PDA

View Full Version : Getting access to the battery

Jonnyvermont
08-22-2013, 07:00 AM
So, I need to jump start my RT 2013. I need to get the panel on the top right inside of the frunk off. There is a pin with a washer around it keeping it in place. How do I remove this? I can't seem to do this without mangling the washer.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NancysToy
08-22-2013, 07:41 AM
To open a push rivet, pry up on the inner post until it comes back to the detent, then pull the rivet out using the large "washer". If the center pops out you can put it back in. To refasten, place it in the hole and push the center down.

Bob Denman
08-22-2013, 07:50 AM
I was trying to get straight in my mind what he was describing... :shocked:
Thanks Scotty! :thumbup:
This is a good thing to know; your bike's bodywork is littered with them!

Chupaca
08-22-2013, 12:01 PM
the center of these rivets have a notch where you can get a small flat screwdriver in to lift it up. Once up you can lift up the larger base (washer) removing the whole assembly. To re-install it press the larger base in flush then press the center down to lock it in...:thumbup:

billybovine
08-22-2013, 12:25 PM
I am not sure what panel you are trying to remove. Open the trunk. The access panel is the upper left one. (The Spyder's left not yours) Grab it and pull. There are no plastic rivets to remove.

szohar
08-22-2013, 12:53 PM
The easiest way to jump start is to connect the cables under the seat.

Magdave
08-22-2013, 01:48 PM
I am not sure what panel you are trying to remove. Open the trunk. The access panel is the upper left one. (The Spyder's left not yours) Grab it and pull. There are no plastic rivets to remove. :hun:

To jump it you need to remove the upper right corner black plate ( looking from the front) Scotty is right but I just pull the whole center pin out and the pry the lower part up with a small screwdiver. You can put them back together after it is out The pop rivet pin only goes in one way and do not push it down until you insert the whole assembly back into the hole.:thumbup: There are also 2 tabs that must be pulled back from under the Tupperware on both ends. Remember the 2013 battery location and jumping area are different than previous models. The battery is in the frunk now on RTs at least it is. There are 2 jumper posts under the upper right cover though.

NancysToy
08-22-2013, 02:12 PM
The easiest way to jump start is to connect the cables under the seat.

They are in the trunk for 2013. The battery is now up front.

billybovine
08-22-2013, 02:14 PM
:hun:

To jump it you need to remove the upper right corner black plate ( looking from the front) Scotty is right but I just pull the whole center pin out and the pry the lower part up with a small screwdiver. You can put them back together after it is out The pop rivet pin only goes in one way and do not push it down until you insert the whole assembly back into the hole.:thumbup: There are also 2 tabs that must be pulled back from under the Tupperware on both ends. Remember the 2013 battery location and jumping area are different than previous models. The battery is in the frunk now on RTs at least it is. There are 2 jumper posts under the upper right cover though.

Sorry my mistake at first look the cover looked the same as the ST but it's not. It does have a tuflok plastic rivet. But it is still the left panel.

Magdave
08-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Sorry my mistake at first look the cover looked the same as the ST but it's not. It does have a tuflok plastic rivet. But it is still the left panel.

It is all in how you look at it from the seat or from the front. Technically you are correct but you cannot see it from the seat. Just like the drivers door on a car is the left door.;)

NancysToy
08-22-2013, 02:42 PM
It is all in how you look at it from the seat or from the front. Technically you are correct but you cannot see it from the seat. Just like the drivers door on a car is the left door.;)

Parts on a vehicle are always described from the driver's/pilot's point of view in driving position.

billybovine
08-22-2013, 03:09 PM

It just reduces the confusion if parts are described based on the vehicle, not how you are looking at it. Lets say for example you are looking at your spyder from the single tire end and see that it is worn out. You don't call the dealer and say I need a new front tire because that's the way you are looking at it. It's the back tire and you would get the wrong tire. So parts are described as front, rear, left, right, based on the vehicle perspective not yours. It's a very common mistake. Funny thing is people will confuse the left and right but not the front and rear.

MouthPiece
08-22-2013, 04:13 PM
You say toMAYtoe and I say toMAHtoe. :yikes:

Chris

Dan McNally
08-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Funny thing is people will confuse the left and right but not the front and rear.

Or top and bottom! And we had guys in basic training who had a whole lot of trouble telling left from right! :banghead:

thrinsag
08-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Speaking of the two jumper posts in the frunk on the RT. How about the ST, and wouldn't this be an easier place to connect a battery tender, power supply with an in line fuse, etc?

NancysToy
08-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Speaking of the two jumper posts in the frunk on the RT. How about the ST, and wouldn't this be an easier place to connect a battery tender, power supply with an in line fuse, etc?

Not sure about the 2013's, but on the earlier Spyders with the jump start terminals under the seat, loosening the negative post caused problems.

thrinsag
08-23-2013, 09:58 AM
I think the extra terminals on the ST are now located under the service panel, left hand side, under frunk lid. Should have checked my owner manual first. Thanks for the heads up.

ringalls51
09-19-2014, 03:22 PM
i want to know is it possible to put a jumper post from a 2013 rt and put it on a 2014 rt the 2014 rt does not have the jumper post dealer does not have any idea does anyone know