PDA

View Full Version : twist throttle vs thumb throttle

AWEInCA
08-18-2013, 01:25 AM
I was reading dadof4 thread "Accident"
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?56747-Accident

I have always wondered why ATVs used thumb throttles until I got my Spyder. Thumb throttles make more sense on direct steering machines. I know I had to get use to turning my Spyder being careful not to twist the throttle.

Regarding the twist throttle, is there a US regulation (or something) Can Am had to follow in order for the Spyder to be street legal in the US?

Just wondering if a thumb throttle would be 'safer'?

Chupaca
08-18-2013, 01:52 AM
lies in the fact that the terrain you travel on an atv is hard bumps, hills, rocks, etc. In those situations a twist throttle is hazardous to your well being, you really need to have a solid grip. On the street the situation is different the roads are smooth and turns are mostly gradual. There are no laws (that I know of) as to how you operate the throttle. I put twist throttles on a lot of atv, and took many off. One thing I know is thumb throttles are rough on you if your cruising long stretches. My experience, my opinion...:thumbup:

C3517C
08-18-2013, 02:15 AM
lies in the fact that the terrain you travel on an atv is hard bumps, hills, rocks, etc. In those situations a twist throttle is hazardous to your well being, you really need to have a solid grip. On the street the situation is different the roads are smooth and turns are mostly gradual. There are no laws (that I know of) as to how you operate the throttle. I put twist throttles on a lot of atv, and took many off. One thing I know is thumb throttles are rough on you if your cruising long stretches. My experience, my opinion...:thumbup:

You are correct sir, well said. I have 4 ATV's and ride a lot. Its difficult to control a twist throttle on some of the extreme terrain we ride on. Thumb fatigue can be a **** though. Same thing with snowmobiles, to a lesser extent.

Bob Denman
08-18-2013, 05:44 AM
"Thumblock" is no fun at all! :shocked:
But twist throttles on ATVs are also inappropriate.
Each style has it's place, :thumbup:

Spyder4Tess
08-18-2013, 08:33 AM
A friend of mine went to look at a quad to buy from a private seller.
The quad had a twist throttle.When my friend test rode it he made a turn (left?)and the throttle opened up and he ended curbing the quad because of the sudden acceleration!

cuznjohn
08-18-2013, 08:48 AM
i put a hand brake on my rt and i enjoy having it BUT for some strange reason sometimes when i use the hand brake i end up turning the twist throttle. i don't understand why because i have had only bikes with hand brakes and it never happened b4

Flanker
08-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Can't say as I've had any difficulty accurately controlling my Spyders throttle under any conditions. The last ATV I owned was an '87 Suzuki 250 Quadracer. I immediately converted it to a twist throttle; I beat the snot outta it (and myself) on trails, fire roads, and swampy areas. Never had any trouble controlling the throttle on it either. I attended several closed course off road ATV events during that period.....................every competitors machine I examined had been converted to a twist throttle. All motocross bikes have twist throttles.

While there are surely good reasons for having an arthritis inducing, tendon destroying device (aka "thumb throttle") :roflblack: on a motorized machine......................I just can't think of one. ;)

ARCTIC
08-18-2013, 09:12 AM
lies in the fact that the terrain you travel on an atv is hard bumps, hills, rocks, etc. In those situations a twist throttle is hazardous to your well being, you really need to have a solid grip.
That's a great theory unless you consider that dirt bikes have twist throttles.

Pennyrick
08-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Can't say as I've had any difficulty accurately controlling my Spyders throttle under any conditions. The last ATV I owned was an '87 Suzuki 250 Quadracer. I immediately converted it to a twist throttle; I beat the snot outta it (and myself) on trails, fire roads, and swampy areas. Never had any trouble controlling the throttle on it either. I attended several closed course off road ATV events during that period.....................every competitors machine I examined had been converted to a twist throttle. All motocross bikes have twist throttles.

While there are surely good reasons for having an arthritis inducing, tendon destroying device (aka "thumb throttle") :roflblack: on a motorized machine......................I just can't think of one. ;)

I have a Honda Rincon ATV that I use around our property to haul trash, pull logs, drive out for the mail, etc. After a full day of working on the ATV my right thumb is usually numb. I couldn't imagine having a thumb control on my Spyder.

Bob Denman
08-18-2013, 05:45 PM
i put a hand brake on my rt and i enjoy having it BUT for some strange reason sometimes when i use the hand brake i end up turning the twist throttle. i don't understand why because i have had only bikes with hand brakes and it never happened b4

Two-Wheelers don't turn the same way that Trikes do...
If you cut the bars lock-to-lock on a "tipover" at low speed; that's what you'd do (tipover). You're actually turning the bars more, so you're holding them a bit differently...:thumbup:

boborgera
08-18-2013, 06:47 PM
I had a ATC, with a 340 kaw engine and a twist throttle, Way back when 3 wheeler were called All terrain cycles 1980 ish, And i can't tell you how many people when they got into a scary spot and did the death grip on the bars, And then twisted the throttle by mistake ended up into a tree or a ditch...
It got to the point where i wouldn't let any one else ride that death trap..nojoke

Bob Ledford
08-18-2013, 06:47 PM

True statement but dirt bikes only have two wheels. ATVs have three or four wheels.

Dirt bikes have one drive wheel. ATVs have two to four or more drive wheels.

i asked an outdoor hunter type who happens to be a dealer also that very same question and his reply was that the thumb throttle was more stable. By that I took his meaning to mean more control when your buried in rough tough terrain.

Chupaca
08-18-2013, 10:06 PM

but the amount of handle bar twisting is much less than a quad/roadster. You do like most bikes and lean in the corners and doing wheelies with a thumb throttle is really a feat...:dontknow:

Bazil
08-19-2013, 12:13 AM
but the amount of handle bar twisting is much less than a quad/roadster. You do like most bikes and lean in the corners and doing wheelies with a thumb throttle is really a feat...:dontknow:
This is a wrist rest reversed and fitted to the inside of the twistgrip, feels good.74043

TexasTripod
08-21-2013, 09:52 AM
I started racing three-wheelers back in 1982,had a Honda 250R that came with a thumb throttle. After one race I trashed it and went to a twist throttle because of the pain and the pump it caused in my wrist. The 1985 Kawasaki Tecate I bought next came with a twist throttle from the factory as did the 1986 Tecate that I still ride.:ohyea:

Bazeel
08-21-2013, 01:09 PM
I know I had to get use to turning my Spyder being careful not to twist the throttle.

Heh! I typically twist the throttle to power through most turns that would cause me to 'accidentally' increase speed, anyway!