PDA

View Full Version : Fire Proofed my 2011 RRS

MikeinGA
08-16-2013, 04:07 PM
When I did my two year/14,000 mile service I stripped off all my panels and removed all the BRP foam sound and heat foam and I cleaned the inside of the panels. Then I put my own heat and sound protection in all the panels and put some on the under side of the gas to try to keep the gas from boiling. I used Cool It by Thermo Tec heat & acoustical control mat. The foam that I removed was flammable, holding a BIC lighter on the BRP foam for 12 to 15 seconds it burst into flames. I tried to start the Thermo Tec mat on fire and it melted with no flames. Now I fell safe from fire. Last year I wrapped all the fuel lines from the gas tank to the engine hoping to give my self time to get away from my Spyder and had put a fire extinguisher in my tank bag. That's IMHO.

Mike

bigflax925
08-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Any pics of it installed?

Is it a peel and stick application?

ironbuttdean
08-16-2013, 07:39 PM
I ordered that and picked up a roll of thermal reflective tape today from O'reilly. Plan to install during the heavy rain this weekend.

When I did my two year/14,000 mile service I stripped off all my panels and removed all the BRP foam sound and heat foam and I cleaned the inside of the panels. Then I put my own heat and sound protection in all the panels and put some on the under side of the gas to try to keep the gas from boiling. I used Cool It by Thermo Tec heat & acoustical control mat. The foam that I removed was flammable, holding a BIC lighter on the BRP foam for 12 to 15 seconds it burst into flames. I tried to start the Thermo Tec mat on fire and it melted with no flames. Now I fell safe from fire. Last year I wrapped all the fuel lines from the gas tank to the engine hoping to give my self time to get away from my Spyder and had put a fire extinguisher in my tank bag. That's IMHO.

Mike

spyder3
08-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Did it help with the sound at all?

MikeinGA
08-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Did it help with the sound at all?

Yes. A lot less noise then before. I had a lot of engine noise and no fan noise and it made so all I hear now is the engine wine on my 2011 Spyder RS-S. It's one of the best mods I did to date.

Mike

MikeinGA
08-16-2013, 10:20 PM
I ordered that and picked up a roll of thermal reflective tape today from O'reilly. Plan to install during the heavy rain this weekend.

That will only help with the heat not the sound. I bought my Cool It by Thermo Tec heat & acoustical control mat at Amazon. com.

Mike

MikeinGA
08-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Any pics of it installed?

Is it a peel and stick application?

I will take some pics this this week and post them on this thread this weekend.

Yes it's peel and stick operation. Tip! I used brown wrapping to make a template (fits to the shape of the panel) and keep the mat material cool, about 68 degrees F. it will cut easier with a scissors if it's warm the material stick to the scissors.

Mike

Bob Denman
08-17-2013, 07:50 AM
:bbq::bbq:...Waiting to seee some pics... :bbq::bbq: :D

spyder3
08-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Pictures would be great Mike. Thanks for the info:clap:

bigflax925
08-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Just ordered mine! Thanks for the tip/s.

Can't wait for some pics.

KX5062
08-17-2013, 02:03 PM
I did the same sort of thing too, I just used the heat tiles and not the sound deadener since I didn't care about the sound. I don't think it's excessive anyway. However, EPA sound testing standards may offer a different opinion. ;)

In my estimation BRP used the material they used for sound deadening and not for heat anyway. The foil seemed to be an after thought or of secondary concern. I think using real heat tiling works really well.

Before the installation, after a ride in hot weather the plastic panels were so hot you couldn't hold your hand onto them, now they are only mildly warm to the touch. However, it doens't do anything for the heat that blows onto your right foot.

Once my extended warranty runs out I will pull the gas tank and put it onto the bottom of the tank, since BRP put that same chessy stuff on it instead of real heat tiling.

For me, I started out using the originals as templates, but then decided to make them bigger, so I also did the cardboard templates to get better coverage.

Overall, it works really well and is something I too recommend. :thumbup:

MikeinGA
08-18-2013, 03:46 PM
No pics. I took the pics and my new camera makes the pics that uses to much storage to post on this website. If I can find a camera that can pics that take up less storage I'll try again.

Mike

MrLooney
08-18-2013, 04:44 PM
No pics. I took the pics and my new camera makes the pics that uses to much storage to post on this website. If I can find a camera that can pics that take up less storage I'll try again.

Mike

RESIZE PICS
www.resize.it (http://www.resize.it/)

photobucket.com

Bob Denman
08-19-2013, 02:26 PM
I believe that there's a 2 megabyte limit per picture...

Orange monster
08-19-2013, 02:32 PM
You can open the picture in Paint on your computer and resize them there.