PDA

View Full Version : Old Bones Update

NancysToy
08-24-2013, 08:01 AM
As some of you know, I dislocated my right thumb in July at Vintage Motorcycle Days. In the process I mananged to rupture the UCL in the thumb, tearing it away from the bone and leaving one side of the joint unattached. I had successful surgery to repair it Thursday. I would like to thank all the folks that wished me well and checked up on me aferward. You are all true friends.

I haven't ridden in the month between my injury and my surgery...although I did sneak out once on Wednesday to get the freshly stabilized fuel through the system. Five miles was not enough to satisfy my withdrawal, but without the brace it hurt too much to go farther, and I didn't want to screw it up worse before the surgery. I won't be riding for at least a couple more months while I heal, so that may mean no riding until next Spring, here in the North. I will also be unable to build my own pole barn at the new house. :(

I have a splint and dressing on there now, for a couple of weeks until they take the pin out. Then I will get a (plastic?) cast for a few more weeks. After that it is back to a brace and off to PT to get the hand and wrist to work again. I have forgiven the Simplex, and definitely will ride it again when I am able. Old bones heal slowly. The lesson here is if you are going to do something dumb, it is best to do it when you are young. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Scotty,
I'm glad to hear that the repairs have been successful, and healing is ongoing. :thumbup:
...But not so happy to hear that you're "stuck in neutral" during all of it... :shocked:
Hang in there! :2thumbs:
You and Ann should start a support group...

flamingobabe
08-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated....heal quick....maybe a ride be for winter sets in

spyder3
08-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Heel quick scotty :pray:

spydaman60
08-24-2013, 08:33 AM
as to your last line there about doing stupid things when you're young----there seems to be way too much of that happening today already!!!nojoke hope you heal fast!!!

Magdave
08-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Glad to hear you are on the mend. I am sure there are a few warm days in the frozen north winters that the roads are clear enough to re stabilize the fuel. :thumbup:

Chupaca
08-24-2013, 10:40 AM
great news that all is going well. Sorry about the projected recovery time although I know it is always padded by therapists. You will be sneaking out before carefully but though your bones may be old your heart is not..and it wants to get going..good luck and speedy recovery...:thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
08-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Scotty by the time you are ready to ride I should have a new 2014 and perfect riding weather here in Las Vegas so come on down and I'll let you take it for a spin.

bruiser
08-24-2013, 12:36 PM
This old brain forgot about the surgery. Glad you are on the mend. From one who knows, take it easy. I'm sure Nancy will keep you in line.

Dan McNally
08-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Hope the healing goes quickly, and without problems. Which hurts more, the thumb or the inability to ride? (yes . . . I think I know the answer!)

cuznjohn
08-24-2013, 12:43 PM
you take care and get well fast. healing first than riding

ARtraveler
08-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery and that you make it through the motorcycle withdrawals okay.

Oldmanzues
08-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Good luck with the recovery. Just do not push to hard and reinjure something.
Maybe a Radio Control Spyder to play with in the house until you can get back on a real one???
Oldmanzues

NancysToy
08-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Good luck with the recovery. Just do not push to hard and reinjure something.
Maybe a Radio Control Spyder to play with in the house until you can get back on a real one???
Oldmanzues
:roflblack: Can't even work one of those without both thumbs.

retread
08-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Heal well, however long it takes, if I can help with the barn, let me know.

john

Flanker
08-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Sounds like you've done a good job of working through it so far; hang in there with your physical thereapy/meds, or whatever your recovery regime is. Oh! And what's this I hear about your planned hydrogen peroxide rocket powered Spyder and dramatic jump over two spinning Blackhawk main rotors? Lookin' forward to the video.....................................:ohyea:; )

Oldmanzues
08-24-2013, 07:44 PM
:roflblack: Can't even work one of those without both thumbs.
I did not think about that. sorry I brought it up.
Still you will do well.
Oldmanzues

Bob Ledford
08-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Scotty I know your feeling bad not being able to ride or work. But you can still ride! Just get your Lady to pilot you around and you sit back and let her be the bus driver for a little.

As for the pole barn, how about a barn raising event and you just supervise?

Heck fire you must be having a hard time posting too! :banghead::banghead::gaah:

GloryRyders
08-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Scotty, glad to hear that you are on the mend..............we will keep you in our prayers!:pray::pray: