PDA

View Full Version : Check Transmission

Web Runner
08-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Hi everybody,
Had some unusually cool weather this morning so decided to go for a ride. During the ride, I had a check engine light come on and a check transmission message flash across the display. It did not go into limp mode and seemed to be running as if nothing was going on. I was on level ground, maintaining speed, running just above 5000 rpms and in 4th gear when it happened. I watched it for a for about 20 seconds expecting a limp mode and a decrease in engine speed but nothing happened. So, I shifted to 5th gear and the CEL and message went away. Went back and forth between 4th and 5th gears and did not get any lights or messages. Shifting through all the gears showed nothing out of the ordinary either. Finally, when I got home, I tried to see if there were any active codes, but there were none.
I did have the 4600 mile maintenance performed a few weeks ago and had not ridden the bike between then and today. I thought I would call the dealership (Team Mancuso Powersports Southwest) and see what their spyder tech had to say about it, but was not able to speak to a tech. The person I did speak to could not offer anything helpful other than "schedule a time and bring it in" and "sounds like a glitch".
Anyone here have any ideas?

ARtraveler
08-17-2013, 03:15 PM
I would start by checking the oil level. Low oil will bring on that problem. If that is the case, sounds like the dealer made an error when servicing your :spyder2:.

Chupaca
08-17-2013, 08:16 PM
:agree: Good starting point. Low oil brings on a bunch of codes and warnings. But if it went away and oil levels are good ryde on and watch for any signs till next check up...:dontknow:

spyderman504
08-18-2013, 09:48 AM
:agree: Good starting point. Low oil brings on a bunch of codes and warnings. But if it went away and oil levels are good ryde on and watch for any signs till next check up...:dontknow:

yes i had the same issue it was low on oil.

Motorcycledave
08-18-2013, 12:09 PM
I have a 2009 GS when I first got it one year ago this month.
about 3 days after I got it I took it to the dealer to have them
do a complete service on it, I wanted to start fresh... all went
well for about 3 more days and the exact same thing occurred
same speed same gear all the same... took it back to the dealer
first thing in the morning I was there waiting when they arrived
in the morning. They checked it out found nothing, no codes, no record
of any codes... ???? never has occurred since.
Dave:dontknow:

DragonLorD
08-18-2013, 12:55 PM
glitch
i got dozens of them, never codes, never issues
low battery once, low oil once
very sophisticated machine so you more less expect these
some Dealers make a good money on this when stressed folks bring it to them - that's in cases when rider/owner needs a treatment rather than machine, smarter wins :roflblack:
relax and enjoy your ride :thumbup:

Web Runner
08-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I really do appreciate it. I'll check the oil level as a follow-up to the dealership's work. Other wise, I'll keep on keepin' on!

Hey DragonLorD, this made me chuckle: "that's in cases when rider/owner needs a treatment rather than machine, smarter wins :roflblack:
relax and enjoy your ride :thumbup:"

Thanks!!

smporter420
08-21-2013, 01:19 PM
I had the same problem, I had to replace the shifting housing but it was under warranty so no cost to me.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

Web Runner
09-07-2013, 12:09 PM
I had the same problem, I had to replace the shifting housing but it was under warranty so no cost to me.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

I took my bike to the dealership this morning, Team Mancuso PowerSports Southwest, and the tech pulled code P0826. Seems that the paddle shifter is starting to go out so they are going to get it replaced under my extended warranty. I was able to drive my Spyder home, so at least I did not have to leave it at the dealership. Hopefully they will have the part within two weeks.

Web Runner
09-11-2013, 05:32 PM
My dealership called me earlier today and informed me that the replacement paddle shifter is on backorder until October. I could not get a date in October, just that it could be any time in that month. Does anybody know anyone (or dealership) that has a new and unused paddle shifter for a 2010 RS SE5 in stock and is willing to part with it? I greatly appreciate anyone's and everyones help.

Web Runner
09-13-2013, 10:05 AM
A big Thank You to DJ at Cowtown USA!