PDA

View Full Version : Lugging? Maybe?

Sandysandals
08-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Good Morning. I have 2013 RT Limited with about 3K miles on it. Taking it in this week for an oil change and to 'chat' with the mechanic. Yesterday, I rode about 50 miles on I95 really truckin' I watched my RPMs....as always, but I noticed something that didn't quite feel right. Around 77mph and around 5700 RPMs, in 5th gear of course...it felt like it was lugging and wanted another gear. The rough lugging feel would come and go, and I would feel it on acceleration, then it would smooth out. Is this normal? I did have it up to about 97 at one point (my life did not flash before my eyes, but the size of the speeding ticket DID, so I backed off)....and it did this all the way up. Also, I am only getting between 23 and 26mpg on this thing. Since I'm pretty much clueless....what should I be asking, and HEARING from the mechanic at the dealer when I take it in? Appreciate any help. :helpsmilie:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-19-2013, 10:33 AM
First off ..." you go girl " :yes::clap:.....Now in my experience with Spyder I do not believe you are " LUGGING " the engine. You are actually in the SWEET SPOT of the powerband in my opinion. ( right on ) .......This feeling could ...repeat could be caused by ...BELT SLAP.....Have you checked the tension of the belt recently.. It should be approx. 145 lbs. using a "KRIKIT" TENSION MEASURING DEVICE ( do a search if you don't know what this is ,,,about $17 )....You may have the belt too loose ????Also at certain RPM's there is a HARMONIC VIBRATION that I think all Spyders have and may not have a cure......Good Luck ...Mike ...:thumbup:

Chupaca
08-19-2013, 10:39 AM
your mileage will vary and improve with time. To get a good measurement set your trip meter to 0 fill up and ryde till the light indicates fuel low. Fill up as close to the last fill as possible and divide the miles on the trip meter by the gallons put in. As for lugging..if it clears up went you speed up or slow down a bit it is probably harmonics. You can have the belt tension checked at your dealer. At that speed and rpm's you are not lugging but the vibration make it feel that way. Just 3 more miles for the 100 miles per club...careful...:roflblack:

Sandysandals
08-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks....that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you and I will be doing some research. I didn't know how to describe the feel except that it kinda feels like lugging....so now I have a place to start. :dg1:

Sandysandals
08-19-2013, 10:51 AM
your mileage will vary and improve with time. To get a good measurement set your trip meter to 0 fill up and ryde till the light indicates fuel low.l...:roflblack:

Thanks...that's what I do. Yesterday was the WORST gas mileage...but I know it was because I was 'flyin' on the interstate. My last bike was a little Suzuki Boulevard (805) and I loved it. But around 75mph, it would begin to feel unstable......not the Spydee. It feels solid, even passing 18 wheelers. No sway or 'buffeting' at all. Now it won't be.....can I keep up with the big boys..............it will be CAN THEY KEEP UP WITH ME? LOL

Magdave
08-19-2013, 10:53 AM
I too am only getting 26.5 on my best long ride at 60mph. I sure hope it gets better. I have 1k on it. Maybe it is something changed in the 2013 fuel mapping? You may have a belt vibration not uncommon I get one at 63mph but it goes away above and below that speed.

Sandysandals
08-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Just 3 more miles for the 100 miles per club...careful...:roflblack:

Heck....if I'd known there was a club....I would have scooted on up to 100. :firstplace:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks...that's what I do. Yesterday was the WORST gas mileage...but I know it was because I was 'flyin' on the interstate. My last bike was a little Suzuki Boulevard (805) and I loved it. But around 75mph, it would begin to feel unstable......not the Spydee. It feels solid, even passing 18 wheelers. No sway or 'buffeting' at all. Now it won't be.....can I keep up with the big boys..............it will be CAN THEY KEEP UP WITH ME? LOL

For a small investment ( $ 200 ? ) you could get a BAJARON sway bar for the RT that will do wonders for the handling without compromising the RIDE .....Do a search for additional info and testimonials.....Mike :thumbup:

MouthPiece
08-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Sandy, I have a 2013 RT-S (semi auto) and I get just about 4 mpg less than my 2010 RT-S (manual) did. Right now I'm getting in the range of 26 mpg around town and 29 super slab. I run from Sanford to Deland on I-4 all the time going to court.

I can't address the lugging issue. Admittedly there is a loss of RPM's when I shift from 4th to 5th at 70 mph, and I guess there is this sensation of loss of power.

Hope this helps.

Chris

SpyderAnn01
08-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Sandy, just ask your mechanic to check the belt tension there is no need for you to buy a Krikit. Like Mouthpiece I was getting less mpg on my 2013 than I did on my 2010.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Sandy, just ask your mechanic to check the belt tension there is no need for you to buy a Krikit. Like Mouthpiece I was getting less mpg on my 2013 than I did on my 2010.

This is absolutely very good advice Sandy........Don't learn how to do " ANYTHING FOR YOURSELF ", JUST ACT LIKE A GIRL, and give the dealer $125 and he will fix it right up.....MAYBE ......you will never know for sure because you won't know how to check it.................SORRY SpyderAnn01, But I have a lot of RESPECT for woman and what they are capable of ( HELLO Karyl, aka Murphy Brown ) ..MAYBE more than you do, and I think an awful lot of Dealers aren't trustworthy ....and they treat woman as if they are STUPID ....I'm just speaking from EXPERIENCE ...........If you have a good one I'm glad ........Mike :thumbup:

Daisyjoe
08-19-2013, 02:44 PM
I have a 2013 RTS SE5 and my gas mileage is around 27 MPG. I am hoping it will get better after the first 5000 miles. Currently have around 3000 miles on the bike. My 2010 RS gets 30 to 33 MPG. I just chalk it up to the nature of the beast. I just want to get rid of the heat problem.

Spyder_Cowgirl
08-19-2013, 02:51 PM
This is absolutely very good advice Sandy........Don't learn how to do " ANYTHING FOR YOURSELF ", JUST ACT LIKE A GIRL, and give the dealer $125 and he will fix it right up.....MAYBE ......you will never know for sure because you won't know how to check it.................SORRY SpyderAnn01, But I have a lot of RESPECT for woman and what they are capable of ( HELLO Karyl, aka Murphy Brown ) ..MAYBE more than you do, and I think an awful lot of Dealers arn't trustworthy ....and they treat woman as if they are STUPID ....I'm just speaking from EXPERIENCE ...........If you have a good one I'm glad ........Mike :thumbup:

Well now, Mike .... you sure don't mince words! :D For myself, I operate on the principal of "trust but verify" ... ie. I would like to trust that my local dealer is doing everything correctly but there are some things that I check for myself -- belt tension is one of them, oil, radiator level / cap, and panel attachment are others.

Sandy, Mike's recommendation to locate / purchase a krikit gauge is a good one (make sure you get the one that is flat; there is another that has a "tooth" on it that prevents it from laying flat on the belt). That way, armed with your krikit reading (about 145 as Mike said), you can talk sensibly to your dealer about the vibration you are feeling and that you are concerned about belt tension. :chat:

Whatever you do, however, DO NOT let your dealer get away with treating you any differently than their male customers -- Mike is correct, even in this day and age there is still WAY TO MUCH of this stupidity floating around. :gaah:

Best Regards .... Ann

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Well now, Mike .... you sure don't mince words! :D For myself, I operate on the principal of "trust but verify" ... ie. I would like to trust that my local dealer is doing everything correctly but there are some things that I check for myself -- belt tension is one of them, oil, radiator level / cap, and panel attachment are others.

Sandy, Mike's recommendation to locate / purchase a krikit gauge is a good one (make sure you get the one that is flat; there is another that has a "tooth" on it that prevents it from laying flat on the belt). That way, armed with your krikit reading (about 145 as Mike said), you can talk sensibly to your dealer about the vibration you are feeling and that you are concerned about belt tension. :chat:

Whatever you do, however, DO NOT let your dealer get away with treating you any differently than their male customers -- Mike is correct, even in this day and age there is still WAY TO MUCH of this stupidity floating around. :gaah:

Best Regards .... Ann Thanks Ann for watching my back :roflblack:...And NO I don't mince words ,never have, never will. I have the utmost respect for woman and I think they get treated SHABBILY ( IS THAT EVEN A WORD ? ) AND IT'S a DIS-GRACE ......There is absolutely NO reason why a woman can't work on her Spyder if she wants to and feels comfortable.....We here at Spyderlovers are a FANTASTIC resource for the NEWBIE and even Seasoned Owners. If I think I can help someone I do it....I was an LEO for 37 years and that's what I did then and that's what I still do.....I certainly DON'T have all the answers to ALL the problems ,but the ones I feel safe with I try to advise wisely............OK enough of the SOAP-BOX....and Sandy don't be afraid to try there are so very many people here who will WATCH YOUR BACK .......:agree:....Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Mike calls it just like he sees it; in captial letters, and high volume! :shocked: :D :thumbup:
But we also never have to ask him what he REALLY thinks about something... :2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
08-19-2013, 05:48 PM
This is absolutely very good advice Sandy........Don't learn how to do " ANYTHING FOR YOURSELF ", JUST ACT LIKE A GIRL, and give the dealer $125 and he will fix it right up.....MAYBE ......you will never know for sure because you won't know how to check it.................SORRY SpyderAnn01, But I have a lot of RESPECT for woman and what they are capable of ( HELLO Karyl, aka Murphy Brown ) ..MAYBE more than you do, and I think an awful lot of Dealers aren't trustworthy ....and they treat woman as if they are STUPID ....I'm just speaking from EXPERIENCE ...........If you have a good one I'm glad ........Mike :thumbup:

WOW THAT'S A LOT OF CAPITAL LETTERS. I GUESS YOU MUST BE REALLY PISSED AT ME RIGHT ABOUT NOW. I THINK I WILL HAVE TO MAKE MY FONT IN RED SO YOU KNOW JUST HOW I AM FEELING. :mad:

I BOUGHT A KRIKIT AND IT WAS A PIECE OF CRAP SO THAT IS WHY I SUGGESTED THAT SHE HAVE HER DEALER CHECK IT. DIDN'T SEEM LIKE SHE IS A TECHNICAL PERSON AND SHE HAS AN APPOINTMENT TO TAKER HER SPYDER IN SO SHE COULD HAVE THEM SHOW HER HOW TO CHECK IT.

I DON'T LET PEOPLE WALK ALL OVER ME AND I EXPECT THAT MOST WOMEN DON'T EITHER. IS THAT HOW YOU TYPICALLY ASSUME THAT WOMEN SHOULD BE TREATED? LIKE WE ARE STUPID? :lecturef_smilie:

Oldmanzues
08-19-2013, 06:02 PM
I think/know it is time to dump ICE WATER on this whole mess.
Let just treat people as poeple, who ever they are.
Oldmanzues

SpyderAnn01
08-19-2013, 06:08 PM
I think/know it is time to dump ICE WATER on this whole mess.
Let just treat people as poeple, who ever they are.
Oldmanzues

I agree and what really made me mad is that I'm the last person in the world who would think that a woman couldn't do something that a man could. Except maybe pee standing up, that is messy. I'm done with this.

Firefly
08-19-2013, 06:14 PM
It's always good to have a dealer properly set your belt tension and THEN use a Krickett type device to measure it.
Throwing out a number of '145 lbs' does nothing if you don't explain how to do the reading. Is that 145 lbs jacked up? On the ground? Fully loaded? Where in the belt are you reading? The top? The bottom? Near the rear? In the middle?
Then there's the issue of adjustment and how to properly do it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-19-2013, 06:42 PM
WOW THAT'S A LOT OF CAPITAL LETTERS. I GUESS YOU MUST BE REALLY PISSED AT ME RIGHT ABOUT NOW. I THINK I WILL HAVE TO MAKE MY FONT IN RED SO YOU KNOW JUST HOW I AM FEELING. :mad:

I BOUGHT A KRIKIT AND IT WAS A PIECE OF CRAP SO THAT IS WHY I SUGGESTED THAT SHE HAVE HER DEALER CHECK IT. DIDN'T SEEM LIKE SHE IS A TECHNICAL PERSON AND SHE HAS AN APPOINTMENT TO TAKER HER SPYDER IN SO SHE COULD HAVE THEM SHOW HER HOW TO CHECK IT.

I DON'T LET PEOPLE WALK ALL OVER ME AND I EXPECT THAT MOST WOMEN DON'T EITHER. IS THAT HOW YOU TYPICALLY ASSUME THAT WOMEN SHOULD BE TREATED? LIKE WE ARE STUPID? :lecturef_smilie:
for starters I didn't use all capital letters, only used them to emphasize certain things I was saying...( hope you got that Bob) and you are wrong I am not pi**ed at you. I'm sorry about your " krikit" you just don't know how to use it that's all...And why are you denegrating Sandy by ASSUMING she's not smart enough or capable of taking care of her Spyder. I think you are short changing her and treating her as if she were STUPID......and if you really read my entire POST you never would have suggested what you said in your LAST two comments ......Respectfully Michael come to rescue BLUEKNIGHT911.......:thumbup: :shemademe_smilie:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Mike calls it just like he sees it; in captial letters, and high volume! :shocked: :D :thumbup:
But we also never have to ask him what he REALLY thinks about something... :2thumbs:

Bob there is a difference between larger size type and CAPITAL LETTERS.....:gaah::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack :..m

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-19-2013, 06:55 PM
It's always good to have a dealer properly set your belt tension and THEN use a Krickett type device to measure it.
Throwing out a number of '145 lbs' does nothing if you don't explain how to do the reading. Is that 145 lbs jacked up? On the ground? Fully loaded? Where in the belt are you reading? The top? The bottom? Near the rear? In the middle?
Then there's the issue of adjustment and how to properly do it.

ok firefly go back and read my post.....I told her to use the " SEARCH " function for additional info......or she could have asked if she was interested in knowing .Mike

SpyderAnn01
08-19-2013, 06:58 PM
for starters I didn't use all capital letters, only used them to emphasize certain things I was saying...( hope you got that Bob) and you are wrong I am not pi**ed at you. I'm sorry about your " krikit" you just don't know how to use it that's all...And why are you denegrating Sandy by ASSUMING she's not smart enough or capable of taking care of her Spyder. I think you are short changing her and treating her as if she were STUPID......and if you really read my entire POST you never would have suggested what you said in your LAST two comments ......Respectfully Michael come to rescue BLUEKNIGHT911.......:thumbup: :shemademe_smilie:

I did not denigrate Sandy or assume that she is not smart enough or capable of taking care of her Spyder. But to quote her "Since I'm pretty much clueless....what should I be asking, and HEARING from the mechanic at the dealer when I take it in?" And my answer was that she should have her mechanic check the belt tension.

I would have missed your post but another spyderlover who you have also publicly pissed off in the past sent me a message. To him I say thank you and I totally agree!

Illinois Boy
08-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Well now... wasn't this thread a pleasant exchange of words for all to see.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-19-2013, 07:17 PM
I did not denigrate Sandy or assume that she is not smart enough or capable of taking care of her Spyder. But to quote her "Since I'm pretty much clueless....what should I be asking, and HEARING from the mechanic at the dealer when I take it in?" And my answer was that she should have her mechanic check the belt tension.

I would have missed your post but another spyderlover who you have also publicly pissed off in the past sent me a message. To him I say thank you and I totally agree! .................................................. ...................See below :

Well at least NO ONE will say I'm SEXIST now will they:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:.....M

SpyderAnn01
08-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Well at least NO ONE will say I'm SEXIST now will they:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:.....M

I have decided that I will no longer respond to you (after this). Instead I will do what I usually do and that is type a reply then hit the back arrow and leave the page.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-19-2013, 07:37 PM
I have decided that I will no longer respond to you (after this). Instead I will do what I usually do and that is type a reply then hit the back arrow and leave the page.

Dear : Girl / Woman / Female , take your pick. I'm just having FUN with you ...Hence the Icons :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:.....I never meant to offend you and if I did, I apologize......Really...........Sincerly Michael

spydercatjohn
08-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Good Morning. I have 2013 RT Limited with about 3K miles on it. Taking it in this week for an oil change and to 'chat' with the mechanic. Yesterday, I rode about 50 miles on I95 really truckin' I watched my RPMs....as always, but I noticed something that didn't quite feel right. Around 77mph and around 5700 RPMs, in 5th gear of course...it felt like it was lugging and wanted another gear. The rough lugging feel would come and go, and I would feel it on acceleration, then it would smooth out. Is this normal? I did have it up to about 97 at one point (my life did not flash before my eyes, but the size of the speeding ticket DID, so I backed off)....and it did this all the way up. Also, I am only getting between 23 and 26mpg on this thing. Since I'm pretty much clueless....what should I be asking, and HEARING from the mechanic at the dealer when I take it in? Appreciate any help. :helpsmilie:

If the engine felt like it was looking for another gear to prevent lugging it would be 4th gear. I think you are on the borderline between switching up to 5th gear. I get 30 mpg but rarely go over 55 mph since I try to avoid freeways.

rock
08-19-2013, 08:43 PM
dont get to excited about your fuel mileage...it will get better...ours started at 26 mpg till about 7,000 it went up to 29-30 then about 22,000 it went to 32 mpg and now have 27,000 miles on it and we are getting a constant 35 mpg... when i read the other posts about mileage, i believe we are getting better than average...mpg would not change my opimion about this amazing machine, we just put our first tire on it since it was new and am happy with our choice (kumho asta) 26k on the stock tire and hope for more on this car tire...good luck these bikes are very addictive ...

FLAlaserman
08-20-2013, 12:33 PM

Sandy it sounds like you need a laser alignment...check out this e mail I recv:

Mike and Krystal,
Just wanted to follow up and let you know what happened after you aligned my Spyder. Subjectively the machine felt:
· Smoother
· The steering felt…more responsive. It did not “dart” or “hunt” but it was much quicker when turning-(me like lots)
· Seems to take longer to drift to a stop. Ex: when pulling up to a tollbooth that I have to stop at normally, I have certain landmarks that I use to remind myself to pull in the clutch, downshift, etc. so that the motion is smooth and quick and I get in and out of the booth quickly. After the alignment, I subconsciously did all of these things at a familiar tollbooth and found myself rolling up to the change chute rather more quickly than I expected.
· I was able to get to a top speed of 111 mph (previously 107)
Admittedly, all of the above items are subjective and could be psychosomatic in nature, but, after 3 tanks of fuel (I haven’t been driving it much) I noticed a consistent average increase of 3mpg across the board. I now average 26mpg when driving (mostly) in the city. from A.S.

Sandy we are right in your neighborhood...www.spydercomfort.com (http://www.spydercomfort.com) call me .ML

jerpinoy
08-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I belt slapping happened all the time in different speed. You may need to check if a belt tensioner will help.

missouriboy
08-21-2013, 08:15 AM
I agree and what really made me mad is that I'm the last person in the world who would think that a woman couldn't do something that a man could. Except maybe pee standing up, that is messy. I'm done with this.Maybe not so messy... click here. (http://www.stand2pee.com) Might be quite useful for all you Gals On Spyders! :yes:

Sandysandals
08-21-2013, 08:33 AM
:coffee:Thanks for all the posts. I did get a lot from it and will talk to the mechanic today. I don't do much on my bike for myself except check my tire pressure, hook up the Ipod and put gas in it. Why? Not because I can't, I simply don't want to. But thanks for all the input. It's how I learn about things. :dg2:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Maybe not so messy... click here. (http://www.stand2pee.com) Might be quite useful for all you Gals On Spyders! :yes:

OMG...When a certain person see's this ...............well ...........I just don't know how this will turn out :yikes: ?, :lecturef_smilie: ?, :gaah: ?, :hun: ?, :clap: ?,...the possibilities are numerous :thumbup:....Mike :banghead:

Sandysandals
08-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Sandy it sounds like you need a laser alignment...check out this e mail I recv:

Sandy we are right in your neighborhood...www.spydercomfort.com (http://www.spydercomfort.com) call me .ML

You have email. :ani29:

Sandysandals
08-21-2013, 09:16 AM
If the engine felt like it was looking for another gear to prevent lugging it would be 4th gear. I think you are on the borderline between switching up to 5th gear. I get 30 mpg but rarely go over 55 mph since I try to avoid freeways.

I was in 5th gear no doubt. I didn't know any other way to describe the feel or sound.....I knew it wasn't really 'lugging' but it just felt like it. I'm going to get the belt checked today...if the rain will stop :)

Bob Ledford
08-21-2013, 10:30 AM
I have known " Sandysandals" since the day after she got her RT. Which she got one fantastic deal on.

SS all I have to offer is that Mike Loescher at www.spydercomfort.com is a really cool guy. He checked my RTL out and found nothing wrong. If Mike has not put up house numbers or.p sign yet he is a little hard to find but he can be found.

Reference mileage it is an up and down thing. Do not get it wrapped up to tight in your mind. There are so many variables to contend with.

Roxie at Daytona Fun Machine will take good care of your needs.

When it quits raining so much and cools off some we need to get together for a ride!

Sandysandals
08-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Nothing to say....just seeing if my signature picture is working. :)