PDA

View Full Version : Could this be..2014..!!

Chupaca
08-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Saw this posted on facebook spyder owners..from a source in Valcourt..

RUMORS OR REALITY:

One of my friends saw yesterday in Valcourt (Quebec), 2 new 2014 Spyder RT. BRP techniciens and developpers are testing new 2014 Spyder On road near the Spyder assembly plant,

Look for a new gold color and majors improvements on powertrain. A 3 cylinders 1400cc engine is on his way. The 2 radiators are now both in front. May be less space in front trunk. No news about the manual and semi-automatic transmissions.

We will have to wait at the end of september for BRP official presentations of the 2014 CAN-AM Spyder.

BRP test many vehicules in Valcourt area and some never reach the showroom.

RUMORS OR REALITY, we have to wait.

Pennyrick
08-24-2013, 10:45 AM

RUMORS OR REALITY:

One of my friends saw yesterday in Valcourt (Quebec), 2 new 2014 Spyder RT. BRP techniciens and developpers are testing new 2014 Spyder On road near the Spyder assembly plant,

Look for a new gold color and majors improvements on powertrain. A 3 cylinders 1400cc engine is on his way. The 2 radiators are now both in front. May be less space in front trunk. No news about the manual and semi-automatic transmissions.

We will have to wait at the end of september for BRP official presentations of the 2014 CAN-AM Spyder.

I have no doubt they are road testing this kind of machine but I seriously doubt that it will be a 2014 model.

BajaRon
08-24-2013, 11:07 AM
I have no doubt they are road testing this kind of machine but I seriously doubt that it will be a 2014 model.

'Oh ye of little faith...'

SpyderAnn01
08-24-2013, 11:13 AM
We already saw the spy photo of the gold color with the big air dams on the front so this sounds like more confirmation of the changes. I'm ready for my 2014 bring it on!

spyder3
08-24-2013, 11:23 AM
We already saw the spy photo of the gold color with the big air dams on the front so this sounds like more confirmation of the changes. I'm ready for my 2014 bring it on!

I think Ann should get the first one:bowdown:

BajaRon
08-24-2013, 11:29 AM
I think Ann should get the first one:bowdown:

Someone needs to PhotoShop Ann onto a 2014 Spyder!

SpyderAnn01
08-24-2013, 11:34 AM

That's funny. When I read the OP I thought about taking the spy photo and making it my Avatar. Only 2 more weeks until the unveiling and then a long wait for the dealers to start receiving them. I'm having serious Spyder withdrawal issues.

BajaRon
08-24-2013, 11:50 AM
That's funny. When I read the OP I thought about taking the spy photo and making it my Avatar. Only 2 more weeks until the unveiling and then a long wait for the dealers to start receiving them. I'm having serious Spyder withdrawal issues.

All of us sympathize with you Ann.... Maybe not enough to give up our Spyder so you can ride, but really, really sympathetic! I know you can just feel the love!

Five-O
08-24-2013, 11:52 AM

RUMORS OR REALITY:

To your comment, BRP, at this years Ski-Doo snowmobile dealer meeting, did announce a new inline triple motor for their 2014 snowmobile line up.

Dan McNally
08-24-2013, 12:46 PM

No . . . She should actually have one! :ohyea:

Blue Star
08-24-2013, 12:54 PM

Ann, I am working too much overtime right now to be able to ride, so if you want to come out to California. You can ride my RT for a couple days.

ARtraveler
08-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Waiting and watching. Hang in there Ann. :thumbup:

OldCowboy
08-24-2013, 02:10 PM
The Rotax 1494 cc 3-cylinder engine is currently used in Sea-Doo PWCs. Depending on it's configuration, it's capable of up to 260 HP. :yikes::yikes: The base version provides 130 HP (http://www.brp-powertrain.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-236/375_read-357/), which would be a really nice bump over the current engine.

What would be nice is for BRP to provide more powerful versions as you stepped up in the model line. So the base RT would have 130 HP, the RT-S 155 HP, and the RT-LTD 215 HP. :pray::pray: BTW, 215 HP is as high as they go with only a closed circuit cooling system. The higher HP versions use both a radiator and a water intake flow through system.

Oldmanzues
08-24-2013, 02:13 PM
No . . . She should actually have one! :ohyea:

Fully AGREE
Oldmanzues

daveinva
08-24-2013, 02:30 PM
I think we're still a year out *at least* from a bigger engine on the Spyder, if we ever get one.

But ya never know...

DrewNJ
08-24-2013, 02:32 PM
The Rotax 1494 cc 3-cylinder engine...........BTW, 215 HP is as high as they go with only a closed circuit cooling system. The higher HP versions use both a radiator and a water intake flow through system.

Nope, the 215,255,260 motors are mechanically identical with some valvetrain updates over the years. Stock, They are all closed loop cooling. Lake water is only for exhaust cooling/external innercooler on ALL 4tec motors
The 215 to 255 is basically a bigger charger, injectors, external innercooler and mapped ecu. The 255 to 260 change is an entirely different ecu.

Motor would be an easy change for BRP. Tranny is where they would seem to be limited......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wftb
08-24-2013, 08:02 PM
cosed loop cooling just means there is a heat exchanger (HX) and an engine driven pump that sends antifreeze through the tube side of the HX and the engine cooling jackets .the drive impeller sends lake or ocean water into the shell side of the HX , cooling the antifreeze .the advantage is lake and salt water does not go in to the engine .an HX is cheaper to replace than an engine .i doubt that these engines would be much good in a road bike , seems like the design would cause packaging problems .if they are going to radically change the design , i wish they would go to front wheel drive and give us a 7 speed gearbox with rad and its heat behind us somehow and not blowing at our legs .

Bob Denman
08-24-2013, 08:14 PM
Fully AGREE
Oldmanzues
Meee Toooo! :agree: :thumbup:

Y-me
08-24-2013, 09:42 PM
One of my fav fantasy engines would be a 3 cyl. turbo diesel but there engineering challenge must be daunting.
I like the semi but I think a DCT would be nice. They must be robust enough to sit behind the Rotax and they offer more speeds.
I think they could reduce warranty claims as it looks like a less complex system.

WV Spyder Ryder
08-25-2013, 07:17 AM
:yikes: turbo diesel.......oh yeah :2thumbs:

otter28169
08-25-2013, 08:27 AM
The Rotax 1494 cc 3-cylinder engine is currently used in Sea-Doo PWCs. Depending on it's configuration, it's capable of up to 260 HP. :yikes::yikes: The base version provides 130 HP (http://www.brp-powertrain.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-236/375_read-357/), which would be a really nice bump over the current engine.

What would be nice is for BRP to provide more powerful versions as you stepped up in the model line. So the base RT would have 130 HP, the RT-S 155 HP, and the RT-LTD 215 HP. :pray::pray: BTW, 215 HP is as high as they go with only a closed circuit cooling system. The higher HP versions use both a radiator and a water intake flow through system.

I am sorry to say this, but I think the higher horsepower is more appropriate for the RS crowd. My thinking is that they bought the "Sport" model for the performance. I would assume the "Touring" model was bought to make miles, not make up time. I am personally very hurt that you left us RSers out of the mix:lecturef_smilie::joke:

Just sayin'...........

Bob Denman
08-25-2013, 11:18 AM
You can have the Turbo-Diesel if you'd like... ;) :joke:

Motorcycledave
08-25-2013, 01:49 PM
2014 INDIAN

Magdave
08-25-2013, 01:54 PM
It would be nice if they got all the kinks worked out of the 2013 redesign first. You know what will happen a whole new list of issues I bet belt and bearings would be the first :yikes:

yamahog
08-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Just saw this advertisement posted in canadian I guess and notice the new body on rt so looks like changes are coming and spy photo was real :chat::ohyea::ohyea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjN1p6ETWg4

Sorry its has been pulled, guess someone let the cat out too early oops!, he he I got to see it anyway.

ARtraveler
08-30-2013, 01:06 PM
A few nice "teasers" shown. Reference the RT: Vents on side and windshield. Looks like a smaller windshield. Adjustable handlebars (stock?), New "heated" seat and backrest. (looks like lumbar support). Looked like new luggage also. Not sure if the front end configuration was a lot different, but seemed a bit different. How do you like that new "black" color?

CyncySpyder
08-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Just saw this advertisement posted in canadian I guess and notice the new body on rt so looks like changes are coming and spy photo was real :chat::ohyea::ohyea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjN1p6ETWg4

available now in the 2013 catalogue:dontknow: Now that heated seat & backrest did look like a nice addition. Too bad I didn't notice a fuel door option tho :(

Papa
08-30-2013, 01:12 PM
The video has been taken down. 😠

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KMacs
08-30-2013, 04:19 PM
A new RT with a new engine is coming - what else is coming should be interesting. Too many RT riders running at LOW rpm's - they need a better engine to deliver higher torque at the low end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Denman
08-30-2013, 04:45 PM
:agree: Something with some "Torque-Meister" DNA in it would be useful... :thumbup:

txroadrunner
08-30-2013, 06:43 PM
"Heated" seat??? What parts are they leaving off THIS time? :roflblack:

WackyDan
08-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Could this be the three cylinder people are building up the rumor mill for?

http://www.brp.com/en-us/innovation/eco-performance-technologies/4-stroke-engines

One of their sled engines.... 130 HP.

Now, BRP/Rotax does have 215 HP and 255 HP three cylinders with superchargers, but those are fresh water cooled on the jet skis so you aren't exactly going to see one of those in a Spyder, but that 1200... I'm wondering.

Lamonster
08-31-2013, 10:47 AM
:popcorn:

flamingobabe
08-31-2013, 10:58 AM

Come'on... share that popcorn

FaranH
08-31-2013, 11:01 AM

I'm with FB--If you're not talking then at least share the popcorn! :D

Lamonster
08-31-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm with FB--If you're not talking then at least share the popcorn! :D

:popcorn::shemademe_smilie::popcorn::popcorn:

Son_Of_A_Moose_88
08-31-2013, 11:48 AM

Now you just a tease :lecturef_smilie:

Highwayman2013
08-31-2013, 12:00 PM
2014 INDIAN

I'm with you Dave, a blue Chieftain!:)

Bob Denman
08-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Popcorn??? :gaah:
:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:
If I'm gonna need to watch my weight someday; I might as well get it out in front, where I can see it real well! :D

SXSMachine
08-31-2013, 05:53 PM
To your comment, BRP, at this years Ski-Doo snowmobile dealer meeting, did announce a new inline triple motor for their 2014 snowmobile line up.

Thats interesting because thats the bit up to this point that really had me shaking my head at a 1400cc triple when they didnt have one in the line-up yet. Announcing new engines in a brand is as important as announcing new models these days. :pray:

I'd love it because the first thing that would happen is it will get transplanted into the SXS Can Am Commander which would make so recreational beasts!!

SPYDERFUZZ
08-31-2013, 08:08 PM
How many States will permit licensing a four wheel motorcycle? Not Texas as of right now. We might as well get a nice convertible Jag if we want to go 200 miles an hour. One of the reason I got my bike wasn't how fast I can take a curve it was because I want to see more of our beautiful America, and I'm almost to old to do that. I do enjoy myself tho but most of the time when I get back home I can't remember where I been.

Bob Denman
09-01-2013, 07:24 AM
I'd love it because the first thing that would happen is it will get transplanted into the SXS Can Am Commander which would make so recreational beasts!!

The Commander UTVs are probably a GREAT test bed for testing powertrains that could work in the Spyders...
They're a couple of hundred pounds heavier, and designed for a wide variety of applications of use... :thumbup:

(Think about the possibility of a Vee-Twin powered, CVT-transmission equipped, all-wheel drive Spyder... That's the current configuration. They've even bumped the horspower on the Maverick model to 101! ):yes:

daveinva
09-01-2013, 07:57 AM
"Heated" seat??? What parts are they leaving off THIS time? :roflblack:

Yeah, tell us about it. I coulda swore the heated seat was already stock, for free, on the Spyder. :joke:

finless
09-01-2013, 10:37 AM

My assumption based on your post is your getting one!
Congrats!

One day you will have to tell us how it all went with BRP and your 2013 mishap!

Bob

TuckMiddle
09-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Yesterday the group I was riding with stopped for a break at a nice dealership north of Dahlonega, GA . very nice multi manufacturer setup. They had a bunch of Italian made bikes and the Aprilias on display appeared to all have Rotax engines. The 997 cu in engines were 144 horsepower 2 cyl jobs that looked very familiar. Ii have heard for a couple years that the Aprilia bikes had our basic eng with lots more HP. IMHO, it would be a lot easier to put one of these 2 cyl engines in a Spyder and would be less for the purchaser also. Personally, I don't want or need more HP, but for you younger dudes, or older guys with hp dreams, this would be over a 40% increase and not cost as much as a house, maybe! Phone is 706-864-7777. WWW.europeanmotorsportsinc.com in case you need. An Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta or even a Suzuki. FYI, I am in no way connected to these folks except I used their bathroom and bought an ice cream sandwich.

Tuck

NancysToy
09-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Yesterday the group I was riding with stopped for a break at a nice dealership north of Dahlonega, GA . very nice multi manufacturer setup. They had a bunch of Italian made bikes and the Aprilias on display appeared to all have Rotax engines. The 997 cu in engines were 144 horsepower 2 cyl jobs that looked very familiar. Ii have heard for a couple years that the Aprilia bikes had our basic eng with lots more HP. IMHO, it would be a lot easier to put one of these 2 cyl engines in a Spyder and would be less for the purchaser also. Personally, I don't want or need more HP, but for you younger dudes, or older guys with hp dreams, this would be over a 40% increase and not cost as much as a house, maybe! Phone is 706-864-7777. WWW.europeanmotorsportsinc.com (http://WWW.europeanmotorsportsinc.com) in case you need. An Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta or even a Suzuki. FYI, I am in no way connected to these folks except I used their bathroom and bought an ice cream sandwich.

Tuck

You have to have enough torque and bottom end to move the machine. It takes a lot more grunt to move a 1,000 pound RT than a 500 pound crocth rocket. They detuned the Aprilia engine for this app for a reason.

TuckMiddle
09-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Yes.
I'm just saying here's what might be a relatively cheap, easy solution for many folks. If they make a torque monster, it would surely require more room for the engine itself and then radiator(s)
And other accessories and a bunch of added weight.
I loved my Gold Wings, an 1100 and an 1800. The torque from an 1800 still does wonderful things to big hills, acceleration, etc.
But it's huge and expensive, while it sure normally lasts a long time.
What ever they do is fine with me. I'm on what is probably my last big bike and I will not be buying a new Spyder. With GWs and HD Ultras going from hi $20 up to $40+, BRP has to keep a fiscal advantage to compete and get into the hi volume mode.
Regardless, your point is certainly right on. In a perfect world, torque would rule, but they might have to compromise to keep the volume going up via the "average new purchaser." Maybe a new "Super Spyder" will some day rule the road!
Tuck

SXSMachine
09-03-2013, 10:12 PM
How many States will permit licensing a four wheel motorcycle? Not Texas as of right now. We might as well get a nice convertible Jag if we want to go 200 miles an hour. One of the reason I got my bike wasn't how fast I can take a curve it was because I want to see more of our beautiful America, and I'm almost to old to do that. I do enjoy myself tho but most of the time when I get back home I can't remember where I been.

I think you may have missed my point Doug which was not for on road use in the US but where Mavericks are currently used, off road.

They already have a some models some bespoke machines doing Ski-doo engine's so my point was to get them off road test the bejebus out of them in hot and could climates and then I'm definitely with Dave in CVT'ing the Spyder, if you can pull a wheelie in a SXS/UTV with a 1000cc and a CVT you sure as all getup dont need more acceleration than that from zero on a Spyder, what they could use is the fuel economy and long range torque of a CVT tuned engine.

Myself my 4 wheeler is just for me under license, for all you others have CVT's torque and those who want it, a model that leans.

Spacetrucker
09-03-2013, 11:00 PM
In Az you can ride your ATV on fwy, cite street, all must have street tires and brake lights and turn sing on them. And a front windo

hotglue
09-03-2013, 11:27 PM
:popcorn::shemademe_smilie::popcorn::popcorn:I'm not that fond of popcorn....

DrewNJ
09-04-2013, 06:55 AM
You have to have enough torque and bottom end to move the machine. It takes a lot more grunt to move a 1,000 pound RT than a 500 pound crocth rocket. They detuned the Aprilia engine for this app for a reason.

By the beginning of spring at the latest we will know for sure how the Aprilia tuned rotax does in a Spyder. A very good friend pretty much destroyed his RSV during a wreck. Drivetrain is still good. He has been eyeballing a few of our spyders for awhile and just over the weekend picked up an 09' RS with a bad motor.
His plan is an RSV powered RS. Aprilia electronics so no nanny. Should be both interesting to see how it all goes together as well as how it rides.

Bob Denman
09-04-2013, 06:55 AM
How about some ribs?? ;)
:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:

Lamonster
09-04-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm not that fond of popcorn....

:bbq::cheers:

Bob Denman
09-04-2013, 08:36 AM
:shocked: i can't believe that I forgot the hydraulic sandwiches! :shocked: :D :cheers:

NancysToy
09-04-2013, 06:27 PM
By the beginning of spring at the latest we will know for sure how the Aprilia tuned rotax does in a Spyder. A very good friend pretty much destroyed his RSV during a wreck. Drivetrain is still good. He has been eyeballing a few of our spyders for awhile and just over the weekend picked up an 09' RS with a bad motor.
His plan is an RSV powered RS. Aprilia electronics so no nanny. Should be both interesting to see how it all goes together as well as how it rides.

The RS would be the best candidate for the transplant. Much closer to the Aprilia weight.