PDA

View Full Version : Front End Noise

thrinsag
08-20-2013, 12:17 PM
2013 ST-SE5. 200o miles. Front end noise has a squeaking, or cricket chirping noise in left front. I live pretty far away from the dealer and if there is something I could do at home, it would save a lot of time and grief. However, I do not want to keep driving and tear something up real bad. Any ideas. It started as soon as I got home with it but I thought it might be a wearing-in issue of something. Nope. I am not that mechanically gifted so I thought I would run it by the forum. For me, it could be any of the hundreds of moving parts, bearings, shocks, belt, sprocket, brakes, etc. By the way, it seems to start after 15 to 20 miles of riding. I could be wrong though. It is hard to hear with my helmet on so maybe it just gets louder after 15-20 miles. Anyone have this experience and what did you do about it?:banghead: Any old help will do. It just may best to take it to the dealer and let him fix it anyway

Bob Denman
08-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Your front rotors are cross-drilled. (They've got holes in them :shocked:)
It just might be the sound of the pads as they pass over those holes...
you described a "Squeaking" or "chirping"; I've got to admit that those sounds might not be it; but having not heard what your bike is doing... :dontknow:
Can you jack up the front end and spin that wheel? Is it a high speed only noise, or is it complaining at slow speeds also?

thrinsag
08-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Hey Bob. I really appreciate your answering me. I don't have a way to jack it up till maybe this weekend. I am going to buy a floor jack. Other than that, I can say that it is hard to detect a whole lot because of the helmet is mufflering (is that a word?) the noise. I know it is quite noticeable when in lower speeds up to maybe 20-30 mph, but then it just may be that the sound is not drowned out as much, and for all I know, it could be really ripping at high speeds. I am going to get some belt dressing first and see if that cures it and if so, I will have to take it back to the dealer for a adjustment of the belt. I thought in the beginning that it may be the brakes, but then what do I know?

NancysToy
08-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Hey Bob. I really appreciate your answering me. I don't have a way to jack it up till maybe this weekend. I am going to buy a floor jack. Other than that, I can say that it is hard to detect a whole lot because of the helmet is mufflering (is that a word?) the noise. I know it is quite noticeable when in lower speeds up to maybe 20-30 mph, but then it just may be that the sound is not drowned out as much, and for all I know, it could be really ripping at high speeds. I am going to get some belt dressing first and see if that cures it and if so, I will have to take it back to the dealer for a adjustment of the belt. I thought in the beginning that it may be the brakes, but then what do I know?

If it is belt noise, belt dressing is the wrong approach. It may even make the situation worse. BRP has a service bulletin regarding belt squeal. It prescribes several tiny dabs of synthetic grease (compatible with the belt material) place on each side of the belt at equal intervals. Best to approach your dealer about the noise and get him to address it or explain it.

Bob Denman
08-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Take a look at post number 10... :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39257-Screeching-noise-2011-RT-Limited&highlight=greasing+belt

thrinsag
08-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Hey Bob! Thanks for posting that site. I think that must be what is going on after reading the post and responses. I think I am just going to take it in on my 4,600 check and let the dealer deal with it. I did ride it without a helmet on a lonely backroad that has very little traffic. I did not hear it when everything was cold (brakes, belt, motor, etc.). There was one idea that caught my attention in the post you advised to look at (#10) and that was about a wobbly belt. I will have that checked also. Thanks e'body. 'preciate it. By the way, your picture sure looks familiar. Even been on TV?

Bob Denman
08-21-2013, 12:18 PM
:thumbup:

quickster47
08-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Pretty sure it is the drive belt. My 2012 RT Limited does it every so often and when my wife brings it to my attention I use a little cleaner recommended by my BRP certified tech. The fix takes care of it for about 2000 - 3000 miles.

Carl