks on their faces...:rolleyes:

cuznjohn
08-27-2013, 01:58 AM
you forgot to mention the ones that went to catholic schools got our hands hit with 12 inch rulers if we were bad. we also had parents that were not afraid to give us a slap if we did something wrong, we respected the police because we could of been dragged home by the scruff of our necks because we did something wrong, i could go on and on being born in 1951

reverendg
08-27-2013, 06:28 AM
you forgot to mention the ones that went to catholic schools got our hands hit with 12 inch rulers if we were bad. we also had parents that were not afraid to give us a slap if we did something wrong, we respected the police because we could of been dragged home by the scruff of our necks because we did something wrong, i could go on and on being born in 1951The other thing....neighbors talked to each other and even were known to discipline each other's kids if needed!! I can remember coming home only to have dad tell me I was grounded because the neighbors let him know I was hanging around in front of the record store. When I questioned the veracity of their claim he was to the point...."They have no reason to lie to me, you do".

Dan McNally
08-27-2013, 06:41 AM
I was born in 1948. Learned to shoot by the time I was eight. My cousin and I, at 11, used to strap .22 rifles to our handlebars and ride out of town to shoot woodchucks and squirrels. We also used to cut the ends off empty CO2 cartridges with a hacksaw, break the tips off wooden matches, and pack the CO2 cartridges with the match tips. Then we'd use lengths of pipe as barrels, and launch them by lighting the end of the cartridge. We played "Army" with bb guns . . . and actually shot each other . . . and yet, now 65, we both still live, and both still have 10 fingers and two eyes!

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Could it have just been the thrill of NOT dying about sixteen times each day that made it more fun?? :yikes:
(Taking a go-kart, and bolting a 30 hp snowmobile engine to it...)
(When did bicycles EVER have brakes that worked?)
(Three young boys in the woods with .22s)
(Figuring out how to start and drive Dad's car in the yard without him knowing about it; at age 10!)

boborgera
08-27-2013, 07:22 AM
The other thing.... I was grounded because the neighbors let him know I was hanging around in front of the record store.

Just curious, What in the world is a record store?

cuznjohn
08-27-2013, 07:31 AM
grandparents hitting you when you were bad and than telling mom and dad when they got home and being hit again, having tv taken away for 2 days and not being able to say you were sorry and getting the privilege back, i grew up in EAST HARLEM NEW YORK and my father was a tough guy, and i remember like it was yesterday that he said to me, i don't like the kids you are hanging out with and your going to end up in jail, but as your father i will get you out as soon as i can, but when you get home your going to wish you were back in jail and i knew what he meant and that kept me in line most of the time. than we moved to where i live now in queens NY and the parents around here didn't want their kids to hang with me because they said i was wild lol. as i got older my father brought home boxing gloves and would say i am going to teach you how to box, but the gloves would only come out when i did something bad and i would get my butt kicked. all in all i feel like i turned out to be a pretty good guy and for medical reasons have never had children but my father lives in me in a way that i also don't tolerate children or teens doing stupid things and i open my mouth on occasion and i have to remember that i am not as young as i used to me and teens no longer have respect for older people.

WV Spyder Ryder
08-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Used to live where there were no street light (different area but still don't). But if nothing else you had to be home an hour or two before dark so you had to pay attention to the sun. It made no difference if was cloudy :roflblack:.

OldDog
08-27-2013, 08:39 AM
We would go down to the " bottoms" by the river and ride our bikes over every path we could find. These were ordinary Schwinns and Huffys not your fancy Mountain bikes. No helmets or safety gear of any kind. Some of the dare devil stuff we did as kids would petrify our parents if they knew. I'm lucky to have made it to adulthood.

Flanker
08-27-2013, 08:48 AM
The other thing....neighbors talked to each other and even were known to discipline each other's kids if needed!! I can remember coming home only to have dad tell me I was grounded because the neighbors let him know I was hanging around in front of the record store. When I questioned the veracity of their claim he was to the point...."They have no reason to lie to me, you do".

DDOOHH!! Been there; heard that! On more than one occasion (my brother and I were slow learners) we irritated a neighbor, teacher, or friends parent/s to the point they felt it necessary to make a "negative performance evaluation" on us to my parents. We always got a chance to explain our side of the story, :pray: but more often than not......................."we were toast" (long before we understood what being toast meant too!).

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 08:58 AM
...lived through it; got the scars!
AND the great memories! :thumbup:

mxz600
08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
How about playing a game of Jarts, aka Lawn Darts. I still have mine.

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 10:31 AM
74691 :2thumbs:

OldCowboy
08-27-2013, 10:46 AM
When I was growing up, we occasionally had a kid killed in a farm accident or drown in one of the local lakes or streams. When that happened, they didn't call in grief counselors or have candlelight vigils. If you knew the kid real well, you went to their funeral and cried a bit. And your parents used the death as an object lesson, saying things like, "That's what happens when you go swimming alone," or, "If you ride on the back of a tractor, you're liable to fall off and get killed."

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 11:04 AM
"Grief counselors" :shocked:
How many times did your Mom offer to, "Give you something to cry about"?

boborgera
08-27-2013, 12:29 PM
I wasn't a kid then, But around 19 years old, When we didn't have time to wait for the peanut butter/mosquito repellent to get hot' I would break open hand grenades and cook ''C''s with the Comp B, And sometimes peal some of the C4 from claymores to cook with also.. We really lived dangerously them days.....:yikes:

Pirate looks at --
08-27-2013, 12:47 PM

We had no childproof lids on bottles, doors or cabinets, And when we rode our bikes we had no helmets...

We ate cupcakes, peanut butter sandwiches, and drank soda with sugar in it, But we were never overweight'

We shared one soft drink with four friends from one bottle, And no one ever died from this....

We would spend hours building our scooters out of scraps and then rode down the hill only to find out we forgot,
the brakes....

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, As long we were back when the street lights came on....

all true but you may want to change the Tit,e of the thread. In 1978 a lot of the "controls were coming. I would say "People ver 50 should be dead" the government starting worrying to much about us in 1978. After all we have to be protected from ourselves!

boborgera
08-27-2013, 01:41 PM
all true but you may want to change the Tit,e of the thread. In 1978 a lot of the "controls were coming. I would say "People ver 50 should be dead" the government starting worrying to much about us in 1978. After all we have to be protected from ourselves!

Your right, I accidentally typed 35, i was going for 60, after i submitted it i couldn't change it.....:dontknow: 35 is too young, I'm wearing underwear older than that at this very moment...:shocked:

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 01:56 PM
I would break open hand grenades and cook ''C''s with the Comp B, And sometimes peal some of the C4 from claymores to cook with also.. We really lived dangerously them days.....:yikes:
Kind of lends a new meaning to "PoP!-corn" :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-27-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for posting the thread. We are sure living in a different world today. Life was so much simpler then.

spydermyke990
08-27-2013, 05:56 PM
I guess I'm a youngster here, wasn't born till '70. Back in high school we didn't have iPads,iPods, iPhones, and the only cell phones were the size of a lunchbox, required an antennae suction cupped to the back window, and it was just a PHONE. The only apple computer I messed with was the one in study hall, and that had a green/black screen, and the only game on it was lode runner. We didn't sext, text, tweet or even IM, and we sure as hell didn't have AOL or even an Internet. Phones still had a rotary dial, and we even had 8 track tapes! The 3 wheeler I had back then was dangerous, and sex was "safe" . Suv's were blazers, broncos, and ram chargers, and they weren't "soccermom mobiles". You could still get 10 years out of a pickup truck, and camaros, firebirds, and mustangs were the real fast cars. We has bugs bunny, the three stooges, and voltron for the kids, while the grown ups watched knight rider, Dallas, and hill street blues. The only channels were abc, CBS and NBC, and instead of Espn there was wide world of sports. And instead of gears of war, halo, and FarmVille, we had space invaders, PAC man, and donkey kong.....

boborgera
08-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks for posting the thread. We are sure living in a different world today. Life was so much simpler then.

It's all relative, I guess.? My old man would always say; I don't know how you kids are gonna survive in the future;
Gas will be a dollar a gal, bread will be a dollar a loaf, Cars will cost 3 grand,
And that's if the commies don't drop the big one on us first....
Somehow we managed to survive, But i think it's getting harder for our kids to have fun' just being kids...
Times are a changing. and moving too fast...

Bob Ledford
08-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Just curious, What in the world is a record store?

Well Sonny a record store was where you went to buy records! You could buy them in sizes. 45 RPM usually was the popular stuff. Medium size was 33 1/3 RPMs and contained the more like stuff that us kids didn't like to hear. You know Martin, Sinatra, Patti Paige, Kate Smith stuff. Large size or hi-speed stuff almost all that I remember contained the hi-brow music like the big bands, and romantic kissy face stuff.

they were made out of black vinyl materiel and woo be your butt if you dropped the needle and arm on one an scratched it

Bob Ledford
08-27-2013, 06:58 PM
It's all relative, I guess.? My old man would always say; I don't know how you kids are gonna survive in the future;
Gas will be a dollar a gal, bread will be a dollar a loaf, Cars will cost 3 grand,
And that's if the commies don't drop the big one on us first....
Somehow we managed to survive, But i think it's getting harder for our kids to have fun' just being kids...
Times are a changing. and moving too fast...

you could go to the movies on Saturday morning for $0.25 eat popcorn and DOTS for a dime. Catch the latest movies with Gene Autry, Lash LaRue, Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Zorro, The Lone Ranger an Tonto, Hopalong Cassidy and probably a dozen more that I can't readily recall. You also got to see "The World at War" the newsreel news on the Great War in the Pacific. Then the police action in South Korea where "the Frozen Chosen" made the News before the US Army got them semi adequate cold weather gear or was that DARPA.

You walked, ran or rode your bicycle to school instead of a school bus. Getting sent to the Prinicpal's Office you were going to stand up for supper if Mom did not beat your butt first. Then make you fresh cookies! Dad would make you miss the Mickey Mouse Show on the TV but you could watch the test pattern screen for hours. If it was really bad you missed Kukla, Fran an Ollie for a whole week. Plus you had to dry the dishes, take the trash out for a week and lose your bike. In the winter it was no sledding but you could use the snow shovel to clear a path from the street to the front door.

WV Spyder Ryder
08-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Used to ride bike my from neighbor to neighbor, which was around 1/2 mile a part, and sold the Grit paper.

boborgera
08-27-2013, 07:25 PM
You know Martin, Sinatra, Patti Paige, Kate Smith

I know Sinatra, and Smith sung for the Yankees, But who were the other two?:rolleyes::joke:

Doktor
08-27-2013, 07:33 PM
I'd got my first ticket when I was 9, we were just outside of the Haynesville woods, in upper Maine, my Dad was asleep in the back of the station wagon, (does anyone still make them) with the back seat folded down, the officer didn't see any driver, and pulled us over. I had a panic attack yelling at my Dad that the police was behind me. My Dad actually was the one that got the ticket, but I was driving, lol.
That was also when I first rode a motorcycle, an old Indian. It was 1957, there was still fear and respect for the law, and, at the same time, a rebellious nature. Korea was over with, helmets weren't much in the protection department, and rarely worn. We all drooled over Annette, on the only color television in the neighborhood. If the neighbor's Mom had to clobber us, you can bet you would get it again when you got home. We would jump our bikes, that we bought and paid for with soda bottles, and walked to the store about 2 1/2 miles from the house to return them, and never considered asking Ma to give us a ride. Someone mentioned having their 22's on their handlebars, we were never accused of being terrorists, if anyone said anything at all, it was be careful, son. We would sometimes go camping with Jim in his Model A pickup that he'd been paid to haul off, he'd pick us up, we would bring our rifles, fishing rods, and sleeping bags, along with some just in case food. Eric, my cousin, was 364 days older than me, he'd bring the matches, his sleeping bag, and his trumpet, I learned to love "Midnight in Moscow" on that horn, as well as many other classic and jazz music, and never thought it was strange to like "homemade" music. We could get a box of 22 LR at the hardware store for a quarter, about 13 soda bottles, and we would walk that 2 1/2 miles, after rounding up those 13 bottles from the neighbors.
Why don't we get back to those days.

Doc

boborgera
08-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Kind of lends a new meaning to "PoP!-corn" :thumbup:

Got a interesting true story about Pop corn,[Jiffy-pop]
Got a care package from my Mother [nam66] in it was some jiffy -pop, And while on patrol we at a Montagnard village
I figured I'll treat some of the kids with some Amercan food besides ''C''s, Well once the jiffy pop started to expand and pop, They
Took off like Charlie was on their tail, Took a lot of coaching to get them back to try some..
But the smiles on their faces were well worth it.... Not all of Nam was hell.

lookerjdc
08-30-2013, 07:00 PM

the brakes....

yes, those were the days.....

we made skate boards from actual wood boards and the wheels from roller skates

we got smacked when we did something wrong and sometimes occasionally actually learned something from it

we went to concerts and smoked strange cigarettes.... lol

the Rat Pack

bruisersbaby
09-01-2013, 09:47 PM
I am so very thankful we have those days to remember; playing until it was dark outside was our curfew, riding bikes on the street and didn't have to worry about the traffic or someone taking you off of your bike and kidnapping you; knowing who your neighbors were and they had just as much right to discipline you as your parents! I feel sorry for the kids of today, buried in their ipads, ipods, computers. Texting and not talking, families who don't get together anymore for birthdays and other special occasions. I cherish my childhood memories and would not trade them for anything.