PDA

View Full Version : 2009 GS SE5 Starting Problem

Jsoles
08-19-2013, 10:42 PM
My SE5 will not start. I bought a trickle charger with a readout and know my battery is good, when I hit the M button on the handlebar, foot on the brake and hit the start button, it just clicks, clicks and clicks while the dash meters and readout go crazy!!
Anyone had this problem? I am still very new to Spyders and am not sure what to do.

Thanks

Chupaca
08-20-2013, 12:23 AM
I would try jumping it. If it discharged to a point the tender or small trickle will not bring it back. If you have a larger charger it will help. Check all cables to ground and power (positive) including at the battery. Good luck..!! :thumbup:

NancysToy
08-20-2013, 07:10 AM
No matter what your charger says, your battery doesn't sound like it is charged...or can deliver a charge. Did you check again after you tried to start? A battery that has lost it's ability to deliver a charge will show OK on the charger but the voltage will drop too low as soon as you start to crank. A load test will show the bad battery. A jump start should prove the case...or a battery load test by the dealer (or Walmart/AutoZone). While you are at the store, pick up a multimeter. Very useful tool in situations like this.

Web Runner
08-20-2013, 09:26 AM
No matter what your charger says, your battery doesn't sound like it is charged...or can deliver a charge. Did you check again after you tried to start? A battery that has lost it's ability to deliver a charge will show OK on the charger but the voltage will drop too low as soon as you start to crank. A load test will show the bad battery. A jump start should prove the case...or a battery load test by the dealer (or Walmart/AutoZone). While you are at the store, pick up a multimeter. Very useful tool in situations like this.

So is there a particular brand of battery that you would recommend? What about these new Lithium Ion batteries vs sealed lead-acid?

NancysToy
08-20-2013, 10:24 AM
So is there a particular brand of battery that you would recommend? What about these new Lithium Ion batteries vs sealed lead-acid?
The lithium batteries have not had good reports here when used in Spyders...results were mixed. I'd stick with tried and true. I am not one to worry much about brands, as long as they are of reasonable quality. JMHO

Bob Denman
08-20-2013, 06:18 PM
The battery in your 2009; do you know if it's the original?
If it is; it's done a pretty good job, but I suspect that it's time for retirement...
If your bike went that long on the oEM; I would also suggest staying with what works! :thumbup: