PDA

View Full Version : Future Enabled rider questions

ironhorse446
08-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Good evening everyone! I am new to this site and also a recent amputee so I had to sell my two wheel touring bike and now am looking for something with there wheels. I got the opportunity this past Sunday to test ride a 2013 RT SE5 at a Can Am Demo. I was very impressed with the bike and just have a few questions. I am a right below the knee amputee and was wondering if anybody else is on here and if so do you have your bike set up with a hand brake or do you use your prosthetic to run the brake? A hand brake would be nicer of course but they are spendy. I could probably make the foot brake work but I am a little nervous with having no feeling in the foot and an ankle with limited movement. So I was just wondering what any of you do. I am also a tall guy at 6'4" so was just wondering if there are any kinds of hwy pegs that I could use to help get my feet out in front of me somewhat. I know I definitely would need an RT because of the leg position for me. Also because of the improvements to the 2013s do you all think it is worth buying a 2013 over a 2012? Our local dealer has a carryover 2012 at a pretty good price but I am wondering if it would be smarter to spend a couple thousand extra dollars to get a 2013. I know if i would buy a 2012 I would definitely have to put floor boards on it. Is heat more a problem on the 2013 vs the 2012? And finally were any of you all former conventional trike riders before you bought your Spyders? If so what made you switch? Thanks for any information or opinions as I am just trying to make the best decision I can. I was just wondering what led you to your Spyders over a regular trike. Thank you very much for any info or opinions. I know I am sure ready to get back in the wind again!!!!:2thumbs:

mcaccamise
08-16-2013, 11:59 PM
I think having the hand brake is a great idea i for one am planning on purchasing the ISCI brake also their floor boards and highway pegs work great love them.
I came off two wheels after surgery and love three, The heat issue seems to be much more present on the 2013 than my 2012 good luck and enjoy your new spyder.
Mike

NancysToy
08-17-2013, 05:44 AM
You can't beat the ISCI hand brake for usability and reliability. If you can assist with your prosthetic when needed, so much the better. Lots of different highway pegs and footboards out there. Of course with a the right 2013 you would not neet aftermarket footboards. If it were me, I would go for the 2012 and spend the money saved on the brake and footboards/pegs and a BajaRon swaybar. There are some incentives on the 2013's right now, however. Tough decision...I wish you well. :welcome:

SpyderAnn01
08-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Welcome. Scotty is right on as usual. The ISCI handbrake is the way to go.

Spyder_Cowgirl
08-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Welcome. Scotty is right on as usual. The ISCI handbrake is the way to go.

As SpyderAnn said, Scotty is right on. If you do decide to go with the ISCI unit (they are a SpyderLovers sponsor), make sure to request their disabled discount as it will more than cover the shipping. Spydercowboy and I purchased the kit a few weeks ago and are just waiting for an opportune time to install it on our 2012 RT Limited (Spydercowboy shattered his right ankle in a M/C accident January 2012, so the handbrake is a must for him).

Welcome to SpyderLovers .... best regards .... Ann

ironhorse446
08-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Good evening and thanks for the warm welcome!!!! I appreciate your input and advice so far. I hope this is not a dumb question but where would I purchase the ICSI hand brake and would that be the one that the dealer would sell or do they handle something else? And is $1500 about going rate for it? Also is it something that I could install myself or should a dealer do it. And I see at least some of you are riding 12 RT's vs 2013's. Have you all been happy with the 2012's? I thought maybe the 2013 would be the way to go because of the stiffer front suspension etc but I am guessing the sway bar from BajaRon will take care of the suspension issues on the 2012 correct? Is there a reason for more of a heat issue on the 2013's over the 2012's? I guess the heat thing does scare me a little as I also have neuropathy in my good foot so I have no feeling and after reading another post on here I am nervous about burns on my foot and not being able to feel it. Maybe I am just paranoid. Thanks again for bearing with all my questions. I am the kind of a guy that wants to make an informed decision before I make my purchase. So hence all the questions.:helpsmilie:

NancysToy
08-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Good evening and thanks for the warm welcome!!!! I appreciate your input and advice so far. I hope this is not a dumb question but where would I purchase the ICSI hand brake and would that be the one that the dealer would sell or do they handle something else? And is $1500 about going rate for it? Also is it something that I could install myself or should a dealer do it. And I see at least some of you are riding 12 RT's vs 2013's. Have you all been happy with the 2012's? I thought maybe the 2013 would be the way to go because of the stiffer front suspension etc but I am guessing the sway bar from BajaRon will take care of the suspension issues on the 2012 correct? Is there a reason for more of a heat issue on the 2013's over the 2012's? I guess the heat thing does scare me a little as I also have neuropathy in my good foot so I have no feeling and after reading another post on here I am nervous about burns on my foot and not being able to feel it. Maybe I am just paranoid. Thanks again for bearing with all my questions. I am the kind of a guy that wants to make an informed decision before I make my purchase. So hence all the questions.:helpsmilie:
ISCI is a site sponsor, and has a banner on the SpyderLovers home page. http://www.spyderlovers.com/sponsors/iscilargerad.jpg (http://www.isciride.com/)
You would buy from them directly. Whether or not your dealer would install depends on the dealer...you would have to ask. Wheter you could do it depends on your skills, or available help...and also your tools. You are best equipped to answer that. Contact ISCI and they can discuss it with you.

Star Cruiser
08-30-2013, 10:08 PM
ISCI is a site sponsor, and has a banner on the SpyderLovers home page. http://www.spyderlovers.com/sponsors/iscilargerad.jpg (http://www.isciride.com/)
You would buy from them directly. Whether or not your dealer would install depends on the dealer...you would have to ask. Wheter you could do it depends on your skills, or available help...and also your tools. You are best equipped to answer that. Contact ISCI and they can discuss it with you.

ISCI iis a great company and I found them to be very honest and forthright! I am a LEFT above knee amputee and they did NOT try to sell e something that I did not need. You will LOVE the spyder! Welcome to the club, my RT-S (2012) is my second Spyder. I previously rode a 2008 (80, 000km). Enjoy the rYde - you will definitely feel ENABLED

Doktor
08-31-2013, 08:24 PM
I don't think the most "popular" heat problem would be a problem, depending on how far BK your amputation is, if you are just above the ankle, possibly, but, fairly close to the knee joint, it should not be any bother at all. . I'm dealing with the heat problem that appears to be the most common. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?57084-The-dreaded-right-foot-french-frier this is the link. If you had no problem with the RT SE5, you should not have any problem with the 2013, I've never owned a 2012, nor ridden one, but I really like my 13 RT-S SE5. The heat problem is related to the 2 openings directly in front of the front floorboard, for what it's worth, your amputation will, for once, be an advantage. The openings are related to the radiator, and there is an amount of heat related to the area, dependent on your point of view, from mild, to unbearable, some have tried to compensate for it with heavier boots, moving their feet back on the footboard, or in my case, I borrowed a concept from a board member that has made a commercial blocking plate, I used a piece of flashing and some insulation to block the heat coming through the top hole, the lower hole is a contender for a blocking plate as well, in my case, the lower hole doesn't radiate much heat. I had installed a set of highway pegs, and the upper hole had made it virtually impossible to use.
Both of those items are available from Spyderpops, one of the folks that make this place possible, by paying for the electrons, LOL
I've not heard of much heat related problems from the left side, so you should be good, there.

Doc

Big Arm
08-31-2013, 09:46 PM
:welcome: I see your from Sibley :clap:
You came to the right place for all your answers....... good luck in your search

ABQAndy
08-31-2013, 10:43 PM
You can't beat the ISCI hand brake for usability and reliability. If you can assist with your prosthetic when needed, so much the better. Lots of different highway pegs and footboards out there. Of course with a the right 2013 you would not neet aftermarket footboards. If it were me, I would go for the 2012 and spend the money saved on the brake and footboards/pegs and a BajaRon swaybar. There are some incentives on the 2013's right now, however. Tough decision...I wish you well. :welcome:

I agree, I had polio and I don't have any strength in my right leg/foot so I got an ISCI hand brake for my RT. It has served me well for 10,000 mi. and I would recommend it to anyone with a similar issue. I am able to use my right leg for some assistance in an emergency but 99% of the time the ISCI is all I use. I think I paid about $1,350 for it and I had the dealer install it as part of the purchase agreement.