PDA

View Full Version : Baker Air Wings or BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors?

Luvs2Ride
08-16-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing adjustable wind deflectors for my 2012 RTS. If anyone has either of these brands, would really appreciate your comments about how well they work. I'm hoping redirecting the air into the seat area will help reduce some of the heat! :sour:
Thanks so much!

soaring hawk
08-16-2013, 10:05 PM
I have both, but baker wings can be used for both cooling or to block cold air.
I would start with baker first then add BRPs. :thumbup: Work great!

Cheers

Gary

NancysToy
08-16-2013, 10:16 PM
The BRP deflectors are OK, but they are not amazing. Fully closed they deflect more air than the 2011 and newer deflectors, but they do create more backdraft. Not as bad as the 2010 deflector/windshield combination, but far more than the standard 2011 and newer deflectors. In the intermediate position the rider gets the most air, but it is more concentrated on the thighs than anywhere else. Sometimes this air can be quite warm (not hot) as it pulls trapped hot air from within the body out of the upper body vents via venturi action. That alone should help cool things off for the rider, but I have never taken measurements. In the fully deflected position the air tends to hit the passenger more than the rider, and a significant portion may be forced into the upper body vents. My feeling is that this does not cool things, as there is nowhere then for the air to exit, so the airflow into the body stops as soon as pressure equalizes. Removal of the lower splash pans may improve the air flow in that position. I like the adjustable deflectors. They are worthwhile, but they are not a cure-all. JMHO

fireplug98
08-16-2013, 10:25 PM
I love my Baker's !!!!

Tommy J.

captblack
08-17-2013, 06:54 AM
I use both and love the many options I can use. Right now, I have the upper Baker turned in, the lower set straight and use the adjustable deflectors to add or remove the wind as I want. In the winter, I adjust everything to block the wind and it really makes a difference. I can also do this when riding in the rain. It really makes quite a pocket of protection.

Bob Denman
08-17-2013, 07:17 AM
I've got the BRP offering, and find that it does exactly what I was hoping that it would do. :thumbup:
But the Baker-Builts will also re-direct air to other points in your riding position.
Get one and try it. You can add the other if it is needed! :2thumbs:

Cleg
08-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Baker's work great...the three levels are easy to customize, tops for rain and bottom 2 are great for helping to deflect the wind and that most annoying right side air :yes:....

harrypottar
08-17-2013, 07:56 AM
I have the Baker wings with the uppers and the standard older 2012 BRP air deflectors, standard on the RT Limited.

For me the Baker wings makes a huge difference in comfort, uppers closed and the wings turned out creates a great pocket of air that keeps you dry in rain ( while moving) and warm while night riding.

Uppers open and wings turned in all the way creates a really cool breeze on the body. The fixed BRP deflectors force air into the wings then the wings force air onto you. I got cold the other night, the sun had gone down it was 70 degrees or so and I had to stop and turn them out I was that cold, I was geared up as well.

Not a great fan of the looks but they sure do work well. I will eventually add the windscreen with vent but trying to work out if its smaller than my stock 2012, which is just right.

harry

MouthPiece
08-17-2013, 08:11 AM
I have both, but baker wings can be used for both cooling or to block cold air.
I would start with baker first then add BRPs. :thumbup: Work great!

Cheers

Gary

Agreed. I have just the BRP and I don't notice one bit of difference in having them or not having them.

Chris

Luvs2Ride
08-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks for replies... have a better understanding now of how both deflectors work. Just know my saddle is hot and the sheepskin I use only helps at highway speeds. Am hoping the deflectors will help a lot... and sounds as though they will.

Thanks again

Jenna

ABQAndy
08-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Agreed. I have just the BRP and I don't notice one bit of difference in having them or not having them.

Chris

I also have the BRP adjustable and don't see that much help with the heat. Does anyone have a picture with both the BRP and Baker installed on an RT? I would like to see what it looks like before considering.

Tango
08-17-2013, 08:37 AM
I would also like to see some pics of the wings. Both BRP, and Baker. Thanks, Tom.:trike:

Pennyrick
08-17-2013, 08:49 AM
I would also like to see some pics of the wings. Both BRP, and Baker. Thanks, Tom.:trike:

They work just as folks have stated.

mindman
08-17-2013, 08:55 AM
This year I added the BRP deflectors and a shorter, vented windshield to our 2010 RT-S. I've noticed a considerable difference. I believe most of it is attributable to the vented windshield. I've got more air, and a LOT less buffeting. the deflectors do make a difference but it is definitely less than the windshield.

Bob Ledford
08-17-2013, 10:29 AM
I found the BRP air wings to work quite satisfactorily for me. My co-rider is not totally sold on them as she claims not enough smooth air. She gets a heap of buffeting back there..

i have not figured out in my mind how the Baker Bilts go on exactly nor have I seen a Spyder with them on and I know I have probably walked right by a dozen of them during Bike Week Daytona 2012/2013

SpyderAnn01
08-17-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned that you must remove the Baker to check your oil. Is this not as big a pain as I imagine it to be? Or do you just not check your oil between service :lecturef_smilie:

Luvs2Ride
08-17-2013, 11:42 AM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned that you must remove the Baker to check your oil. Is this not as big a pain as I imagine it to be? Or do you just not check your oil between service :lecturef_smilie:

Wondering the same thing after just checking out Baker's installation video. Thanks for posting the question, Ann.

captblack
08-17-2013, 12:27 PM

It's not bad ... carry a 7/16 wrench and remove one bolt. Added benefit is that you will never lose the side panel. :thumbup:

fyrertuck
08-17-2013, 12:38 PM
I have both and would say get both. If you neeed air or block in the cold they are great. I have had air wings on all my bikes.

harrypottar
08-17-2013, 09:46 PM

I changed out the standard nut type bolt with an alan key type nut. Only take a few seconds to undo one bolt, plus as some else mentioned never run the risk of losing a panel.

harry

Motorcycledave
08-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Bakers...

DoggyDaddy
08-18-2013, 12:44 AM
I just finished a 1300 mile ride with the BRP wind deflectors and found them to be a great addition. They provided both me and my wife with the extra air that I needed. I regularly ride in temperatures approaching 100 and it was a wee bit on the hot side prior to installing the deflectors. Now it is still warm but very tolerable. The other reason why I chose the BRP's is the appearance of the deflectors. IMO the Bakers look clunky and like add-ons and really detract from the overall appearance of the Spyder. The BRP's are well integrated and do not detract from the look of the Spyder. If the BRP's don't do the trick then, by all means consider the Bakers. That's my two cents worth!!

Luvs2Ride
08-18-2013, 08:25 AM
I just finished a 1300 mile ride with the BRP wind deflectors and found them to be a great addition. They provided both me and my wife with the extra air that I needed. I regularly ride in temperatures approaching 100 and it was a wee bit on the hot side prior to installing the deflectors. Now it is still warm but very tolerable. The other reason why I chose the BRP's is the appearance of the deflectors. IMO the Bakers look clunky and like add-ons and really detract from the overall appearance of the Spyder. The BRP's are well integrated and do not detract from the look of the Spyder. If the BRP's don't do the trick then, by all means consider the Bakers. That's my two cents worth!!

I have to admit that I've been hesitant about getting the Baker Wings because of the looks... agree with your thoughts but know they work well. Would like any addition to look as though it 'belongs'. Have a lot to think about.

Lots of good replies/information... thanks to everyone!
Jenna

ABQSpyder
08-18-2013, 09:26 AM
My only comment about Baker is terrible or should I say no customer service.:banghead:

napper39
08-18-2013, 09:56 AM
i love the bakers they work well and is a snap to install,and baker was grate with service,on of the wings got broke in shipment and baker sent me one in 2 days ,you wont go wrong with bakers.:thumbup::chat:

harrypottar
08-18-2013, 10:21 AM
I have to admit that I've been hesitant about getting the Baker Wings because of the looks... agree with your thoughts but know they work well. Would like any addition to look as though it 'belongs'. Have a lot to think about.

Jenna

I was worried about the looks too, I purchased the clear version no tint. I have the lava bronze limited which is quite dark and already have quite a bit of chrome. The fittings are chrome and the panels clear,I know they're there but most people don't notice them. It was function over form, the very first rain storm you're in you will wonder why you waited so long. I've had no issues with customer service, I got two left instead of left and a right and they over nighted the replacement as I was going on a trip with the spyder.

harry

dick574
08-18-2013, 11:52 AM

I simply removed the grill from the panel & now I can access the oil dip stick to check and/or add oil. Works great for me.

I've got the Baker Upper & middle wings. Love em'

Yfactor
08-18-2013, 02:01 PM

Jenna

Love my Bakers

gypsy_100
08-18-2013, 05:07 PM

It's not bad ... carry a 7/16 wrench and remove one bolt. Added benefit is that you will never lose the side panel. :thumbup:

Agree with CaptBlack -- just carry a 7/16" socket and it takes just a few seconds to remove the one bolt and then check the oil. No big deal at all.

As for preference, I have both Baker's and the BRP's on my 2011 RT. They work great. I started with the Baker's because they were available when I bought my RT (I had them on my Gold Wing and my wife and I both loved them). They worked fine on the RT. Then this summer I added the new BRP adjustable deflectors and notice a significant further improvement in managing the air flow. Go for both -- in my opinion.