PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Spyders

RNB
06-29-2008, 04:08 PM
While I was at the Kansas City Spyder demo I met and gentleman who has just received his Spyder and he was so unhappy with it he stated that he was going to sell it. He reported that when his new Spyder went over 70 mph it had a terrible head shake and they could not seem to find the problem, He went on to state that the front wheel has 12 wheel weights on one and on the other on it had 10 wheel weights, is this normal I have owner several BMW and the most I have seen is 3 or 4 on the rims. RNB

spyder-dude
06-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Yea I would say that someone didn't balance his tires correctly....there should never be that many weights on a wheel.

NancysToy
06-29-2008, 05:22 PM
There have been reports of several Spyders being produced where the factory balancing mark on the tire wasn't aligned with the valve stem, as it should be. That will throw the balance off, and require more balancing weights. If the tire were properly balanced, they should not hop. Tire shake is not the same as head shake, which can mean alignment problems. I would certainly report the problem to the dealer before I sold the Spyder.

That being said, the first excursion with the Spyder onto the highway, I found it to be skitterish, too. Others reported similar experiences, and one guy here in town sold his, in part because of that. I come from many years of motorcycle riding, and found my problem was simply a matter of overcontrol. Try too hard, and the thing darts all over. My suspicion is that when you feel the bumps from the suspension through the handlebars, you automatically tend to react, and steer the Spyder slightly. As you can imagine, this could get out of control in a hurry. Since then I have learned to relax my grip, and let the Spyder go where it is pointed. Runs up well over the speed limit with no problems. Hope this guy learns that trick.
-Scotty

MSGTDOC
06-29-2008, 05:33 PM
I HAD A VOYAGER KIT ON MY 05 SOFT TAIL AND YOU REALLY HAD TO MUSCLE THAT THING AROUND CORNERS AND BENDS. WHEN I PICKED UP THE SPYDER LAST WENSDAY I PULLED OUT FROM THE DEALER AND WAS HAVING TROUBLE STEERING. WENT ABOUT 2 MILES DOWN THE ROAD TO A MALL AND PULLED IN AND SAID TO MY BUDDIE THAT I THOUGHT THE STEERING WAS MESSED UP. ALL HE SAID WAS RELAX YOU ARN'T DRIVING THE HARLEY THAT THE STEERING WAS POWER ASSIST ON THE SPYDER. DID SOME FIGURE 8'S AND LEFT AND RIGHT CIRCLES AND THEN THE RAIN STARTED AND WE AERE ON THE RAOD RUNNING FOR HOME. IT DID TAKE ME ABOUT 5 MILES AND SOME PRETTY GOOD BENDS TO GET THE FEEL FOR THE SPYDER AND RELAX MORE AND STOP OVER STEERING. I THINK THE THING GOES AROUND BENDS LIKE IT'S ON RAILS. I LIKE THIS THING
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Trypod
06-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Ditto!! I thought I had a Spyder steering problem when I got the machine, turned out the problem was with Trypod and he had to learn to relaxxxx . Now every ryde is more fun than the last as I continue to "test" the steering, which by the way is fantastic now that the new DPS unit has been installed and synchronized. Steers even quicker now, so it is a matter of "point and go", gosh I'm lovin' this...

MSGTDOC
06-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Ditto!! I thought I had a Spyder steering problem when I got the machine, turned out the problem was with Trypod and he had to learn to relaxxxx . Now every ryde is more fun than the last as I continue to "test" the steering, which by the way is fantastic now that the new DPS unit has been installed and synchronized. Steers even quicker now, so it is a matter of "point and go", gosh I'm lovin' this...

I HEAR YA

Bandit58
06-30-2008, 11:28 AM
:agree:

Lamonster
06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
:popcorn:

Derwin
06-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Hey.....All this talk is making me scaaaaaared! :shocked:

I don't want to be flipping over when I take this on the road. :yikes: I wish they had the SE5's available locally for a test drive. I'm exciting about geting mine in a little over a month, but I'm also starting to think maybe I needed to test it out BEFORE placing my order. Too late for that now! :(

Derwin

LittleJohn
06-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey.....All this talk is making me scaaaaaared! :shocked:

I don't want to be flipping over when I take this on the road. :yikes: I wish they had the SE5's available locally for a test drive. I'm exciting about geting mine in a little over a month, but I'm also starting to think maybe I needed to test it out BEFORE placing my order. Too late for that now! :(

Derwin

Hang in there Derwin!!!!:thumbup:
You test drove the SM5 :spyder:right? Its gonna ride the same as that, just different place to shift! Fear not:yikes:, hang in there with us:chat:. You wont regret it!!!!:2thumbs::clap:

Trickyrick55
06-30-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm not a Spyder owner and don't have one on order. When I took my test ride I was able to sneak up to about 90 and never felt a shimmy or shake. The steering was very responsive, turned on a nats hair, but no shake or shimmy.

frleo
06-30-2008, 04:22 PM
I was thankful for the many reports regards handling on these forums.

When I finally took delivery, I experienced most of the conditions that had been reported, but they were a non-event because i knew the answers.

For one that "hangs on tight" you're gonna oversteer. Relax and enjoy.

The other thing that could be disconcerting is the feel when cornering. This ain't a 2 wheeler. As reported by many more experienced than me -- lean a bit forward and into the turn and be happy. Try to steer with "lean" like on a 2 wheeler and you're gonna feel like it's gonna throw you off.

My very best advice -- DO THOSE EXERCISES -- as suggested in the owner's manual.

Then, you'll love your spYder like most of us.

---leo---

Lamonster
06-30-2008, 05:14 PM
:agree: That's what i tell everyone who is getting ready to ride a Spyder. You just need to relax and enjoy the ride. I can run 80mph past a big rig with one hand with no problem now. Got to Love the :spyder:

jarhd3
06-30-2008, 11:01 PM
One of the things to remember concerning the handling and steering of the spyder is MIND SET.Over the years fm. switching from 2 whls.to 4whls and back,riders must remember the adjustments of motorcycling vs. auto.Motorcycles-push and pull the handlebars;auto-gripping the wheel and making slight back and forth movements and turnig the wheel in an arc to make a complete turn.Now the spyder comes along and it is SOMEWHAT DIFFERENT but it also combines the 2.Look at the frontend,it is a sportcar like A frame w/coilover shocks and acts independently.It is so easy to forget this simple fact,especially if you're a hard core biker.It is 1/3rd...sportcar and 3/4 motorcycle.

jarhd3
07-01-2008, 12:38 AM
in my previous post my 15 yr.old son pointed out my incorrect math.I meant to point out that the spyder was 1/3rd. sportcar and 2/3rds.motorcycle.Sorry!Another thing to try out is to totally soften up the suspension,front and rear and journey to a local desserted lot and put the spyder thru its paces.Make alot of L&R turns and circles.Zig zag and really try alot of manuvers.Then play alittle w/the adjustments one increment at a time till you get the response you desire.I did it,it was fun and I learned alot about the spyder in the process and it handles to my satisfaction.The ride i get is Incredible! I can whip it around ANYWHERE!Also the rain is no longer a problem-tracks well.

SpyderMark
07-01-2008, 07:50 AM
I come from many years of motorcycle riding, and found my problem was simply a matter of overcontrol. Try too hard, and the thing darts all over. My suspicion is that when you feel the bumps from the suspension through the handlebars, you automatically tend to react, and steer the Spyder slightly.-Scotty

I think a problem for us experienced two-wheelers is leaning. When the Spyder hits a bump, or you ride on a road with a pronounced crown, the machine tilts. This takes a bit of getting used to. I often ride on poorly maintained county roads with many ruts, bumps and steep crowns; Spydie rolls left and right like a brand new pilot trying to keep the wings level on a gusty day!

On a motorcycle, when the bike tilts with the road (or a wind gust), the rider immediately hauls it back upright. Try that on the Spyder and you're ride's gonna get real interesting! Ask me how I know...

I've also noticed the Spyder does "wander" a bit on the straight stretches -- like a four-wheeler. It's not an "out of control" wander, rather it just moves a little with variations in the road. The problem for us experienced two-wheelers is the rider moves opposite the Spyder; when the Spyder moves left the rider's body doesn't move immediately (a body at rest tends to stay at rest). This is VERY disconcerting for the motorcycle rider who NEVER leans opposite the bike except at slow speeds making tight turns. It also might may make the inexperienced Spyder rider feel like the Spyder is trying to scoot out from underneath him or her.

Interestingly, I don't notice this tendency during a turn. I believe it's because the suspension and steering are "loaded up," so-to-speak, with the forces of the turn, and the rider is already leaning away from the centripedal force.

Like a four-wheeler, if the rider tries to force the Spyder NOT to wander on the straights, the result is almost always overcontrol. The secret is to give Spydie her head just a bit in the straights and go with the flow.

Lastly, I find at highway speeds (70+ mph) it's best to lean forward a bit and put a little bend in my arms. That way when my upper body sticking out in the slipstream takes a wind gust there's enough give so my body movement isn't transmitted to the handlebars.

The best advice I can give a new ryder is to take a few moments in a parking lot getting used to the "feel" of Spydie. Start slowly and work slowly into the faster stuff. Try to avoid the distraction of traffic until you feel more comfortable. Use the dealer's demo Spyder if possible, because the lack of adequate cooling air while learning to ride (lot's of slow riding, stopping and sitting) isn't good for the engine during break in.

The bottom line is Spyder ryding involves a learning curve -- but it's a very shallow one for the committed!

Life is a highway...

Mark

captainryder
07-01-2008, 08:10 AM
:agree:
I for one only have ridden a Spyder for 20 minutes on a Demo Ride. As a complete novice, newbie, never been on a motrocycle, I found that less grip (as everyone is saying) was the best way to control the Spyder. When I tried to grip tightly, it did tranform to the steering every movement.

In a brief moment, when an obstacle was on the road, and I was deciding whether to let it go between the two front wheels or swerve to the right, I gripped tightly and for a second there thought I was going to loose it!

I definitely will be doing alot of parking lot training when my SE5 finally arrives to feel comfortable with steering. I agree that the lerning curve will be short, and I have probably an advantage instead of disadvantage in that I won't be accustomed to press left or right, go left or right swerving techniques learned on 2 wheeled vehicles.

jeuchler
07-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Of course this will seem silly and obvious to all those who've been ryding their Spyders since last winter, but...

We (that's two of us) took the Homecoming Ride to Canada and left the suspension exactly the way it was set up by the dealer.

I finally tightened front and rear preload--it corners so flat now it's like a different vehicle!

Of course I know this from riding mototcycles since 1979. Of course I understand the basic physics. Still, a tunable suspension never ceases to amaze me.

Relax, practice riding your Spyder, t h e n adjust the suspension. You'll love it even more...:thumbup:

RocketLady
07-01-2008, 10:20 AM
When I first drove my new Spyder, I was having difficulty with the steering too ! However after stopping in a parking lot and checking the tire pressure THAT was the problem. Just a reminder to check your tires. Yes, the dealer should have done that and of course said they did but it only had 5 lbs in front right tire and 10 in left. Now, that really was a steering problem ! Ride Safe:2thumbs:

Derwin
07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Hang in there Derwin!!!!:thumbup:
You test drove the SM5 :spyder:right? Its gonna ride the same as that, just different place to shift! Fear not:yikes:, hang in there with us:chat:. You wont regret it!!!!:2thumbs::clap:

Well, I can't really say that I truly test drove the SM5. Actually, all they let me do is ride it around the parking lot....although it was a BIG parking lot! :D

I have ZERO experience on motorcycles, and when I was riding the Spyder, it seems really neat, but it was a bit scary as well. I guess I'll just have to get it and get used to it. I have already "driven" it in my MIND a thousand miles by reading all of these posts, so when the REAL thing arrives, I think it'll be old hat!

Derwin

Smylinacha
07-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Derwin, I bought mine w/out ever riding one. I have ridden motorcycles though. It was weird for me because I had to "unlearn" the leaning that motorcycles do that the :spyder:does not do. So maybe for you it might be easy because since you don't have 2 wheel experience, you won't have to "unlearn" anything - see what I'm sayin?:D

Anyway, I bought the :spyder:and then 2 weeks later went to test drive a demo. I was following the owner who was on his bike and I headed straight out the parking lot in the middle of traffic, not being able to turn - I was too busy trying to LEAN the thing! LOL! Then it dawned on me - I steered the :spyder:back into the correct lane of traffic and off I went.

Spyder is very safe - nothing to fear!

Derwin
07-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Derwin, I bought mine w/out ever riding one...

...Spyder is very safe - nothing to fear!

Thanks for building my confidence. I'm pretty sure I'll love it when I get it in around a month or so, I just get "cold feet" every now and then when I think about it! :( But then I come back to this forum and get all excited again. :thumbup:

Derwin

Hey...I like your new avatar!

Smylinacha
07-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Just stay EXCITED - I think part of the problem is you've had such a long wait so you think alot about it. I know that would bug the :cus: out of me too!

Now in the meantime, are there anymore test rides near you?

It's so much fun to ride - YOU ARE NOT GONNA HAVE A PROBLEM - I PROMISE!:2thumbs::doorag::clap:

FANG
07-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Just wanted to chime in on this one as a new Spyder Ryder. Have logged about 70 miles on the Wild Machine, All has been on the road except form my initial trip around the dealer parking lot. I was so intimidated when I started out I held on 'TIGHT" and was all over the road. The longer I stayed on the Spyder the more relaxed I became and the easier it has become to steer. I handles great. Stable, Corners like its on rails.
Becoming more confident with every mile logged.

My only previous 2 wheel experience was when I was 16. Let's just say that was a long time ago. Think never really riding 2 wheeler might be a bit of an advantage nothing to unlearn you start fresh on a new machine.

I TELL YOU I'M HAVIGN THE TIME OF MY LIFE.:clap::clap::thumbup:

MSGTDOC
07-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I BOUGHT MINE LAST WENSDAY AND JUST TURNED OVER 407.6 MILES ON IT WITH TONIGHTS RIDE. THE MORE I RIDE IT THE MORE I LOVE THE THING.JUST RELAX AND THINGS WILL GO FINE. THE STEERING IS REAL EASY. YOU ARE GONNA LOVE IT
:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thu mbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Mr K
07-02-2008, 06:22 AM
I enjoy mine like crazy with the high cost of gas it is a a easy thing to do. My wife loves the machine and has been on the web searching web sites. from custom paint job to extra lighting. I feel she has been bite by the spyder bug.

scottmanesis
07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
One test on the SPyder and I was sold on it.....as if I already wasn't right?
I wrote a lengthy review of my impressions on the other SPyder site, this one was down.

I learned in my short ride for myself that my body is going to have to adjust or relearn and approach it as a different vehicle, it's not a bike but my body thinks it is anyhowe.

My first stop sign and although I read about it, thought about it and was told again right before the test ride that there is no front brake lever......you know what I did? Of course I tried to reach for it. Then instinctively I Puckered up as it was if I had just lost my front brakes to my body....I slammed on the foot brake ( on a bike I would not have but I was coming up quick to the intersection and in a scenerio where a bike lost its front brake with my riding style I was about to have to low side it!)........Well ABS works as advertised.......this may be the best brakes I have ever seen on a vehicle, the linked braking on my VFR was the best I had experienced prior. This also made me rethink in my mind exactly how dangerous motorcycle can be that I have taken for granted in the past...maybe this is my wake up call? If I was on a bike that day that lost its front brakes it may have resulted in my death and mechanical failures happen no matter how good of a rider one might think they are.

I can't wait to learn a new set of skills.....just have to get my mind to think like a lotus driver not a knee dragger and I will be A OK! That's my theory anyhowe......others may differ and comments appreciated!

Also, I was just about to purchase a Kawasaki concours 1400 as it was the perfect bike for my riding needs/skills as I saw it fit right between the Goldwing and the VFR I had owned.....a nice mix of both would have fit my riding style.I thought I had found the perfect bike for me.......now the wife and I are getting SPyders instead.....what else can I say?

I hope that I don't regret the decision to give up motorcycling for one...we can't fit any more toys in the budget for the next stretch of time so this is it.....don't plan on owning a car at all. I don't mind any sort of weather aside from ice and already have all the proper gear.

We will be living in an RV full time for the next few years and it sure would be hard to drive the RV the Spyders and a car all at the same time to move them.......there are only two of us! I think we are putting a limb out there for reliability as it is a new vehicle .....but I am willing to take a chance on BRP, they have a chance to gain a lifelong customer in me...hope they don't let me down!

Obviously our situtation is not the norm, so there is not going to be the possibility of returning it from where I purchased it for work etc, I am going to have to have it serviced at different places all around the country.......at least I will be able to give my critique and comaprison for others to read concerning my experiences from place to place and reports on long term high mielage reliability.

Will be traveling around the country for the next few years on the Spyder, wife and I taking turns chasing it with the RV when we move great distances...............we can't wait......the good thing is we will have a spare one in the trailor in tow should something catastrophic happen on the road which is why we are willing to chance it and we can alternate Spyders durig trips when not riding them together to keep similar mileage on both. BRP you have any job openings for long term testers?? Kick in a few bucks for gas? lol.

Kural
07-02-2008, 12:29 PM
I agree with the opinion that it all depends on what riding experience you come from. I previously only ever rode 4-wheelers off road, and a Sidecar hack on pavement. From that riding history perspective, my Spyder is a dream!

I will say, I sometimes feel the centripetal force a bit more on this ride, but perhaps it's because I do feel so relaxed on this ride compared to the Sidecar, that it maybe sneaks up on me...

As long as you remind yourself this is NOT like a 2-wheeled machine, you will be fine!

Mr K
07-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Derwin

Yes i bought mine funny thing only sat on one that was parked did not even get to here it run. Told wife she said ok shocked me.
Put deposit down and bugged the hell out of sales rep. I think that is the key let them know you want it. Incase someone backs out they will call you. I did not take test ride and the last time i rode a bike was like 20 plus years ago.

Now i got this one my wife loves it she like to ride with me and she is talking about getting her one in the spring.

The more i ride it the better i get . Just got enough guts to take it on the highway. Got it up to 80mph and it was so smooth handle nice very steady when passing big trucks.
More stable then a two wheeler when passing them i think. yes they are awsome.