PDA

View Full Version : 6000 Mile Service

fas2000
08-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Hi Guys,

My dealer in Northern NJ is quoting $300 plus parts, or close to $400, for a 6000 mile service. From reading around, this sounds to be on the High Side. They said besides the oil change, that they look at the whole bike. I think people are quoting that the price of an Oil change alone is about $100.

Is this cost justified?
If not any suggestions of any service guys in Northern NJ that i can take my Spyder GS to, and what should I be asking for?

I want them to do whatever is on the 6000 mile service interval, plus i want them to do a 'basic' lookover to see that there is nothing obscenely wrong. Tire alignment, Transmission fluid. Finally just maybe give me some tips on doing my T-clocks. Would $200 be unreasonable for all of this?

Fas

ARtraveler
08-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi Guys,

My dealer in Northern NJ is quoting $300 plus parts, or close to $400, for a 6000 mile service. From reading around, this sounds to be on the High Side. They said besides the oil change, that they look at the whole bike. I think people are quoting that the price of an Oil change alone is about $100.

Is this cost justified?
If not any suggestions of any service guys in Northern NJ that i can take my Spyder GS to, and what should I be asking for?

I want them to do whatever is on the 6000 mile service interval, plus i want them to do a 'basic' lookover to see that there is nothing obscenely wrong. Tire alignment, Transmission fluid. Finally just maybe give me some tips on doing my T-clocks. Would $200 be unreasonable for all of this?

Fas

There was a thread about service costs running yesterday. $300 ballpark for oil changes are kind of par. If you add additional services, they hit you with the labor rate. Most charge $100 per hour. You may or may not get your money's worth. It all depends on the dealer.

Here is a link to that discussion: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?56634-600-mi-Service-Cost&p=672519#post672519

Tierhog
08-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Par or not, thats ridiculous. 20min top for plastics (use electric drill with proper hex), jack it, and get to work.

Perform your checks. One hour.. Two if you have a beer break.

fas2000
08-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Thank you both for your replies.

Akspyderman, thank you for the link. Mind you I am looking for a 6000 mile service, not a 600 mile service. I suppose I just wanted a one look over by the dealer. I felt that $200, maybe $250 was about the fair range for what i want done at $90/hr rate that they are charging plus the parts.

thanks again,
Fas

ARtraveler
08-16-2013, 02:41 PM
Thank you both for your replies.

Akspyderman, thank you for the link. Mind you I am looking for a 6000 mile service, not a 600 mile service. I suppose I just wanted a one look over by the dealer. I felt that $200, maybe $250 was about the fair range for what i want done at $90/hr rate that they are charging plus the parts.

thanks again,
Fas

Most of the services are similar to the 600 mile one. The valve check service is a killer though. Mentioned in the other thread.

Chupaca
08-16-2013, 02:41 PM
I do my own service so can't say but when I did the work at shops one hour was par. Now I get my oil and filter online. $65.00 for oil filter, oring, washers. That puts you around $165.00 so $200.00 sounds closer to fair. But every dealer is different. If you check your manual you can see what they should do. Add a tad for the buds perhaps..jmo shop around..:thumbup:

DrewNJ
08-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Unfortunately, I have heard nothing but negative about north jersey spyder dealers. Take the ride and go south just across the bridge into Delaware to J&J Powersports. They are good people and will take care of you. Oil change is right at about $200 and then whatever else you want to have done...
FYI- No tranny fluid. It's motor oil and changes with the motor oil change. And at 6k miles I wouldn't mess with your alignment unless you are having some tire wear issues or have done some damage to the front end. JMHO

bh164
12-04-2013, 01:39 AM
Hi Guys,

Is this cost justified?

FasIf the bike is running fine? and ,you have no problems? Watch a video or two on this site. I say do it yourself buy the parts on ebay and some zero w 40 from amsoil best for year round riding in nj. and, let the good times roll. Tell the automall thanks, but no thanks. I just purchased both filters, o rings, and copper gaskets for 25 bucks. it was supposed to be cheaper after the new panel was installed.(yeah quicker and cheaper for the dealer they still charge for an hour even after the installed panel) lamonster says he can do it one the video in 10 mins tops an oil change should go for is 120 bucks . but the dealer points at the manufacturers time table of an hour an says sorry... it is utter b*** S**T If spyder wants to improve the service put on a screw on fram filter and suggest an oil and be done with it.. this is a total dealer/manufacturer scam ***at a boy bonus... wonder what dealers would do if spyder changed the times to a true 30 min? stop servicing the bikes? I think not, but the have a captive rich american audience. my true wish is for honda to make a version of the spyder then we can wave bye to the edsel's

lightman02
12-10-2013, 07:52 AM
If the bike is running fine? and ,you have no problems? Watch a video or two on this site. I say do it yourself buy the parts on ebay and some zero w 40 from amsoil best for year round riding in nj. and, let the good times roll. Tell the automall thanks, but no thanks. I just purchased both filters, o rings, and copper gaskets for 25 bucks. it was supposed to be cheaper after the new panel was installed.(yeah quicker and cheaper for the dealer they still charge for an hour even after the installed panel) lamonster says he can do it one the video in 10 mins tops an oil change should go for is 120 bucks . but the dealer points at the manufacturers time table of an hour an says sorry... it is utter b*** S**T If spyder wants to improve the service put on a screw on fram filter and suggest an oil and be done with it.. this is a total dealer/manufacturer scam ***at a boy bonus... wonder what dealers would do if spyder changed the times to a true 30 min? stop servicing the bikes? I think not, but the have a captive rich american audience. my true wish is for honda to make a version of the spyder then we can wave bye to the edsel's

I agree!! I do all my own service and would be more then happy to help out others and even do the change for you and show you how to do it for a few bucks but I don't want the liability issues.