PDA

View Full Version : what's up with my gas cap ?

coz
08-25-2013, 07:32 PM
the last few times i've put gas in, the cap is LOOSE. all by itself. this is the new style large cap that bob d. was nice enough to send me cause brp never did, and still hasn't. i do make sure it is tight after i get gas. this has just started happening recently. anybody else having this problem? i don't want to experience a spyderanne situation.

JJW SpyderRider
08-25-2013, 09:30 PM
the last few times i've put gas in, the cap is LOOSE. all by itself. this is the new style large cap that bob d. was nice enough to send me cause brp never did, and still hasn't. i do make sure it is tight after i get gas. this has just started happening recently. anybody else having this problem? i don't want to experience a spyderanne situation.

You need to watch Lamont's video on how to install the gas cap correctly? :roflblack:

ARtraveler
08-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Are you tightening it a couple clicks, or just till it feels tight?

2 Cruysyn
08-25-2013, 10:43 PM

You're not alone. This is the response my service department received from BRP:

I have talked to BRP about this and they said that temperature change might affect the torque required to reach the click. As long as you are not noticing any fuel residue at the cap area this should be normal.

Temperature change? Ya think! Not quite sure what to make of their answer so I check the cap every now and then particularly when I get back from a ride. I raise the seat to let the "temperature change" out anyway.

Chupaca
08-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Are we talking rattling last thread loose or just easy to remove loose..?? Hard to imagine the cap coming loose on its own. Only thing would be heat pressurizing the tank causing the clicking feature to activate prematurely...upon cooling the cap is loose..good theory but will it hold water..?? :dontknow:

coz
08-26-2013, 06:00 AM
one time soon after i got it, i didn't want to open, would just spin. could be a defective cap, i'll put my old one back on, never had a problem with it.:gaah:

DLewis
08-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Mine is just the opposite. The last few times I've re-filled, it just spins and spins, clicking all the while. Finally after a few tries, it comes loose. Go figure. (and no, I'm and NOT trying to tighten it, for those who think that I am) I watched the video (twice) so I am well informed. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:

Dan McNally
08-26-2013, 02:13 PM
You need to watch Lamont's video on how to install the gas cap correctly? :roflblack:

That's the video right after the "How to Insert Key" video isn't it? :popcorn:

Bob Denman
08-26-2013, 02:19 PM
one time soon after i got it, i didn't want to open, would just spin. could be a defective cap, i'll put my old one back on, never had a problem with it.:gaah:
Coz... :shocked:

I sure didn't mean to send you a handful of trouble... :opps:

If it was me and my bike; I'd stop in to the dealer and ask them to replace it. :thumbup:

DrewNJ
08-26-2013, 03:00 PM
User Error.....:dg1:

jerpinoy
08-26-2013, 03:15 PM
:spyder2::yes::yes::yes::yes:

coz
08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
i'm not smarter than my gas cap:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.

canamgirls
08-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Had to re-tighten the gas cap 4 times today:banghead: at one point it was so loose that when i touched it with my finger it spun open. I thought this was one of the reasons for changing the cap in the first place...its not really reasonable to expect people to keep stopping to check their gas cap is still tight due to temperature changes...and if gas caps are so prone to this, how come my cars gas cap never does it no matter how hot it is:sour: and i don't want to hear how the spyder is different than a car:gaah:is it really so hard to for BRP to find a gas cap that works? if they are supposed to be "ok" if they are "slightly loose" then why the hell all the fuss about tightening them in the first place...BECAUSE THERE SUPPOSED TO STAY TIGHT:mad:....i'm just saying...that's all :chill:.....ok i feel better for that:)

coz
08-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Coz... :shocked:

I sure didn't mean to send you a handful of trouble... :opps:

If it was me and my bike; I'd stop in to the dealer and ask them to replace it. :thumbup: Bob , i'm glad that you care about me more than brp does. thank you canam girls for backing me up on this. i really AM smarter than my DEFECTIVE gas cap.:thumbup: i'm probably smarter than my DEFECTIVE, LEAKING MASTER CYLINDER CAPS too.

Magdave
08-26-2013, 03:42 PM
It is the new "Child Proof " cap. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-26-2013, 05:21 PM
It is the new "Child Proof " cap. :roflblack::roflblack:
:shocked: Child-proof??? :gaah: That's it! I've been beaten! :gaah:

vondalyn
08-27-2013, 01:10 PM
My hubby has been accusing me of not tightening the gas cap because every time he goes to fill up, it's loose. I just called the dealership and they want to see it when it's loose. I topped off on my way home on Sunday, but who knows if it's loose now. I'm sure not going to check it and see if it's loose and then leave it that way.... I figure I'll just get on and ride down there and hope it's loose when I get there :)

Cruzr Joe
08-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Bob sends those broke gas caps out to everyone ................... No one told you :roflblack:

Magdave
08-27-2013, 01:52 PM
The truth about "clickable" gas cap is you are supposed to only get 3 clicks when you tighten it. If you spin click it you WILL ruin it. This may or may not apply to some of the people having issues. In the old days it did not matter how many clicks it does now since those too started to fail the OEMs came up with the 2 click recommendation.

Q: Do I need to turn the gas cap so hard that it clicks repeatedly.
A: Different gas caps require different procedures. However, many vehicles today require the gas cap to click at least three times. If the gas cap is not installed properly, the “check engine light” can go on. An improperly tightened gas cap could allow excess fuel vapors to evaporate and enter the atmosphere. Gasoline vapors contribute to smog. The best advice I can give is to check your owner’s manual or to see if the gas cap itself has any writing on the top of it that identifies the procedure.

SpydherLuv
08-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Awhile back my technician recommended pressing down (light pressure) on the gas cap while tightening which I've always done and so far I haven't experienced a loose cap. :dontknow:

MikeinGA
08-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Gas caps are righty tighty and lefty loosey . That's IMHO.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

MIKE

vondalyn
08-29-2013, 11:47 AM
My hubby has been accusing me of not tightening the gas cap because every time he goes to fill up, it's loose. I just called the dealership and they want to see it when it's loose. I topped off on my way home on Sunday, but who knows if it's loose now. I'm sure not going to check it and see if it's loose and then leave it that way.... I figure I'll just get on and ride down there and hope it's loose when I get there :)

So I rode down to the dealership the other day and of course it was NOT loose when I got there, but they replaced it for me anyway. They put it under an "emissions warranty" in case anyone who has the same issue wants to mention that to their own dealership.

coz
08-29-2013, 04:39 PM
there is nothing wrong with our gascaps . most of the others said so. :lecturef_smilie:that makes us wrong, right? i hope no ones spyder burns down because of it.:rolleyes:

Magdave
08-29-2013, 04:49 PM
To me the problem is obvious and BRP needs to fix it. These caps were not designed to be heated to the point of not being able to touch them. Plastic warps, seals deteriorate under extreme heat and increased pressure. Most of us do not live in the great white north. Some of us live where it never snows. C'mon BRP this is not rocket science a little common sense goes a long way. They need to insulate the smaller than everyone else's gas tank.:thumbup:

Magdave
08-29-2013, 05:10 PM
To me the problem is obvious and BRP needs to fix it. These caps were not designed to be heated to the point of not being able to touch them. Plastic warps, seals deteriorate under extreme heat and increased pressure. C'mon BRP this is not rocket science a little common sense goes a long way. They need to insulate the smaller than everyone else's gas tank.:thumbup:

rcturner
08-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Has anyone that is having this problem tried putting some lub on the seal ? By the way, I live in the great white north and have not had any problem like this with mine. Of course, it only gets to 95 or 100 degrees here during the summer. Not so much in the spring, fall or winter.