PDA

View Full Version : What have you hit with your Spyder.........

Hovdestar
08-26-2013, 05:19 PM
.............and how did you, your co-rider, your Spyder, and what you hit fare? Just wondering.

I've been considering going back to two wheels. I really, really miss leaning in the curves. Then, a couple of weeks ago, a buddy was riding his brand new Suzuki cruiser, a few days after the start of a five week motorcycle tour from his Oregon home, and he hit a "killer deer" in Montana as he was going about 60 mph.

Another driver saw it all, and my buddy doesn't remember a lot about the collision, but says that he does remember sliding for a long ways on the pavement. He believes that the large front fairing of his cruiser helped.

Somewhere in mid air, he and the deer collided. He cracked a rib, had a lot of bruising, but he had on all the safety gear, and he survived. The bike was a total, and so was the deer.

Sooooooo, as much as I miss two, I'm not sure that I want to miss the stability of three. That's why I'm wondering what you've hit, and how things went. Thanks. <M>

Bob Denman
08-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Well... Let's see...
First; I hit a Subaru!
That wasn't fun; the Missus was in the Jeep behind me and saw the entire episode unfold! :shocked:
End result: $13,000 in damages to the Spyder, and $,000 to the Suby... :yikes:
Next; I got sideswped by a Van...
My left front fender really cobbed up the side of his vehicle... Curiously; I suffered no damage! :thumbup:
The third chapter opens up with me hitting a dog.. I managed to take the poor sucker with the right front tire, so the bodywork under the nose was safe.
But it busted my center windshield strut! :dontknow:
I guess when the bike landed; it took a good hard landing back on the road... :opps:
So as you can see; I'm a dues-paying member of the Spyder Crash Test Dummies Club!

But to balance out all of the carnage: I use the bike to hit the local pizza joints, ice cream stands, diners, dealers, and coffee houses too! :thumbup:

farmerjim
08-26-2013, 06:08 PM
I hit a racoon at night on a long sweeping curve doing around 50 coming home from work. I swerved just a little and managed to hit him with the front struts. Neither wheel hit him, but it was dark, so I don't know if he survived. No damage to me or the bike, but I'm absolutely sure that if I'd been on two wheels on that curve, I would have been down.

farmerjim
Jim Dumey

Bob Ledford
08-26-2013, 06:47 PM
I have killed a bunch of bugs:doorag:

boborgera
08-26-2013, 06:53 PM
When I had my Spyder I Turned a few squirrels into fly catchers when they straddled the front wheels. Hit a small deer no damage, and one full recap that cracked the air dam, But I welded the plastic back together. I did run over some a-holes foot backing up when he didn't move fast enough... No damage to the Spyder...:)

pigeye39
08-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Hit a cat with the right front wheel that was running across road spyder won that one, and I had a Jeep bump me in back tire, no casualties on that!

eagleeye299
08-26-2013, 07:03 PM
The balance in my checking account!

ARtraveler
08-26-2013, 07:42 PM
Happily, I can say that I have not had any actual encounters with critters or other vehicles. Have had to dodge deer, bear, and moose, but so far, have won those battles.

That being said: I do believe you are safer on three wheels (:ani29:) compared to two wheels. When you lock em up and start that slide on two wheels, then the problems begin. Thanks to nanny, and three wheels the outcome seems to be better on :spyder2:

spydaman60
08-26-2013, 07:53 PM
i'm just watching these posts! not saying a thing.:roflblack::roflblack:

otter28169
08-26-2013, 07:58 PM
I hit some kind of large bird that crossed in front of me while I was riding home from work one afternoon. It hit the sharp edge on the plastic just below the headlights and blew apart. No damage to the bike, but there was blood and feathers to be cleaned off after I drove the last mile to the house. One large feather was jammed between 2 of the plastic panels. Not fun to clean up, but that was the worst of it.

Just sayin'............

happyspyder2039
08-26-2013, 08:01 PM
.............and how did you, your co-rider, your Spyder, and what you hit fare? Just wondering.

I've been considering going back to two wheels. I really, really miss leaning in the curves. Then, a couple of weeks ago, a buddy was riding his brand new Suzuki cruiser, a few days after the start of a five week motorcycle tour from his Oregon home, and he hit a "killer deer" in Montana as he was going about 60 mph.

Another driver saw it all, and my buddy doesn't remember a lot about the collision, but says that he does remember sliding for a long ways on the pavement. He believes that the large front fairing of his cruiser helped.

Somewhere in mid air, he and the deer collided. He cracked a rib, had a lot of bruising, but he had on all the safety gear, and he survived. The bike was a total, and so was the deer.

Sooooooo, as much as I miss two, I'm not sure that I want to miss the stability of three. That's why I'm wondering what you've hit, and how things went. Thanks. <M>Well lets See- Rattle Snake in the middle of the Road Sun bathing...Got it good with back tire. A few rabbits,prairie Dog's No Damage yet, guy on Mtn bike that ran stop light-Damage to his front tire- bent to hell but none to spyder,Pot holes-I'm Afraid to look, Speed bumps- Minor scrapes to bump Skid Thank goodness ,Steak/BBQ house,Mall's- Lighter on the wallet so not so good but OH well.

JJW SpyderRider
08-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Happily, I can say that I have not had any actual encounters with critters or other vehicles. Have had to dodge deer, bear, and moose, but so far, have won those battles.

That being said: I do believe you are safer on three wheels (:ani29:) compared to two wheels. When you lock em up and start that slide on two wheels, then the problems begin. Thanks to nanny, and three wheels the outcome seems to be better on :spyder2:

I think Fred Rau ran over a baby calf when he first got his RT and was able to keep going. :thumbup:

:agree: with the above, it is just as important at what you were able NOT to hit :ohyea:

tim2665
08-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Bought my Spyder this may and I was leaving the dealership was about 1/2 mile down the road and hit the biggest groundhog I've ever seen.:yikes: I bout crapped my pants. But thank God I wasn't on 2 wheels.

Big Arm
08-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Hit a deer that came out of nowhere three yrs. ago. Not pretty for the deer or the Spyder, but just thankful I was on the Spyder, and not on two wheels. He did approx $3000 damage, and the bike was tied up in the shop for five weeks. More pics in my album.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?20036-Deer-Hit

Chupaca
08-26-2013, 09:25 PM
the only thing I have hit so far is the road and the passenger is loving it...:ohyea:

SpyFyg-2
08-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I hit a deer on Interstate going 65 miles an hour. Came out of the median, only had time to square out the handle bars and hit the brakes. Hubby was passenger. Spyder won. Put 3 large cracks in the frunk lid, scratched up the spoiler with his hoofs, knocked the mirrors loose and smeared up the windshield. About $1600 damage to the Spyder. In the shop for a couple of days after the parts came in. They only took a couple of weeks. Spyder was drivable while we were waiting for parts. Hit the deer square on and it threw it up and over us and it landed about 20 feet off the shoulder in the ditch. Drove it back to town and straight to the Police dept to report it. It was 9:30 at night and didn't want to wait for the HP since we were drivable, no injuries and deer was not a safety issue on the roadway. Wouldn't have wanted to do the same thing on 2-wheels, it would've been a different outcome. We have only had our 2012 RTLtd since Oct 2012. We are impressed with how it handled and the minimal amount of damage compared to what would've been with a different vehicle.

SNOOPY
08-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Now I'm scared, not riding my Spyder anymore. :yikes:

SNOOPY
08-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Now I'm scared, not riding my Spyder anymore. :yikes:

But then again....looks like Bob is hitting everything, so I might be good. Hmmm...:roflblack:

GloryRyders
08-27-2013, 05:27 AM
I have "hit" the 401K, the road, and lots of bugs.....................survived them all!:yes:

pwm
08-27-2013, 05:33 AM
But then again....looks like Bob is hitting everything, so I might be good. Hmmm...:roflblack:Just make sure if your riding up his way that you are on the lookout. :D

cuznjohn
08-27-2013, 06:42 AM
now i am new at riding spyders and thank god all i hit so far was a small bush

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 06:44 AM
But then again....looks like Bob is hitting everything, so I might be good. Hmmm...:roflblack:
I found out what the problem was... :opps:

I had inadvertently read the part in the owner's manual about using the "Braille" method for offensive drving... :D

Cruzr Joe
08-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Only hit so far was an unexpected water puddle, happy i was on three and not two

Cruiser Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SpyderDon
08-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Hit a pit bull, left front tire rode him down the road about 50'. Dog got up and ran away with his tail between his legs. Spyder needed an alignment. Scared the wife but she's still ryding...

SPYDERFUZZ
08-27-2013, 08:13 AM
I was on my way to the safety course I was taking for my:spyder2:. Had to be there before 7am (70miles)which meant I had to leave home at dark thirty. I had never ridden at night and never had written anything before the :spyder2: A car was coming up behind me I looked in my mirror for just a second and, BAM I thought I hit part of a recap. It was still running OK so kept going. When I go to school the instructor said I had something under my:spyder2:. I looked and found a baby rabbit wedged between the tie rod and where I have now put a bump skid. I love all animals and felt really bad I had killed one of Gods precious animals.

Flanker
08-27-2013, 08:35 AM
:cus:! I'm not riding anywhere with Denman! He's a destruction magnet! :joke:

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 08:41 AM
I am actually the SAFEST person for you to ride with...
I seem to knock everything out of the way! :opps:

HedonismBot
08-27-2013, 09:07 AM
I have killed a bunch of bugs:doorag:

haha I am totally with you on that. My helmet looks like a bug's graveyard sometimes.

bruiser
08-27-2013, 09:26 AM
I hit a deer on Interstate going 65 miles an hour.

That's one fast deer. :roflblack:

joet82
08-27-2013, 10:01 AM
I have hit 2 squirrels, scalped 1 rabbit, and scratched my right fender badly with a tractor trailer bumper.

CurtG
08-27-2013, 11:12 AM
So far 2 starlings one hit the frunk and I think survived the other hit the lower right edge of the windshield, no damage to the Spyder no so lucky for the bird. One squirrel, road kill (rear tire) and a snake also road kill (all 3 tires). I try to avoid hitting critters but if the choice is critter or me and the machine it :cus: to him.

Ride and ride safe,

Some Guy
08-27-2013, 11:46 AM
A gazillion bugs, a chipmunk and an already dead snake. (I guess the snake doesn't really count...)

arntufun
08-27-2013, 12:17 PM
I have hit the twisties, gas, brakes, highbeams, turn signals, kill switch, horn and all the gears. :thumbup:

cuznjohn
08-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I am actually the SAFEST person for you to ride with...
I seem to knock everything out of the way! :opps:

bob sounds like a accident looking for a place

NHSpyderman
08-27-2013, 01:41 PM
I ran over a dead skunk once....smelly....and then I almost hit this deer, well, it wasn't real-ok, actually I just parked next to it for a photo op.

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 01:47 PM
bob sounds like a accident looking for a place

I'm the bad example that your Mom warned you about... :D

Cruzr Joe
08-27-2013, 02:00 PM
I ran over a dead skunk once....smelly....and then I almost hit this deer, well, it wasn't real-ok, actually I just parked next to it for a photo op.

The Deer or the Skunk?

SNOOPY
08-27-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm dying over here. :roflblack:

This is a great thread.

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 02:06 PM
It's easy to laugh... :roflblack:
Until it's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!!! :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

mxz600
08-27-2013, 02:22 PM
I hit a horse............................. fly that was so big I thought I hit a bird. That was to the helmet, no damage to the bike. Woke me up though.

I have ran over and killed a rabbit and a squirrel.

The deer I hit did $1000.00 in damage. Needed new fender with brackets, turn signal/mirror and a front wheel alignment. Broke the deer's front legs, Police Officer had to come and put her down.

Netminder
08-27-2013, 02:37 PM

Have to agree in general, although there is situations that a 2 wheeler will come out of better! I was riding with some friends on Harleys and my friend in front of me, had a car cross the lane coming right at him (the kid was texting):gaah: My buddy was able to swerve around the car on the gravel, had the bike right down, touching the pegs,(his wife was on back) but made it around amazedly! Luckily the kid swerved back into his lane, before he got to me as I am sure due to the spyder's bigger footprint, my wife and I would be off in the bush!!:yikes: I think critters we will fare better, but tighter situations might go to the 2 wheelers. JMHO.

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 02:40 PM
I respectfully disagree...
The Spyder reacts more simiiarly to a car in a collision, than it does a Two-Wheeler... :thumbup:
It will always tend to stay more upright; the bike won't!

DR Buck
08-27-2013, 02:47 PM
I hit a horse............................. fly that was so big I thought I hit a bird. That was to the helmet, no damage to the bike. Woke me up though.

................................... .

Well I did hit a horse! :bdh: But that was years ago in Puerto Rico and I was driving a brand new 1st use rental car. :yikes: The only thing I hit with the Spyder besides a few pot holes and speed bumps was a possum last summer. Hit with right front wheel, no damage to Spyder but I was wearing shorts and the possum remains sprayed up my right leg. :barf: I had to go home and shower.

ThreeFeet
08-27-2013, 04:34 PM
One small deer. Police finally came and shot it with shotgun!! (SMALL DEER!!!) then had to shoot it again with his side arm!!! No damage to spyder.:bowdown:...... driver a wreck!!!:helpsmilie: DON'T WANT TO REPEAT THAT EXPERIENCE!!!nojoke

Hovdestar
08-27-2013, 05:10 PM
........oh my! Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't laughed out loud that much in a while as I did when reading some of the responses to this thread. Great reading! With all the critters and vehicles hit, and with what happened during those collisions, it's a testament to the stability of the Spyder. I can't say that I would never go back to two, but, for the forseeable future, I'll be sticking with three. Thanks all! <M>
:thumbup:

Tony99
08-27-2013, 06:16 PM
I hit a raccoon this morning

SNOOPY
08-27-2013, 07:20 PM
I hit a raccoon this morning

:roflblack:

I mean sorry to hear that. :shocked:

Netminder
08-27-2013, 07:40 PM
I respectfully disagree...
The Spyder reacts more simiiarly to a car in a collision, than it does a Two-Wheeler... :thumbup:
It will always tend to stay more upright; the bike won't!
Bob, I think in this situation, with only a small gravel shoulder for my buddy on the 2 wheeler to swerve around the car, I am pretty sure me and the missus would have been in the ditch! I think in most situations we are safer on 3 , but in certain cases the difference in width makes the 2 wheeler more maneuverable. At least in this case it was. By the way as to the original Post, crossing my fingers, have never hit anything on the Spyder. three deers in cars though!!

MrLooney
08-27-2013, 08:02 PM
I have hit a Kazillion rain drops and snow flakes... no damage but sure got my pants wet (not from the inside out).

billrob71
08-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Murdered mores bugs then I can count thankfully no bigger animals almost the back of a ford truck cause the :cus::cus: had no left side brake or turn signal, stopped short and tried to make a left :banghead:.

Bob Denman
08-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Bob, I think in this situation, with only a small gravel shoulder for my buddy on the 2 wheeler to swerve around the car, I am pretty sure me and the missus would have been in the ditch! I think in most situations we are safer on 3 , but in certain cases the difference in width makes the 2 wheeler more maneuverable. At least in this case it was. By the way as to the original Post, crossing my fingers, have never hit anything on the Spyder. three deers in cars though!!

No doubt; a two-wheeler has more maneuverability...
But when the situation is rapidly turning to mud :shocked:; I think that I'd prefer stability.

Flanker
08-28-2013, 06:51 AM
I have hit the twisties, gas, brakes, highbeams, turn signals, kill switch, horn and all the gears. :thumbup:

Good one! :clap:

dswspyder
02-17-2014, 11:54 PM
My wife and I had a bad accident in a tunnel last May, totaled our GoldWing. A month later we rode to Sturgis and had all sorts of issues with Wind shear, heavy rain and hail. It motivated us to trade the Wing and buy an RTS. My days of two up, 900 lb bikes towing a trailer are over. Still have my HD ultra for one up. If you stay with one vehicle and ride 2 up stick with the RT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

born rider
02-18-2014, 03:42 AM
in the small quiet roads in the Pyrenees (Spain), the farmers have the habit for the cows to graze. roadsides
yeah ... when suddenly stands among the herd of cows? .... just turn engine off and silent wait.
and hope that the "bull" get no interest in the spyder.
outside cattle sheep / horses also roam freely on the quiet roads.
that a great sheep-dog to your boots will smell .... ok! up there.
but the animal must be kept closed lip!
being always experiences, that the sweat production is going up

PCBeachBum
02-18-2014, 05:12 AM
I ran over my left foot while moving it around the warehouse. I first noticed I couldn't move my foot than looked down finding out why.

SNOOPY
02-18-2014, 05:41 AM
roflmao

soaring hawk
02-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Hit a dead armadillo on my way home from spyder fest in the fog, thank heavens for the new bump skid did its job. If I was on two wheels I'd be like a greasy slider skidding down the road:yikes: And a rabbit .

Dan_Ashley
02-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Bugs. I hit bugs all the time. The Spyder is very effective at killing bugs. It is just not efficient in terms of $$$ spent per bug killed.

SNOOPY
02-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Bugs. I hit bugs all the time. The Spyder is very effective at killing bugs. It is just not efficient in terms of $$$ spent per bug killed.

Make that pot holes here.

We have pot holes, lots of pot holes.

They fix the pot holes, then you hit fixed pot holes because they don't fix them good enough. :banghead:

flamingobabe
02-18-2014, 10:06 PM
I want to just hit the road...extended trip

3 Wheel Addict
02-19-2014, 11:14 AM
I haven't had the spyder long enough to hit anything with it, and hope I never do. On past bikes I had a 2000 ZRX1100 and thought I was going to take a bird in the face, flinched and went off the side of the road and fell into a drainage ditch which was not bad but the 14 inch pipe at the end was not so good! I was tossed off and broke shoulder blade and the bike did 3 flips in the air and was totaled. Riding the 2002 Goldwing I took a falling walnut in the chest, thought I had been shot! Had to pull over and cry it hurt so bad!

Bob Denman
02-19-2014, 11:39 AM
A Walnut?? :shocked:
Owwww... that hurts; even just thinking about it! nojoke

Cruzr Joe
02-19-2014, 02:47 PM
I haven't had the spyder long enough to hit anything with it, and hope I never do. On past bikes I had a 2000 ZRX1100 and thought I was going to take a bird in the face, flinched and went off the side of the road and fell into a drainage ditch which was not bad but the 14 inch pipe at the end was not so good! I was tossed off and broke shoulder blade and the bike did 3 flips in the air and was totaled. Riding the 2002 Goldwing I took a falling walnut in the chest, thought I had been shot! Had to pull over and cry it hurt so bad!

good thing the walnut hit you high. :lecturef_smilie:

Cruzr Joe

MouthPiece
02-19-2014, 04:30 PM
This is the end result of what I hit, or I should say the end result when a car hit me.

Chris

spydrn
02-19-2014, 05:00 PM
I am the only one that's going to admit that they have scraped and hit a few curbs. Curb check anyone??

Bob Denman
02-19-2014, 05:21 PM
This is the end result of what I hit, or I should say the end result when a car hit me.

Chris

Chris,
I'm getting "invalid attachment", when I hit that link... :dontknow:

Pirate looks at --
02-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Curb feelers for your Spyder!:roflblack:

jerpinoy
02-19-2014, 05:27 PM
This is the best place to know each others and more.

spydrn
02-19-2014, 05:43 PM

lol, just might have too...

Bob Denman
02-19-2014, 05:45 PM
I think that the RS and ST wheels are a bit more vulnerable to that type of damage...
The difference in the wheel's offset, has the center spokes sticking out beyond the rim of the wheel. :shocked:

MouthPiece
02-19-2014, 07:57 PM
This is what I tried to show in my earlier post. Not sure why it didn't go through. Hopefully it will this time. Anywho, this is what my spyder looked like when a car hit me.

oldgoat
02-19-2014, 10:02 PM
Picked up my new to me Spyder from the dealer & proudly rode it home. When I got there, family & neighbours around watching me. I very skilfully pull up the curb & scape the entire circumference of the right front wheel along the curb as I come to a stop.

Don't know whether I was more embarrassed or p****d off.

Haven't done it again.

garb55
02-19-2014, 10:25 PM
I am the only one that's going to admit that they have scraped and hit a few curbs. Curb check anyone??
I hit curb with my 1st Spyder in 2007 it was the first time I took it for a ride
Never did it again
The worst thing that happened to me was last summer I was riding with short sleeve shirt and a bee went up my sleeve and stung me in the arm pit I thought my arm fell off that hurt for 2 days but I kept riding

spydaman60
02-19-2014, 10:27 PM
I hit 107 or 108, didn't want to take my eyes off the road much!! :2thumbs:

Dan_Ashley
02-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Where can I get these. Preferably chromed, with a Harley logo....I have HD friends that need them.

Pirate looks at --
02-20-2014, 12:27 AM
Try a1960 Cadilac!

Michael211_2000
02-20-2014, 12:45 AM
Get a pair of the animal alert whistles that attach to your vehicle (from Walmart or your local auto parts store).

I have them on my vehicles, and have never hit a deer (though I do sometimes see them) dog (though several have tried to bite my front tires as I passed by in spite of the whistles) or anything in some 20 years of using these animal alert whistles. I've seen more than a few deer up ahead flee the roadside as I've approached... can't say for sure if they would have fled even if I hadn't had the whistles on my front bumper but they did flee the road running away from my oncoming path and that's good enough for me!

A friend of mine bagged herself a deer with each of her 2 cars in less than 2 weeks time driving over to my house to help me with a domestic raccoon I was having to medicate (trust me, they're not easy to medicate!)... she had pretty good front end damage to her cars (1 was in the shop being repaired when she hit the 2nd deer with her alternate vehicle), and of course the deer were each killed. She had me put the whistles on both her vehicles and hasn't had a problem since around here.

Those little whistles cost less than $10... I think they're well worth it.

- Michael

Michael211_2000
02-20-2014, 12:48 AM
Also, SLOW DOWN when you see bright eyes up ahead at night for Pete's Sake! :lecturef_smilie:

Wildlife do not comprehend how fast your vehicle is going, you need to keep an eye out for them especially at night... most can be avoided if you just slow down and toot your horn at them.

- Michael

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-20-2014, 02:32 AM
Also, SLOW DOWN when you see bright eyes up ahead at night for Pete's Sake! :lecturef_smilie:

Wildlife do not comprehend how fast your vehicle is going, you need to keep an eye out for them especially at night... most can be avoided if you just slow down and toot your horn at them.

- Michael
Dusk is the worst time. That's when the wildlife start their evening movements. If you see a deer, plan to see a second one at least. Deer seldom travel solo.

Jeriatric
02-20-2014, 02:52 AM
A flying gator :doorag:

3 Wheel Addict
02-20-2014, 09:56 AM
This is what I tried to show in my earlier post. Not sure why it didn't go through. Hopefully it will this time. Anywho, this is what my spyder looked like when a car hit me.

Damn dude that was a total loss, hope you weren't hurt!!

Bob Denman
02-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Get a pair of the animal alert whistles that attach to your vehicle (from Walmart or your local auto parts store).
I have them on my vehicles, and have never hit a deer (though I do sometimes see them) dog (though several have tried to bite my front tires as I passed by in spite of the whistles)

:shocked: You must have mounted them backwards; then, they act as attractents! :D