PDA

View Full Version : What do I ask my Spyder dealer to check?

Huddleston
08-17-2013, 05:23 PM
I have a 2013 RTS SE5. I have done the Kewl Metal Air Filter, but use a paper filter instead of the K&N filter. I have done the Cat Bypass, and kept the stock muffler. I have replaced the plugs and wires with BajaRon's plugs and wires. Everything else is stock. The Spyder is now running great. My problems with a rough idle are gone. However, I am still receiving a P1175 code, which indicates a Rich condition on Bank 2 (the back cylinder). The manual says check the fuel pressure regulator. On the phone the Spyder mechanic has told me that it is sensing a lean condition, which causes the computer to provide more fuel, hence the rich code. He thinks I need something like the Juice Box, but everything I read says that as long as I have kept the stock muffler, I should not need it. If my mods are causing the code, I would expect both banks to report the same code, which it is not. I have read all kinds of messages about a bad ECM, an emissions valve leak, purge valve, O2 sensor, etc. I'd like to have a list of things I want the dealer to check when I take it in. Can someone please tell me what to have him check next? I would appreciate all suggestions.

NancysToy
08-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Your problem only affects one cylinder. That most likely points to ignition issues for that cylinder. Most likely is a faulty connection in the new wires, causing excess resistance on that plug wire. Be sure the ends are tightly snapped onto the spark plug and into the coil. It is very easy not to get them plugged in right. A corroded or burned coil connection is also possible. If you had a really bad spark plug or plug wire before, you could even have damaged out one side of the coil. An ECM problem is far less likely...but theoretically possible. A faulty injector is also possible, or a screwed up throttle body. None of these are likely...just possible. valve adjustment discrpancies or burned valves could do it. A faulty O2 sensor could cause the discrepancy, too...or a bad sensor connection...which could cause what your tech described. I'm still putting my money on an ignition problem. Your tech isn't totally wrong, but he is missing the most likely cause...and a few other possibilities as well.

Huddleston
08-18-2013, 10:41 AM
I don't know what did it, but it is gone. The code existed before I added BajaRon's spark plugs and wires. I had taken a 25 mile run after installing them and the code did not go away, but the Spyder was running much smoother. Today we rode about 100 miles, but when I filled up (with 93 Oct. no ethanol gas) plus added two ounces of Power Fluids PF Gas Treatment ( http://powerfluidsinc.com/Product_PF-Gas.html ). Whatever did it, the code is gone. :yes:

NancysToy
08-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Glad to hear it. Hope it is vanquised forever. Your O2 sensor or exhaust pipe might have become contaminated and now it is burned clean.

Huddleston
08-21-2013, 09:23 PM
It's baaack. P1175 haunts my Spyder again. :banghead::cus::banghead:

NancysToy
08-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Double check all your wire connections. If they are not snapped tightly, they can vibrate loose. Swap O2 sensors and see if the fault switches cylinders.

Huddleston
08-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Double check all your wire connections. If they are not snapped tightly, they can vibrate loose. Swap O2 sensors and see if the fault switches cylinders.

Will do. Good idea on the O2 sensors. I had not thought of that. Thanks.

Huddleston
08-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Will do. Good idea on the O2 sensors. I had not thought of that. Thanks.
Ok, I checked the plug wires...all good. I swapped the O2 sensors, and took a ride, and it still shows P1175. Any more suggestions, please?

NancysToy
08-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Time to pull that plug and read it. If it truly is running rich, it needs to be addressed, but short of replacing the injector, I can't think of an answer. I disagree with your tech, but I am not that familiar with electronic fuel injection. You need an expert.

Huddleston
08-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Time to pull that plug and read it. If it truly is running rich, it needs to be addressed, but short of replacing the injector, I can't think of an answer. I disagree with your tech, but I am not that familiar with electronic fuel injection. You need an expert. Well, the plug is one of the two new ones I got from BajaRon. I did pull it, and it is gray, so I do not think it is burning rich. I think I am just going to (try to) ignore it and ride for now. I'll have the tech check the fuel pressure regulator the next time I am there. That is what the shop manual says to check. I thank you very much for your input. Richard

NancysToy
08-22-2013, 02:47 PM
Well, the plug is one of the two new ones I got from BajaRon. I did pull it, and it is gray, so I do not think it is burning rich. I think I am just going to (try to) ignore it and ride for now. I'll have the tech check the fuel pressure regulator the next time I am there. That is what the shop manual says to check. I thank you very much for your input. Richard

Gray is not a normal color. Do you mean white (very lean), or maybe black that has been burned off? Light brown would be ideal. You need to look at the color toward the base of the insulator.

Huddleston
08-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Gray is not a normal color. Do you mean white (very lean), or maybe black that has been burned off? Light brown would be ideal. You need to look at the color toward the base of the insulator.
I guess I should have taken it out into the sunlight. I'm thinking it was probably light brown, but I'll check it again next time I have the Tupperware off. It was clearly not white or black.

NancysToy
08-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Light brown is good! Is the Spyder going into limp mode? If not, and if it is running well and the plugs look good, I'd just ignore the check engine light and ride it a while. Still could be problems with the wiring harness, coil, ECM, or an injector, but They can't be severe if it runs OK and the plugs check out. Could theoretically be oil or purged emissions vapors being passed into the intake from blow-by, too, with the revised plumbing. Be sure not to overfill the fuel tank (or fill too fast) or the oil tank.

Huddleston
08-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Light brown is good! Is the Spyder going into limp mode? If not, and if it is running well and the plugs look good, I'd just ignore the check engine light and ride it a while. Still could be problems with the wiring harness, coil, ECM, or an injector, but They can't be severe if it runs OK and the plugs check out. Could theoretically be oil or purged emissions vapors being passed into the intake from blow-by, too, with the revised plumbing. Be sure not to overfill the fuel tank (or fill too fast) or the oil tank.
No limp mode, and it is running better than ever. So, I guess I'll just Ryde the wind.