PDA

View Full Version : Just back from a 9 day European Tour

eddieshep999
08-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Put this report on the UKSPYDERWEB Website last Monday 19th Aug 2013

Just got back from my 9 day tour of Germany to vist the Dams made famous in WW2
This year marked the 70th Anniversary of The Dambusters’ Raid.

This was a daring World War II night time raid on three dams ( Möhne, Sorpe and Eder) in the early hours of 17 May 1943 immortalised the RAF's 617 Squadron as the "Dambusters".

Did over 1,310 Miles which was approx 145 Miles per day

Did a trip to Dover UK – France – Belgium – Germany then back Germany – Neatherlands – Belgium – France – Dover UK

Spyder ran great – added some oil about ¼ Litre as the dip stick was showing half way
this brought the level back to full

Manage to get 192 Miles on a tank full – The low fuel light came on at about 180 miles and I was able to run a further 12 miles and the last Fuel block was still showing on the Digital display

Much better MPG since I fitted the vented screen – This was great as on one or two days the temp was over 30c

Only had rain when we left Antwerp Yesterday Morning until we got to Ghent – Then clear sky's all the way to Calais and then from Dover to Reading

Total Journey time was 10 hrs 30 mins and that included a 90min wait for our ferry at Calais at 16:30 – But we did gain an hour due to the time difference between France and UK – (France 1hr ahead)

Have posted some pictures in the Album Gallery

See - http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3033

Note - some of the photos have the wrong date on the trip was from 09th Aug - 18th Aug 2013 - Next time I will check the date stamp on the camera first

spyder3
08-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Great trip! Thanks for sharing the photos.:clap:

SpyderAnn01
08-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Beautiful pictures. Thanks.

flamingobabe
08-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks for sharing...to ride Europe and area is on my bucket list

ARtraveler
08-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Thank you for sharing the trip and the pictures. :thumbup:

Kingers
08-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Great to know you had a good time and that you had very good weather:yes:

Can I come next time:pray:.

Can't believe we can get 192 miles out of the tank what's you mpg? (UK gallons).

:cheers:

TuckMiddle
08-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Super. Thanks for the nice pics. We have the Military channel here in the states and they show something in ref to the dam busters a lot. I always thought that it was scary flying off carriers and lots of much smaller ships in single radial engined Sikorskys in the middle of the night, but those "dam Buster" folks had balls as big as they come. They did the job and God bless em, they lost a lot of folks getting those heavy water plants. Had the bad guys had the materials for the Atomic weapons, it could have been a different world.

Great pics of that huge dam, do you remember the name of it and was it one they hit on the raids?

Tuck

eddieshep999
08-25-2013, 01:52 AM
Great pics of that huge dam, do you remember the name of it and was it one they hit on the raids?

Tuck

The large dam was the Elder - This is the one with the 2 towers - It was hit in the middle and was the one that was breeched causing the most damage

Ref the raid for more info see - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise

TuckMiddle
08-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the info and the article. Absolutely amazing how they adapted to the requirements and managed to complete the mission as well as they did.
I can't help but think that with todays technology they would simply launch a few cruise missiles and the mission objectives would be accomplished in a matter of minutes.

Tuck