PDA

View Full Version : Heat Problem

Doug
08-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Hate to bring up the heat problem again, but I'm going too. About 11:30 am left my house on my ST-Limited Spyder to go for a short ride, went approx. 50km or 50 miles and in between stopped for lunch, when I arrived home I had to unlatch seat and leave it open for a while the seat and especially the surounding area under seat were hot enough to fry bacon and eggs, is there any clues to what BRP ARE GOING TO DO TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM, if any.:mad::opps:

Chupaca
08-21-2013, 04:43 PM
:popcorn::popcorn: hope they're not waiting for winter when the problem fades...:dontknow:

ivanlee
08-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Hate to bring up the heat problem again, but I'm going too. About 11:30 am left my house on my ST-Limited Spyder to go for a short ride, went approx. 50kL or 50 miles and in between stopped for lunch, when I arrived home I had to unlatch seat and leave it open for a while the seat and especially the surounding area under seat were hot enough to fry bacon and eggs, is there any clues to what BRP ARE GOING TO DO TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM, if any.:mad::opps:

Past history , I would say nothing. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Did your bike give any indication that it was running hotter than normal?
Is this the first time that this issue has popped up for you? :dontknow:

Daisyjoe
08-21-2013, 05:11 PM
I talked with BRP today and explained to them how bad the heat problem was on my 2013 RTS. I took my bike in to the dealer to be checked. It took me only 50 minutes to get home. By the time I arrived home, the inside of my thighs was hurting and the color of a tomato. I took pictures and sent them to BRP today with a short note. I was given a case number and an e-mail address. They also told me to work with my dealer. What can the dealer do?? It is a malfunction of the machine. BRP, the company, needs to come up with a solution. This is not my first Spyder. 2010 RS NEVER had a heat problem of any kind. We, as consumers, need to stand up and be heard. Please do not keep spending money trying to correct a problem that should not exist to begin with. You might think I am:bdh: (It is not dead to me and many others) but if you don't have a 2013, you have no idea the problem we are experiencing.

napper39
08-21-2013, 05:12 PM
ask flamingobabe, she had bad heat and she went to pitbulls,and they got it better so call pitbulls or ask her what all was done.:chat: one thing i rember is they flashed the competer to i think get moore fuel to the engine,so pitbull can help.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Her's was running way too lean... Which can certainly monkey things up in a whole lot of different ways! :yikes:

Doug
08-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Did your bike give any indication that it was running hotter than normal?
Is this the first time that this issue has popped up for you? :dontknow:

No Bob, have had heat problem from day one just seemed to be getting worse and or tired of it. yes I HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT IT TO THE DEALER AND BRP CARE, but I think it fell on deaf ears.

Doug
08-21-2013, 05:46 PM
I talked with BRP today and explained to them how bad the heat problem was on my 2013 RTS. I took my bike in to the dealer to be checked. It took me only 50 minutes to get home. By the time I arrived home, the inside of my thighs was hurting and the color of a tomato. I took pictures and sent them to BRP today with a short note. I was given a case number and an e-mail address. They also told me to work with my dealer. What can the dealer do?? It is a malfunction of the machine. BRP, the company, needs to come up with a solution. This is not my first Spyder. 2010 RS NEVER had a heat problem of any kind. We, as consumers, need to stand up and be heard. Please do not keep spending money trying to correct a problem that should not exist to begin with. You might think I am:bdh: (It is not dead to me and many others) but if you don't have a 2013, you have no idea the problem we are experiencing.

I totally agree with you I couldn't of said it better, I even sent off a email to BRP SERVICE they responded by saying see your dealer as they technically are not capable of helping me

mrfats
08-21-2013, 06:34 PM
ask flamingobabe, she had bad heat and she went to pitbulls,and they got it better so call pitbulls or ask her what all was done.:chat: one thing i rember is they flashed the competer to i think get moore fuel to the engine,so pitbull can help.:thumbup:

It is great that flamingobabe's Spyder is better but as Spyder owners we shouldn't have to deal with a heat problem. I'm very fortunate, I have a 2011 RTS SE5 with little or no heat issues. But I certainly do feel for those of you that do have the heat problem.

charles4690
08-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Hate to bring up the heat problem again, but I'm going too. About 11:30 am left my house on my ST-Limited Spyder to go for a short ride, went approx. 50kL or 50 miles and in between stopped for lunch, when I arrived home I had to unlatch seat and leave it open for a while the seat and especially the surounding area under seat were hot enough to fry bacon and eggs, is there any clues to what BRP ARE GOING TO DO TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM, if any.:mad::opps: Hey Doug
I am having the same type of problem on my 2013 STS. I called my dealer and explained that when I stopped to get gas after riding for about an hour the cap was so hot that I used my t-shirt to take it off. The dealer told me "they are all like that and they just run hot". I have been leaving it parked outside to cool down before I bring into my garage. Riding the spyder is really a blast. I have 5 other bikes that I also ride and I have been riding for about 40 yrs. I have never had a ride that gets hot like this. I spent 17 yrs riding HD Police Bikes in city traffic and they got hot but not like this spyder. Maybe we could all get together to communicate with BRP for a solution. There is strength in numbers.

Dan McNally
08-21-2013, 07:41 PM
. . . By the time I arrived home, the inside of my thighs was hurting and the color of a tomato.

I was having a similar problem with my 2013 RT Limited. I discovered that a tremendous amount of heat was coming up through the seat latch. I used aluminum duct tape to cover all of the opening except the hole that the latch goes into. It made a tremendous difference.

billybovine
08-21-2013, 08:01 PM
A couple weeks ago I got fed up with the volcano venting out the left side of the seat. I blocked the air flow using foam weather stripping I got at the hardware store. First I blocked under the center panel where the glove box would be on an RT. On the ST it is one huge void which sends the hot air right under the seat. Then under the tupperware on the left side there is a plastic part that looks like it is suppose to block the airflow but is not even close to being big enough. I padded out that area to fill the gap to the tupperware. On the right side I did the same thing. I was not going to at first but realised there was a lot of air coming out the right side but it was not hot. I think that air would be put to good use going down like it is suppose to and cool off the master cylinder.

It has made a huge difference in my comfort level. Yesterday as an experiment I went for a ride wearing shorts and 40 minutes I came home no worse for wear. The temperature of the tupperware and seat was 105 F. Now the heat level is now down to a level I don't feel I need to do anything else.

I can take some pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Rick11Flor
08-21-2013, 08:04 PM
i also have a 2013 RT and it also tended to get hot, i also covered the area where to radiator is to keep the heat from rising that helped alot and covered the top hole on the right @ the radiator , still gets warm but the gas tank never got hot.
:bowdown:

charles4690
08-21-2013, 08:35 PM
A couple weeks ago I got fed up with the volcano venting out the left side of the seat. I blocked the air flow using foam weather stripping I got at the hardware store. First I blocked under the center panel where the glove box would be on an RT. On the ST it is one huge void which sends the hot air right under the seat. Then under the tupperware on the left side there is a plastic part that looks like it is suppose to block the airflow but is not even close to being big enough. I padded out that area to fill the gap to the tupperware. On the right side I did the same thing. I was not going to at first but realised there was a lot of air coming out the right side but it was not hot. I think that air would be put to good use going down like it is suppose to and cool off the master cylinder.

It has made a huge difference in my comfort level. Yesterday as an experiment I went for a ride wearing shorts and 40 minutes I came home no worse for wear. The temperature of the tupperware and seat was 105 F. Now the heat level is now down to a level I don't feel I need to do anything else.

I can take some pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.I sure would like to see what you did. Do you think it is safe and won't ignite.

Doug
08-21-2013, 09:03 PM

I can take some pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Hi Billybovine, I too have a blackcurrant ST-Limited and would like to make it same as yours,please provide your photos. Thanks Doug

Bob Denman
08-22-2013, 06:46 AM
:agree: Pictures could help a lot of folks... :thumbup:

fyrertuck
08-22-2013, 07:18 AM
I do not know much but I was looking at the new 2013 RT & ST and then looking at the 2010 to 2012 RT.

I see the 2010 to 2012 RT have air deflectors on both upper and lower a-frame covers? Seeing as the new 2013 models do not have them could this be why they run hotter than the older models!:dontknow:

Bob Denman
08-22-2013, 07:57 AM
I have wondered about that very thing also...
Those deflectors are directing air into the bodywork (specifically to the radiator.)
By removing them; it would certainly change something.
But what? :shocked:
I was considering cutting them off of mine to see if it would help the bike achieve any better fuel economy through better aerodynamics. ;)

fyrertuck
08-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Not trying to jump any one thread here.

On my 2012 RTs I make air deflectors ext- on both upper and lower a-frame covers. I am pushing more air into the body but only have lost 1 to 2 mpg and I can live with that.

Seeing as the 2013 do not have them is the big ?.

But as some folk are saying there are missing heat tape if that is what we are calling it.

I love my spyder but I hope this does not kill the line of spyders.

Sny
08-22-2013, 08:41 AM
I do not know much but I was looking at the new 2013 RT & ST and then looking at the 2010 to 2012 RT.

I see the 2010 to 2012 RT have air deflectors on both upper and lower a-frame covers? Seeing as the new 2013 models do not have them could this be why they run hotter than the older models!:dontknow:
The deflectors are now built into the front fenders and supposedly bring in more air while increasing mileage (BRP's words not mine.)

flamingobabe
08-22-2013, 08:50 AM
We have wrapped the pipes, covered gas tank, master cylinder, parking brake...built a larger heat shield to protect master cylinder ....my ST was running very lean and had a flash on the ECM to enrich the fuel....the heat is better but not fixed.....this is just a band-aide ... now the bold is on and won't go away...sorry....now the idle is rough...feels like it's going to stall or take off...called BRP service Tuesday...they closed my case...Why...the bike is not fixed...they are suppose to be calling me .....we will see

bruiser
08-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Going to step on it here but when people ask about buying a Spyder I tell them to stay away from the 2013's.

billybovine
08-22-2013, 12:35 PM
No visible changes to the outside.

Stacked foam barrier under the center panel.

Added foam under left side panel. (see next post)

billybovine
08-22-2013, 12:39 PM

Added foam under the right panel.

billybovine
08-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Stuff I used

ElZorroRides
08-22-2013, 02:44 PM
To be honest, I'm fed up with the heat from my 2012 RTS. I don't care what anyone says. These bikes are just too hot. So I bought some of this and plan on sticking it onto any plastic or metal surface I can under the seat and the tank glove box area in the hopes it will cut it down
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/RRAG/Misc%20pics/1_13500_zpsc77b8d26.jpg
Heres to hoping it works. BTW, I did have the 2013 ST-L for 4 months (and boy was it a hot runnin machine) then traded it in for the 2012 RTS and not a 2013 due to all the complaints about that model so I can relate somewhat to those having issues here.

ARtraveler
08-22-2013, 02:55 PM
RE: Heat issues. Placing band aids all over under the :spyder2: does not fix the problem--IMO. It just deflects the heat somewhere else. Will it cause something to start on fire? Depends on the placement of the reflective band aid.

Once again--IMO--A machine costing as much as the :spyder2: does initially, should not require additional band aid repairs to make it rideable in hot weather. I am also hoping that the 2014's will have this problem solved--and then the retro fixes should be made to the 2013's--at no charge to the owners of the :spyder2:'s.

This appears to be pretty much an across the board problem.

dslim
08-25-2013, 04:43 PM
EVERYTHING Canam makes is hotter to ride than anyone elses. Ride a Polaris Razr and then a Commander, Ride a Polaris or Honda ATV and the try an Outlander. If you rode an Outlander around the block in shorts you'll have blisters. I really haven't noticed my 2013 being any hotter than my 2010 was. I have been riding it for six weeks now though and it still has the original DPS, rear shock and throttle body on it, so not at all sorry I bought it.

SNOOPY
08-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Just went for my second ride on my 2013 ST-S, still haven't noticed any issue with heat other than with shorts on I can't leave my knees tight against the tupperware, not that i should.

Are we noticing this more after riding a certain amount of miles? All the time? Or just when it's really hot outside?

I've only ridden conservatively and 15-20 miles at a time so maybe it's just not hitting the extremes you veteran riders are?

Bob Ledford
08-25-2013, 06:50 PM
:agree: Pictures could help a lot of folks... :thumbup:

:agree:I am with Mr Denhan I am trying get pix mentally about the panels involved but my age fogged brain cells don't want to cooperate.

My suggestion if those owners with the severe problems launch a major united frontal assault on BRP Corporate Headquarters that they submit their compliant's in a good letter head format started with make, model, mileage, and VIN. It may sound redundant in today's age of electronic communications. But some corporate lemming with no idea of what BRP manufacturers is going to open that envelope and have to route it some where for action by others. I would also suggest that any and all enclosures being included be listed at the bottom left hand corner and stapled to the top left hand corner so the enclosures do not get separated

It should read very plainly explaining the problem, the results rendered to date as to how they have been working with their dealer, the lack of effective solutions and their future plan if it cannot be resolved. Do not threaten to sell the piece of junk. But state if it cannot be resolved, "that will consider other avenues come time for replacement," that will get more results then hostility every time.

Being a retired Army Master Sergeant I believe I know how to push letters that get attention and action by others better then most.

You get my drift as your an old business man! Right?

Bob Denman
08-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Maybe there's a question lurking that hasn't yet been asked:
How many of you have heat issues only when the bike is stopped in traffic; versus out of the open road and cruising? :dontknow:
How many have it all of the time? :dontknow:
Okay... TWO questions! :D

Sarge707
08-26-2013, 07:20 AM
:agree: If your having Heat Problems I would do nothing to alter the machine because its BRPs Job to make it right.
Take pictures, Keep a log of dealer contacts and any Calls to BRP and do the "Lemon Law" thing if it is in effect in your state.

If BRP is Not going to do their job than you have to Document, Document, Document and seek a Fair solution for your Hard earned $$$!!nojoke

Bob Denman
08-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Perhaps it is BRP's job :shocked:...
But who cares where the fix has to originate if it gets you back out on the road quicker??

Sarge707
08-26-2013, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;678405]Perhaps it is BRP's job :shocked:...

Perhaps is Not the word?:lecturef_smilie:

It is BRP,s Job to Fix the Heat problems or provide a Suitable replacement that meets the Satisfaction of the Affected Owners!!nojoke

flamingobabe
08-26-2013, 01:16 PM
we have re-directed the heat sources to help with my comfort.....where it went????? BRP closed my case file....I now have rough idle problems...need to have my case file re-opened....waiting for BRP to call

ARtraveler
08-26-2013, 01:28 PM
Perhaps it is BRP's job :shocked:...
But who cares where the fix has to originate if it gets you back out on the road quicker??

I sometimes do not agree with Bob D. on issues. This one for sure. In an earlier post I mentioned that a machine costing as much as a :spyder2: does, should not have to be worked on and various "cures" initiated by the owner, in order to make the machine rideable in hot weather. The 2013's seem to be much more prone to heat issues than other years. I think this is an issue that BRP should fix. I am suggesting they are aware--but how to fix it without making waves or screwing up future production of the :ani29: is the problem--IMHO.

Bob Denman
08-26-2013, 01:54 PM
My point was not to discuss BRP's responsiblity...
The fact is; some machines feel like flamethroers.
Whose fault it is, was immaterial to the point that I was trying to make.
My response was to somebody who didn't want to touch their machine...
Bull:cus:! Find a way to make it rideable, and then ride it! If you sit on your hands waiting for somebody else to fix it; you'll be missing too much riding time! :thumbup:

Dan McNally
08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
I sometimes do not agree with Bob D. on issues. This one for sure. In an earlier post I mentioned that a machine costing as much as a :spyder2: does, should not have to be worked on and various "cures" initiated by the owner, in order to make the machine rideable in hot weather. The 2013's seem to be much more prone to heat issues than other years. I think this is an issue that BRP should fix. I am suggesting they are aware--but how to fix it without making waves or screwing up future production of the :ani29: is the problem--IMHO.

The operative word here is should. Yes, I agree, BRP should resolve the issue. In the meantime should I stop riding while I await their solution? I think not. I found a very uncomfortable problem (a tremendous amount of heat shooting through the space around the seat lock on my 2013 RT Limited) and mitigated it (by using aluminum duct tape to seal the area around the latch.) I applaud folks who find and resolve issues, and share them with the rest of us. Yes, it would be nice should BRP address the issues, but I am neither going to stop riding or hold my breath, waiting for them to do so . . . That's my humble opinion.

ARtraveler
08-26-2013, 02:18 PM
The operative word here is should. Yes, I agree, BRP should resolve the issue. In the meantime should I stop riding while I await their solution? I think not. I found a very uncomfortable problem (a tremendous amount of heat shooting through the space around the seat lock on my 2013 RT Limited) and mitigated it (by using aluminum duct tape to seal the area around the latch.) I applaud folks who find and resolve issues, and share them with the rest of us. Yes, it would be nice should BRP address the issues, but I am neither going to stop riding or hold my breath, waiting for them to do so . . . That's my humble opinion.

You are right for sure. The operative word is should. Were I the owner of one of the "hot" 2013's, I would be expecting the dealer or BRP to take care of it. I am not mechanical, so would not be tearing the machine apart and sticking heat repeling band aids all over the place. I would not want to be accused by BRP of doing anything to cause any further problems.

What would I do? I would probably sell the 2013 and go with a different model year that I was sure of. I have owned one of every year through 2011 since they came out. I would not have a problem with a 2012 either. There, I said it publicly. No 2013 for me. The jury is still out about 2014. Guess BRP will not be calling me to be a product ambassador any time soon. :roflblack: