PDA

View Full Version : K&N Air Filter - WOW...hang on!

1BlackWidow
06-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Hi guys, and gals!
I just got my K&N air filter (ordered on ebay) and installed it on my Spyder yesterday. The filter was about $65.00 delivered, and man was it worth the money.
I can not believe how much more power i have with my bike now. I already had the Hindle exhaust installed, so now i have matched the air flow going in as well as coming out. I chirps the tire just starting off from a stop and when you get on it, it feels as though you almost get the front tires off the ground (you can see the front suspension lifting)...it is truly amazing! I would have never believed that these simple mods would have produced such fantastic results!!!!!
So, to anyone who wants to add....hmmm. probably about 10hp (?) for very little investment, these mods come highly highly recommended.
And for those mechanically inclined out there...no, i didnt change the 02 sensor either, and it STILL is crazy fast.

K&N claims that they have not yet made an air filter for the Spyder if you come out and ask them, however, someone on eBay has measured the filter and come up with a perfect fit. So, dont try getting it from K&N at this point.

Also, the "only" downside to the whole experience was trying to get the filter installed...this was a nightmare. I could NOT get the top of the filter cover off the bike. i had to lift up on one side and slide the filter into the box and then close it...it didnt seem to want to clear the parts inside the lower part of the box when trying to slide it out from the side....but its obviously done.

Good luck folks,,,,,you will not be dissapointed!

pphantom538
06-28-2008, 01:25 PM
nice post

Roaddog2
06-29-2008, 05:50 AM
will take a Gander on Ebay ;D

Sopher
06-29-2008, 09:56 AM
What model air filter fits the Spyder?

ataDude
06-29-2008, 10:53 AM
will take a Gander on Ebay ;D

Here're a couple for you...
http://www.wilki.co.uk/images/gander.jpg

;D ;D ;D

swrafey2000
06-29-2008, 01:11 PM
I put the K@N in mine and haven't had a problem with the seal.Got mine from Pep Boy's for $37.99 without tax.Their computer had a listing for it by make and model.It takes 3to 5 business day's to get it.Any auto parts place can get it for under $40 without tax.

swrafey2000
06-29-2008, 01:20 PM
I put the K@N in mine and haven't had a problem with the seal.Got mine from Pep Boy's for $37.99 without tax.Their computer had a listing for it by make and model.It takes 3to 5 business day's to get it.Any auto parts place can get it for under $40 without tax.

rupbre
06-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Has anyone used Kens filter? Wonder how it compares to K&N's.

bjt
06-29-2008, 08:31 PM
I have Ken's air filter but I don't have nor have I seen the K&N filter so I can't say how they compare. I have been happy with Ken's filter but I can't say that it increased my horsepower or anything like that.

ld271
06-29-2008, 10:38 PM
whats the part number for that k&n for spyder ????? please

1BlackWidow
06-30-2008, 08:34 AM
not sure of the model #...didnt have it on the packaged that the filter came in...sorry.
Ken - i didnt buy yours because i didnt realize that you had one...shoulda checked your site first. and yes, i did notice that it didnt seal the same as the one that came out...hopefully that will not be a problem down the road.

Spydyr
07-06-2008, 10:19 AM
K&N part# is 33-2006. I purchased mine from AdvanceAutoParts.com for $29.99. This isn't listed for the spyder. It was originally produced to fit Chrysler vehicles but it is identical to the spyders. I've got pics but can't figure how to attach them.

Babymoose
07-06-2008, 01:29 PM
It could be a long term problem. The dust etc that gets by the filter can could problems to your fuel injection, cylinder walls. I would expect overtime you will lose some compression and power and fuel economy. The seal is very important. IMHO

Questions
11-19-2008, 03:47 AM
What model air filter fits the Spyder?
I wish to buy the kurian grips& throttle boss-hard to fit?they look great

effgjamis
11-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Here're a couple for you...
http://www.wilki.co.uk/images/gander.jpg

;D ;D ;D

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, it must be a duck, or goose..

sabunim5
11-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't get it. Why is everyone so hot to put in a K&N filter that wasn't made for the Spyder, requires oiling and does not fit well? One of the best engine builders there is, makes a permanent filter that does not require oiling and was made just for the Spyder. I plan to buy one as soon as my stock filter needs replacement. Seems like a no-brainer to me :dontknow: Please enlighten me. Sometimes I'm a little slow. nojoke Ryde Safe and Enjoy :thumbup:
sabunim5:spyder:

DragonSpyder
11-19-2008, 02:21 PM
I removed the airbox and went with the "Race Airflow System". If your looking for power increase this is the route to go. The airbox is very restrictive and takes up alot of room in the engine compartment. With this setup it runs cooler, faster, with amazing throttle response in comparison with stock. It is recommended to use the fuel pressure modifier and o2 modifier but neither are necessary.

Greg H.
11-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Could you please tell me where to buy the Race airflow system?

How much it is, and how hard is it to install?

One last thing... I just got the Hindle exhaust and will this work well with it?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Yes! What is this "Race Airflow System"?

bjt
11-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Go to Evoluzione (http://www.evoluzione.net) to see the Race Airflow system. He builds performance parts for a few models of sportbikes, including Aprilia powered by Rotax, so he has some experience in these engines. Also, he owns a Spyder or two so he can build and test products right on his own machines.

Spydyr
11-19-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't get it. Why is everyone so hot to put in a K&N filter that wasn't made for the Spyder, requires oiling and does not fit well? One of the best engine builders there is, makes a permanent filter that does not require oiling and was made just for the Spyder. I plan to buy one as soon as my stock filter needs replacement. Seems like a no-brainer to me :dontknow: Please enlighten me. Sometimes I'm a little slow. nojoke Ryde Safe and Enjoy :thumbup:
sabunim5:spyder:
I chose the K&N for many reasons. I've used them for years in off-road vehicles that sucked in more than just dirt. They've seen mud and water, took the abuse, and after washing and oiling they we're like new and the engines lasted as well. Another reason has been a noticeable increase in performance and this stands true for the spyder. I could tell the difference when I first installed it but now I'm used to it. As far as oiling goes, it only takes a few seconds and really isn't worth mentioning. The worst part is cleaning and letting it dry and you have to do that with any reusable filter. No, it's NOT identical to the stock filter and if it was their would be no point in changing filters, but it is the same size and is a direct replacement for Purolater A13192. I haven't had any problems with any of my K&N's and the price was right. It seemed like a no brainer to me also.
So far, changing my exhaust has been my best mod.
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc328/buckylaine/DCP_1176.jpg
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc328/buckylaine/DCP_1178.jpg

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc328/buckylaine/DCP_1173.jpg
http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc328/buckylaine/DCP_1172.jpg

sabunim5
11-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for posting Spydyr

LDFIREWORKS
11-24-2008, 11:23 PM
COULD YOU SEND THE PART # AND EXPLAIN THE PROCESS OF INSTALING IT THANKS ALOT