PDA

View Full Version : A few observations...

Laila's Dad
08-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Hello all,

I hope that your weekend has been all that you needed it to be and that you are enjoying this day that we are all fortunate to see... I did a pre-ride yesterday to Austin, TX in preparation of my upcoming charity ride on 9-7-2013. Total I drove 420 miles in about 9.5 hours including stops and a lunch break so not too bad for me. It was a great ride, met a few spyder admirers along the way who had more questions than I had answers or time. Good news is the details for the ride are in place so it will be a wonderful time for all and benefit some good people. Here are a few observations I made along the way.

1) although I was driving 70 to 75 mph the majority of the trip, every motorcycle that I saw(mostly cruisers, not many sport bikes) passed me doing 10 to 15 mph faster. I kept thinking "am I going 75?". I know to "ride my own ride", but just found it so odd that my cruising speed was 15mph slower than the 2 wheelers.

2) gas mileage is pretty darn good on the highway for my 2012 RS-s. I didn't do the "Fuelly" app but I spent about 15 dollars coming back for gas which was great!

3) I must get a gel pad of some sort for any long rides. It was bearable but I was struggling a bit going to Austin. I stopped about 3 times in the first 200 miles to relax a bit. Only once coming home so I was able to position myself a little better.

4) although I am happy with me, I must admit that if I was about 5 inches shorter, the spyder would be a better ride. My rivco floorboards help out soooooo much, but I still wish I could really stretch my legs out sometimes. You may be thinking "get some highway pegs, dummy!" but when I stretch my legs out I have my feet on the front wheel covers and based on my small knowledge no pegs extend that far. :rolleyes:

5) I must be one of the few people to come through Austin on a spyder. People seemed to be amazed by it more than the usual thumbs up or "how does it run?" questions. One guy told me "you have a video bike".

6) I used the app "Glympse" that Lamonster used to show his progress when he went to Canada a couple weeks ago. It is great, my wife liked it a lot. It timed out a few times but worked pretty good for the most part.

Riker
08-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Hope your having a great weekend also. #4 ...I also have longer legs, to which I installed highway pegs which will allow for outstretched legs, I also installed new floorboards which now give me pretty much any position I desire...7458574586

Bob Denman
08-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Air cushions: AirHawk! :thumbup:

Laila's Dad
08-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Air cushions: AirHawk! :thumbup:

Bob, I read on here that the air cushions make you feel like you are not stable on the seat, kind of a floating sensation a little. Have you experienced anything similar?

Laila's Dad
08-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Hope your having a great weekend also. #4 ...I also have longer legs, to which I installed highway pegs which will allow for outstretched legs, I also installed new floorboards which now give me pretty much any position I desire...7458574586

with the highway pegs, do you have the back of your foot resting on it or do you kind of push against them? I am thinking that even if I couldn't stretch my legs out completely that 85 to 90% of a full stretch would still help a lot on a trip.

Chupaca
08-25-2013, 12:20 PM
looks like your ready for the upcoming ryde. The roadster did well I heard no complaints. Mileage gets better with time and seats are many. Custom seats, sheepskin, air cushion, gel pads...wish they had a store you could go to with all the choices. Sit on them one at a time and find the one that suits you. To each his own..good hunting..!! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Sorry, I'm not Bob---but--the Airhawk cushion needs to be adjusted so that you sit "IN" it and not "ON" it. That will alleviate any floating sensation that you would encounter. The other option is gel cushion. I have one of each and use will vary depending on my "pain" of the day.

daltmeyer
08-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Sounds like your legs are long enough to just put some pegs on top of your front fenders.

I thought I was gonna need some mounted to the back of my fenders but luckily my feet just miss them by an inch and my pegs work great. At least after the comfort seat and the air-hawk r.

Riker
08-25-2013, 03:58 PM
with the highway pegs, do you have the back of your foot resting on it or do you kind of push against them? I am thinking that even if I couldn't stretch my legs out completely that 85 to 90% of a full stretch would still help a lot on a trip.

My feet are just resting on them. These are mounted to the subframe of the bike and are not meant to be stood on or have heavy pressure put on them. That being said, when I make a sharp/fast turn, I will press against with just enough pressure to give additional support in the turn....