PDA

View Full Version : ST Mirrors

quickster47
08-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Anyone have any instructions or videos on removing the ST mirrors? I have most of the tupperware on our ST-S off but am stuck on the mirrors and the top piece of tupperware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carl

AWEInCA
08-18-2013, 07:57 PM
:popcorn: oooo me too. Good question!

billybovine
08-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Here is what the service manual says.

billybovine
08-18-2013, 08:37 PM

Sny
08-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Somewhere between steps 4b and 7a you have to sacrifice a live chicken while standing on your head and reciting the lyrics to yellow submarine in iambic pentameter. :(

This is why techs have to go to school for these. So they can figure out how to remove a mirror. :bowdown:

quickster47
08-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Had this info for a week or so but forgot to post it.

When you get ready to remove the ST-S mirrors there is a discrepancy in the manual. The mirrors remove very similar to the RT mirrors once you get all the trim work out of the way.

You can see in my two pictures how the mirrors attach to the main body with the same ball type fasteners.

Carl

nhoj
10-01-2013, 09:29 PM
The mirrors remove very similar to the RT mirrors..

Thank you for the PICS. I tried using the RT method but to no avail. They have to be bumped towards the rear, how hard a bump? Mine would not budge.

And I thought removing the mirros on the RT was tough !!

John

SNOOPY
10-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Are they slotted in, or do they snap in?

Doug
10-02-2013, 05:35 AM
Anyone have any instructions or videos on removing the ST mirrors? I have most of the tupperware on our ST-S off but am stuck on the mirrors and the top piece of tupperware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carl

How did you get the panel off that houses the Radiator fan

quickster47
10-02-2013, 08:22 AM
How did you get the panel off that houses the Radiator fan

Just had to remove the proper fasteners and be very careful about everything.

Carl

quickster47
10-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Thank you for the PICS. I tried using the RT method but to no avail. They have to be bumped towards the rear, how hard a bump? Mine would not budge.

And I thought removing the mirros on the RT was tough !!

John

Hey John,

If I remember correctly it was a more significant 'bump' than what the RT required. In fact it might have been a danged good 'whack'.

I thought at first I had busted something but then realized it was just the mirror housing coming free.

I need to do this again soon so I will try and make myself take better notes.

Carl

billybovine
10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
I took the left mirror off yesterday. What a pain in the butt. It really isn't that bad except the service manual instructions are just plain wrong.

The first step of removing the 2 allen head screws in the deflector. Remove deflector.
Remove the bottom plastic cover.
Remove the torx screw holding the top plastic cover and remove the cover.
Next service manual instructions is to disconnect the signal light wire. That is wrong that is 2 steps too early and can't be done yet.
The service manual says to push the mirror rearward well that's wrong. You need to lift the outside of the mirror to release the bottom 2 pins from the spring loaded snaps.
When the bottom 2 pins are free lift the whole mirror assembly up to release the top pin.
After mirror assembly is loose disconnect the signal light wire.
Remove the base mounting plate by removing the 4 allen head screws.

quickster47
10-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Sort of makes you wonder who in the heck wrote the service/user manual for the ST.

Carl

nhoj
10-13-2013, 08:40 PM
I took the left mirror off yesterday. What a pain in the butt. It really isn't that bad except the service manual instructions are just plain wrong.

The first step of removing the 2 allen head screws in the deflector. Remove deflector.
Remove the bottom plastic cover.
Remove the torx screw holding the top plastic cover and remove the cover.
Next service manual instructions is to disconnect the signal light wire. That is wrong that is 2 steps too early and can't be done yet.
The service manual says to push the mirror rearward well that's wrong. You need to lift the outside of the mirror to release the bottom 2 pins from the spring loaded snaps.
When the bottom 2 pins are free lift the whole mirror assembly up to release the top pin.
After mirror assembly is loose disconnect the signal light wire.
Remove the base mounting plate by removing the 4 allen head screws.

Yup the manual is way wrong.
After you remove the deflector, the bottom and top covers... give the mirror a sharp rap straight up. Hit it from the bottom about 2-3 inches out to get some leverage. It will 'bust' loose the two bottom pins from the wire spring type sockets. It will indeed sound like its broken. Then nudge it up a bit more to release the top pin.

When you replace it, slide the top down into the 'V' shaped slot then a firm press in on the bottom will snap the two bottom pins into the spring sockets.

I put anti-seize on the two spring sockets (a tip from Spyderpops - Harvey) which helps them slide in and seems to make removal a bit easier. Did this on the RT mirrors and it made their removal much smoother.

John

Craniac
02-22-2014, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the help. Yes, it just pops straight up. Couldn't have done it without this thread.