PDA

View Full Version : Most Obnoxious Mod in the World...

Yazz
08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
When driving a cage I'm very aware of motorcycles around me and give them space. Have to respect anyone out there in the wind. Till now...

Was stuck in rush hour traffic tonight, slowly making my way home. Something caught my eye in the rear view mirror. It was a motorcycle with flashing headlights. Hmm says I, so that's what the SpyderLovers are talking about with the phsdo flashing headlights.

Traffic stopped, I stopped, the bike stopped, the headlights kept flashing. Did I tell you that movement or flashing catches you eye and attention?

This POS Honda mini version of a Goldwing in flat black was hugging my rear bumper for twenty minutes in stop-and-go traffic flashing his :cus: lights in my rear view mirror. Rush hour traffic is hectic as it is, but to have that distraction really fired my burners.

Was glad when he finally zipped around me. Yeah, he had paper plates.

Thanks for letting me vent...

Y'all can go back to your regularly scheduled program now.

Chupaca
08-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Anytime that's what we are here for...now what were you saying I wasn't listening..!! :roflblack::roflblack:

Saw it for the first time on our last trip..really strange how they flash red and blue...

Yazz
08-21-2013, 08:07 PM
I thought is was a cop at first too! But going as slow as I was, and there was no place to turn over, started observing the bike.

Yup, white helmet. But no colored flashing lights, just white coming from the headlights.

Saw red and blue flashing lights once in armpit nowhere. Nice guy, but he still wrote me a ticket...

boborgera
08-21-2013, 08:25 PM
I thought is was a cop at first too! But going as slow as I was, and there was no place to turn over, started observing the bike.

Yup, white helmet. But no colored flashing lights, just white coming from the headlights.

Believe it or not, Thats the purpose of those pulsating lights, To get your attention.
And they are legal, Annoying but legal..Some bikers swear by them, But when you have them on your bike and your in bumper to bumper traffic you should be using the hi-beams, The pulsator turns off with the Hi-beams on...

Yazz
08-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Next time the situation arrises, I'll get out of my cage, walk back to Mr. Jerk and advise him to turn on his high beams. Thanks!

Me personally, I was about ready to slam on my breaks. Ooops!

SpyderAnn01
08-21-2013, 08:44 PM
I know it made you mad but you are making me laugh. Were you screaming at your rear view mirror for the idiot to turn the dang things off?

bruiser
08-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Saw red and blue flashing lights once in armpit nowhere. Nice guy, but he still wrote me a ticket...

Yep. They're the ones that will give you a ticket.

Yazz
08-21-2013, 09:31 PM
I know it made you mad but you are making me laugh. Were you screaming at your rear view mirror for the idiot to turn the dang things off?

Thanks to Boborgera I now know the flashing light can be turned off. Didn't know it then. The only way I thought to turn the lights off was to slam on the breaks. Love my Subie car dearly and didn't want any harm to befall her.

Yeah, there were words said that cannot be said here... Did I tell you I made a sailor blush?

Yep. They're the ones that will give you a ticket.

Most towns post ten miles out that you're coming into their jurisdiction. Slow down to the speed limit and get through town.

This town had no marker that you were coming into a town. The sneaky :cus:. It's all about the jingle in their pockets...

Ccol
08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Here is a YouTube demonstration on ( Headlight and Stop light Modulators ) these make motorcycles far more visible.
Ride safe Col

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbQcIGUy4CY

boborgera
08-21-2013, 09:54 PM

When i get that angry, And i'm in my car with my wife she always suggests to me maybe i need a little anger management...
I just tell her i don't need any stinking anger management...
I just need people to stop pissing me off...:banghead:

NancysToy
08-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Be sure to put a buck into the "Cuss Jar". :roflblack:

Oldmanzues
08-22-2013, 12:49 AM
I, personally, do not like the modulater for headlights, but they are legal under Federal law in all 50 states. Any action toward someone using them could get you red and blue lights, plus steel bracelets. One guy I know of, sued "his attacker" and got, at least, a new motorcycle.
Oldmanzues

Bob Denman
08-22-2013, 07:39 AM
Modulators are annoying to look at; but they sure do make you visible in traffic... :dontknow:
For The Record:
Don't like 'em... never used 'em...

I'd rather use technique and awareness to keep upright! :thumbup:

boborgera
08-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Modulators are annoying to look at; but they sure do make you visible in traffic... :dontknow:
For The Record:
Don't like 'em... never used 'em...

I'd rather use technique and awareness to keep upright! :thumbup:
:agree:
I think a lot of people use the Modulators because they want to / or do drive aggressively. ie; Move out of my way I'm coming though. The brake light Modulators are a good idea they don't annoy, As a matter of fact I will if there's a car behind me pump the brakes when I have to make a stop.

Bob Denman
08-22-2013, 08:03 AM
Me too! I give a couple of taps just to find where I left the brake pedal last... :shocked:

MarkLawson
08-22-2013, 08:57 AM
I think a lot of people use the Modulators because they want to / or do drive aggressively. ie; Move out of my way I'm coming though. The brake light Modulators are a good idea they don't annoy, As a matter of fact I will if there's a car behind me pump the brakes when I have to make a stop.

I disagree. The purpose of headlight modulators is to make your bike more visable to traffic, especially oncoming traffic. In your case, it worked. An unfortunate number of riders are killed each year when oncoming traffic turns left in front of the bike and the bike hits them. The headlight modulators are designed to increase the likelihood of being seen and decrease the likelihood of being killed.

Bob Denman
08-22-2013, 09:01 AM
...But they don't do anything for the eyeballs of the guy who is directly in front of you in traffic... :shocked:
I understand the theory; it's the application of it, that falls short. :sour:

Yazz
08-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Be sure to put a buck into the "Cuss Jar". :roflblack:

Should put a "Cuss Jar" out in the garage. Would make a lot of money that way.

Did you know that if you swear at an over torqued bolt, it'll come off easier? :thumbup:

...But they don't do anything for the eyeballs of the guy who is directly in front of you in traffic... :shocked:
I understand the theory; it's the application of it, that falls short. :sour:

Bob Denman
08-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Can you take money out of it, in order to put money back into it? :shocked:

captblack
08-22-2013, 10:39 AM
I can understand Joy's frustration but it seems there are some lucky people responding to this. I guess you have never had a fool turn in front of you. Add the normal cell phone to the mix and you can see the potential for disaster. I have had it happen, even on the Spyder. You may be alert for bikes as you drive but the majority of drivers are not and after they hurt or kill somebody the response is always the same - I didn't see them :hun:. Does a lot of good then, I guess. The other problem is that the driver usually gets off with little to no penalty, but that is a topic for another thread.

I have a modulator on my Vulcan and I have seen it work by the response in oncoming traffic. Mine is hooked to the high beam and turns off when the low beam is on. It also has a sensor that turns off the modulator at night. Usually, I can see that the light is not hitting a rearview when at a light but if I see that it is, I will switch to low beams until we are moving again.

Sorry for the rant but sometimes you just have to get it out ... :banghead:

boborgera
08-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Did you know that if you swear at an over torqued bolt, it'll come off easier? :thumbup:

Na, All you have to do is tighten it a little more till you hear a snap, And then it will spin right off. and when tightening one' apply pressure till it strips, Then back off a quarter turn...:roflblack:

Yazz
08-22-2013, 06:31 PM

No. How can you get enough money for pizza if you keep taking the dollars out? :lecturef_smilie:

I can understand Joy's frustration but it seems there are some lucky people responding to this. I guess you have never had a fool turn in front of you. Add the normal cell phone to the mix and you can see the potential for disaster. I have had it happen, even on the Spyder. You may be alert for bikes as you drive but the majority of drivers are not and after they hurt or kill somebody the response is always the same - I didn't see them :hun:. Does a lot of good then, I guess. The other problem is that the driver usually gets off with little to no penalty, but that is a topic for another thread.

I have a modulator on my Vulcan and I have seen it work by the response in oncoming traffic. Mine is hooked to the high beam and turns off when the low beam is on. It also has a sensor that turns off the modulator at night. Usually, I can see that the light is not hitting a rearview when at a light but if I see that it is, I will switch to low beams until we are moving again.

Sorry for the rant but sometimes you just have to get it out ... :banghead:

Understand where you're coming from. Pisses me off when a car kills or maims a motorcyclist and they get off with a pat on the wrist. Just not right.

I believe you about the modulator and traffic response. You have a pretty neat set-up there. Glad you are aware of the lights and are courteous to those around you. Wish more bikers had your attitude...

Rant appreciated and learned something too!

Na, All you have to do is tighten it a little more till you hear a snap, And then it will spin right off. and when tightening one' apply pressure till it strips, Then back off a quarter turn...:roflblack:

Don't you hate those aluminum bolts? :banghead: :joke:

Doktor
08-22-2013, 07:59 PM

NOPE

Doc

boborgera
08-22-2013, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=Yazz;676

Don't you hate those aluminum bolts? :banghead: :joke:[/QUOTE]

It's not the aluminum bolts, It's the Chinese bolts......:gaah::gaah:

Flanker
08-23-2013, 08:14 AM
When driving a cage I'm very aware of motorcycles around me and give them space. Have to respect anyone out there in the wind. Till now...

Was stuck in rush hour traffic tonight, slowly making my way home. Something caught my eye in the rear view mirror. It was a motorcycle with flashing headlights. Hmm says I, so that's what the SpyderLovers are talking about with the phsdo flashing headlights.

Traffic stopped, I stopped, the bike stopped, the headlights kept flashing. Did I tell you that movement or flashing catches you eye and attention?

This POS Honda mini version of a Goldwing in flat black was hugging my rear bumper for twenty minutes in stop-and-go traffic flashing his :cus: lights in my rear view mirror. Rush hour traffic is hectic as it is, but to have that distraction really fired my burners.

Was glad when he finally zipped around me. Yeah, he had paper plates.

Thanks for letting me vent...

Y'all can go back to your regularly scheduled program now.

I feel your irritation!

I take it; the rear mounted flamethrower was out of fuel at the time? ;)

finless
08-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Have you ever seen a Spyder coming at you? They tend to flash already!
The bumps in the road and the up and down motion of the Spyder makes them look like they are flashing.

When I am behind cars at dusk or dawn I can see my headlights flashing the reflectors on cars.
First time I saw that I was like.... what the heck? why are my headlights flashing?

Bob

Yazz
08-23-2013, 09:35 AM
It's not the aluminum bolts, It's the Chinese bolts......:gaah::gaah:

Mystery metal at its worst... :shocked:

I feel your irritation!

I take it; the rear mounted flamethrower was out of fuel at the time? ;)

Already have the igniters set up in the rear of the mufflers. The hard part is getting the fuel rich enough with an EFI system. Anybody here good with fuel programming? :joke:

Have you ever seen a Spyder coming at you? They tend to flash already!
The bumps in the road and the up and down motion of the Spyder makes them look like they are flashing.

When I am behind cars at dusk or dawn I can see my headlights flashing the reflectors on cars.
First time I saw that I was like.... what the heck? why are my headlights flashing?

Bob

That is exactly what I thought the flashing lights were at first.

We don't mean for our lights to flash. It's the nature of the beast. But, when we stop, the flashing stops.

Mr. Jerk knew what he was doing and did it anyway.

Dan McNally
08-23-2013, 09:58 AM
After seeing the video, I want both these mods. That said, like anything else, they can be misused. How many times are we blinded by some idiot who leaves his high beams on, as he approaches us on a narrow, two-lane road? We aren't complaining about high beams and cars that have them. . . we complain about the idiot who misuses them. The modulating headlights are a great safety device as they attract another driver's eyes to the guy on the motorcycle. They can be disabled, and should be when following someone . . . just like high beams at night. The guy that was trying to ruin Yazz's vision was simply the same sort of jerk who never dims his high beams, misusing a tool (or he was a tool, misusing a safety device! :roflblack:)

Rayelljay
08-23-2013, 10:15 AM
I have heard of some riders being pulled over because of the perceived warning of a speed trap. Don't some of the modulators quit the flashing below a certain speed...?

Bob Denman
08-23-2013, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=Yazz;676945]
Already have the igniters set up in the rear of the mufflers. The hard part is getting the fuel rich enough with an EFI system. Anybody here good with fuel programming? :joke: /QUOTE]
What about a small, separate supply of gas and a tiny electronic pump?

Yazz
08-23-2013, 01:26 PM
After seeing the video, I want both these mods. That said, like anything else, they can be misused. How many times are we blinded by some idiot who leaves his high beams on, as he approaches us on a narrow, two-lane road? We aren't complaining about high beams and cars that have them. . . we complain about the idiot who misuses them. The modulating headlights are a great safety device as they attract another driver's eyes to the guy on the motorcycle. They can be disabled, and should be when following someone . . . just like high beams at night. The guy that was trying to ruin Yazz's vision was simply the same sort of jerk who never dims his high beams, misusing a tool (or he was a tool, misusing a safety device! :roflblack:)

:agree: He was a tool. With power (and certain mods), comes responsibility.

I have heard of some riders being pulled over because of the perceived warning of a speed trap. Don't some of the modulators quit the flashing below a certain speed...?

Yeah, I heard about the cops pulling over people flashing their lights as a warning too. On a motorcycle, you can pat the top of your head as a warning for cops. No flashing needed.

CaptBlack might know the answer about the modulators not flashing when slowing down.

[QUOTE=Yazz;676945]
Already have the igniters set up in the rear of the mufflers. The hard part is getting the fuel rich enough with an EFI system. Anybody here good with fuel programming? :joke: /QUOTE]

Oooooh, have some 2 gal. Rotopax left over from the trip! Just need to find a pump for the gas...

Oh man Bob, you are going to get me in trouble. :helpsmilie:

Bob Denman
08-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Sorry... :D I've been told that it's what I do best! :roflblack:

ARtraveler
08-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Have not answered this one yet. I do agree that the headlight modulator can be a very obnoxious thing to deal with if the headlights are not aimed properly. On the other hand, they do get other drivers attention.

I don't have one on the :spyder2:

bruiser
08-23-2013, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=Yazz;676945]

Here you go Bob.

http://www.military.com/video/aircraft/jet-fighters/incredible-f-111-jet-dump-and-burn/1471768295001/#.Uhe0MHXZ_-I.email

Flanker
08-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Be sure to put a buck into the "Cuss Jar". :roflblack:What the :cus: is a cuss jar? :dontknow: ;)

Yazz
08-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Sorry... :D I've been told that it's what I do best! :roflblack:

Well, you have to be the best at something!

Have not answered this one yet. I do agree that the headlight modulator can be a very obnoxious thing to deal with if the headlights are not aimed properly. On the other hand, they do get other drivers attention.

I don't have one on the :spyder2:

Never knew about modulators till this thread was started. Our Spyders' lights do flicker somewhat going down the road so thats a good thing. Another good thing is when the Spyder stops, so does the flickering.

Yazz
08-23-2013, 05:32 PM
What the :cus: is a cuss jar? :dontknow: ;)

It's a bleepin' mayonnaise jar, or a blip blip mason jar, or a bleeeeep coffee can or blipin what ever bleep you have around to blep blep put your bliiipin' buck in every bleepin' time you :cus:.

There! I just made enough money to get the Domino's ten dollar special!:yes:

Bob Denman
08-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Pixzza Hut is having an "early week" special... $6.55 for a pizza with one topping
Monday through Thursday...
So fire up your Blippity-blip foul mouth over the goldang weekend, and you can eat like a bloody Queen next week! :D
Pizza has the four major food groups covered:
Crust
Sauce
Cheese
Toppings! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Pixzza Hut is having an "early week" special... $6.55 for a pizza with one topping
Monday through Thursday...
So fire up your Blippity-blip foul mouth over the goldang weekend, and you can eat like a bloody Queen next week! :D
Pizza has the four major food groups covered:
Crust
Sauce
Cheese
Toppings! :thumbup:

But, I don't like Pizza Hut. :(