PDA

View Full Version : Beware Big Bike trunk rack

prin
08-21-2013, 08:20 AM
After waiting since May to get this trunk rack it finally arrived. However, what I found out was that if you have the third brake light installed in the slot near the top of you trunk lid, it will not fit. A single bar on the rack hits the light and hold the rack up about 1/2 inch from being able to attach to the trunk lid. It really is a nice rack at a good price, but it won't work if you have light installed. I am considering cutting out that small section of rack so it will fit. I don't think it would affect the strenght of the rack at all. How can I make it look right at the ends where I cut it out? I also considered raising the legs a bit, but decided that would weaken the rack and not let the legs line up at the correct angle. Anyone else discover this? I wish I had known four months ago about this. Nice rack, but I really want to have that extra tail light. Any thoughts or ideas? This rack says it was specifically for a Spyder RT.

Prin

quickster47
08-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Yes it is specifically for the RT but that RT is an unmodified RT. If the HMT was from the factory then they would have made the rack just a little different.

If you contact them they might be open to changing the design or asking the original supplier to modify the rack.

Good luck.

Carl

Bob Denman
08-21-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you've been caught in that unending conundrum; getting the aftermarket parts to play nicely together! :gaah:
The rack is designed for the RT; but it's always up to the buyer to find out about possible issues once they've modified their bike...
...and the brakelight is a modification.
You could plug and paint the open ends where you remove it...
But I fear that cutting that bar out of the way would destroy the plating on the rack... :shocked:

mcaccamise
08-21-2013, 08:38 AM
If it was me i would maybe put a bend in the bar to clear the light without having to cut it, The end result after cutting wont be good bend and shim the rear two legs for extra clearence we have the power to make farkles work :thumbup:
Mike

OldCowboy
08-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks for this post. I was thinking about getting one of these, but like you, I have a third brake light on the trunk. Looks like I'll have to choose another rack.

CurtG
08-21-2013, 03:45 PM
There are racks that mount more or less parallel to the ground so the HMT can be seen. Any rack that follows the contour of the trunk lid is going to hide the light not mater whether it will fit or not.

Ride safe,

Bob Denman
08-21-2013, 04:40 PM
I think that there are other ways to mount a brakelight up there, and not have the rack interfere...
Didn't Finless mount two long LED strips across that area, and create his own?
Bob??

prin
08-21-2013, 09:43 PM
The third brake light is an expensive mod, but it is also a safety mod. It is staying put. The rack needs only a slight modification to fit with the light. The light would be visible with nothing on the rack. With something on the rack, I don't know. It would definitely be blocked some. Since I will not have the baggage on the rack that often I am willing to work with it. Quite frankly, I have not been that impressed with any of the "raised" racks that I have seen. They seem small and not very sturdy. Someone could really make a bundle if they would step up and do some mods like this for the spyder. It may seem like a lot of mods available, but compared to other traditional motorcycles I notice a lack of items for the spyder, and they are definitely more costly. I am looking for input on ideas to modify the rack, not remove the light. I know there are some very creative minds on this forum and I want to tap their ideas. I don't think Big Bike thought this through very well, the spot for the light was very obvious, and it would not take much effort to see what mods people were getting. Any creative ideas?

Thanks.

Cruzr Joe
08-21-2013, 09:49 PM
I have TricLed's 3rd and 4th LED Brake lights and they are not affected by any type of rack, i knew the high brake light would be a problem with a rack so i went with TricLed's lights

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SNOOPY
08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Should have bought a ST. :joke:

stevedfive
08-21-2013, 11:49 PM
This should work with HMT light.

http://store.valueaccessories.net/TrunkRackDeflectorSpyderRT.aspx