PDA

View Full Version : Any bike can catch on fire

Desert Spyder
08-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Spyders aren't the only ones that can catch on fire at the wrong moment.

Flanker
08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
:yikes:! This is one thing that thankfully has never happened to me in my years of riding. A trend I hope to continue to the end!

quickster47
08-26-2013, 11:04 AM
:yikes:! This is one thing that thankfully has never happened to me in my years of riding. A trend I hope to continue to the end!

Agreed, that is one club I certainly have no desire to join.

Carl

Chupaca
08-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Having worked on gasoline powered machines for more years than I like to remember, have had them catch fire in several occasions. Fortunately on the bench not the road. For this I am very thankful and now work on my own and ryde more...missed a lot of ryding during those years keeping others on the road...:thumbup:

Magdave
08-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks DS I just had to do it (see sig) :thumbup:

jerpinoy
08-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Fuel fumes and heat plus ignition are flammable mix.:banghead::banghead:

Bob Ledford
08-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Yes they can and fire scares me to no end. As a kid my Dad blew up the auto repair shop where was a mechanic. He had 1/2/3 degree burns on everything not covered by his coveralls. This was long before Workmanship Comp came into effect. We were living in Moline, IL and it was dead in the middle of the winter months.

DIY'ers scare me when they are working around gas tanks and fuel lines. When I was the Motor Sgt in an Air Defense Battery sometimes I would run the fuel truck if all my guys were working. It was like driving a time bomb! Had several tanks catch fire one summer training period. Traced it down to old rubber fuel lines breaking. Used to hate "hot fueling stops" while on a long road march. Can you imagine a tank pulling up to your fuel stop and asking for 200 gallons of regular gas in a " got to go " status? With twin mufflers glowing so red you could see the fire inside them!