PDA

View Full Version : New discovery on 2013 heat issue. Your going to want to read this

kbfk
08-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Hello all, I am the proud owner of a 2013RT since Jan. I have been working with my dealer for the last 7.5 months trying to solve all my heat issues. Fyi, I previously owned a 2012 and was able solve my heat issues with a spyder pop block off plate. For this post im going to concentrate on the heat build up issue that occurs right in front of the seat. The dealer measured the tupperware at 174 degrees one day when I brought it in. Not an ideal temp to have in the crotch area. So my dealer confirmed my heat issues and we have been try to figure out what is difference between a 2012 and earlier and a 2013RT bikes. They finally found a design difference between the earlier bikes. Thanks to CyncySpyder for the photos in his library of a 2011RT. The 2013 does not have the heatshielding that you see in top right of photo 1 and the top left in photo 2 (look for the foil). My dealer fashioned our own version of this an so far its working great. I will respond with a follow up after driving on it a few more days.

Daisyjoe
08-14-2013, 11:05 PM
I have a 2013 RTS. Took it in to the shop today. It has gone into limp mode 4 times (code PO217) plus the seat is so hot I am miserable trying to ride. I was given a handout sheet explaining heat soak. So that answered the limp mode question. My dealer is going to call BRP and talk with them concerning the heat on the seat issue. I took pictures of my legs today when I got home. I am sending pictures to BRP. I believe I have read where other people have taken this route. I rode for only 50 minutes, which is a short ride, and the inside of my legs were a bright red and stinging. Please keep us updated on your results.

SpyderAnn01
08-14-2013, 11:25 PM
I did not have any heat issues like those you describe. I did get the P0127 code several times and P0217 a couple of times. Daisy you should consider wearing riding gear that should help a lot

Magdave
08-15-2013, 10:09 AM
I don't think that is the magic bullet IMHO.
The 217 and 127 codes happen on a new 2013 but seem to go away after it is broken in. Dunno why.

kbfk
08-15-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't think that is the magic bullet IMHO.
The 217 and 127 codes happen on a new 2013 but seem to go away after it is broken in. Dunno why.

Oh, I'm not claiming this will get rid of any codes and frankly I have had to do other heat modifications on my bike as well. This one mod though has massively dropped the amount of heat that is coming up through and in front of my seat. I'm just waiting for another hot day to give it a full ringing endorsement. I can tell you, I used to be able to ride my bike for 15min and the front edge of my seat would be very warm. Now nothing. Its also very evident that there is a physical difference in the heat shielding for the 2013RT bikes.

CyncySpyder
08-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Just in case anyone else is wondering what a mostly naked 2011 RT-S looks like under the tupperware, feel free to check out our Photo Albums listed under our profile as kbfk did ;) Seriously, we have over a thousand pics posted of all different things, mostly dealing with Teddy showing off and his Red Sled in one form or another ... :shocked: ... but much information can be gleamed for those that may be interested :thumbup:

Help Yourselves :2thumbs: and here's a link to make it easier ;)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?u=5338
:clap::yes:Just click on an album to see all the pics located in that album :yes::clap:http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=54164&d=1348621414 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2368&attachmentid=54163)
;) We're Glad we could help & hope they get your heat problems worked out :pray:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66423&d=1366042986 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1522&attachmentid=66035)

OWISE1
08-15-2013, 11:10 AM
I also have a MAJOR HEAT issue at the front of my seat and tupperware around it. I have had my 2013 RT-S since June and the dealer says thats just the way it is. A second opinion from a different dealer got the same answer...:cus: :banghead:

I find it hard to believe that BRP, with all the complaints, hasn't come up with a fix.....

MouthPiece
08-15-2013, 11:45 AM
Try riding a 2013 RT-S with Corbin seat having gas door. He comes out of the sides of the gas door and puts a sho nuff hurtin on your inside thigh (left) especially if you're wearing shorts like I do 90% of the time.

Chris

Bob Denman
08-15-2013, 01:46 PM
I find it hard to believe that BRP, with all the complaints, hasn't come up with a fix.....
Sometimes you can fix one issue, and create an entirely new set of nightmares! :shocked:
They're working on it... :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Not much I can add here except for:

:bbq::bbq::bbq::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Bob Denman
08-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Well then; pass me a rack of ribs!! :thumbup: :bbq:

Dan McNally
08-15-2013, 01:59 PM
I had a tremendous amount of heat coming up around the latch (front right side under the seat) that locks the seat down. I used some aluminum duct tape to seal all the opening except the hole the pin on the seat goes through to lock it down. It made a HUGE difference. Prior to that, I was getting first degree burns on my thighs at the places the seat met the Tupperware where the heat was escaping. That has ended since I taped around that hole. I also bought a sheepskin cover (the one for the CanAm RT S single) that covers over the place where the seat met the Tupperware . . . the tape did the job, but I'm glad I bought the seat cover, as it adds some comfort to an already comfortable stock seat.

JacqueTanis
08-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Just curious, I have an ST and we have been dealing with heat problems too. We've looked at your pics and are curious as to where that heat barrier is? What heat sourceis it shielding from? We can't tell from the pictures. Thanks!:spyder:

Hello all, I am the proud owner of a 2013RT since Jan. I have been working with my dealer for the last 7.5 months trying to solve all my heat issues. Fyi, I previously owned a 2012 and was able solve my heat issues with a spyder pop block off plate. For this post im going to concentrate on the heat build up issue that occurs right in front of the seat. The dealer measured the tupperware at 174 degrees one day when I brought it in. Not an ideal temp to have in the crotch area. So my dealer confirmed my heat issues and we have been try to figure out what is difference between a 2012 and earlier and a 2013RT bikes. They finally found a design difference between the earlier bikes. Thanks to CyncySpyder for the photos in his library of a 2011RT. The 2013 does not have the heatshielding that you see in top right of photo 1 and the top left in photo 2 (look for the foil). My dealer fashioned our own version of this an so far its working great. I will respond with a follow up after driving on it a few more days.

kbfk
08-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Just curious, I have an ST and we have been dealing with heat problems too. We've looked at your pics and are curious as to where that heat barrier is? What heat sourceis it shielding from? We can't tell from the pictures. Thanks!:spyder:

Perhaps this picture will help note where the front of the bike is and the engine placement. The heat shield in this photo is to the right top corner. As you can see, a good part of the engine resides in front and below the heat shield.

wyliec
08-17-2013, 06:18 AM
I realize you're talking 2013 RT's; but, I'm wondering why the heat issue cannot be faulty/bad Y gaskets (for your particular problem). On my 2008 GS, purchased new, I wasn't able to touch the Y panel just ahead of the seat with an ungloved hand. As it turned out, the Y gasket on the right was bad.

I also have read on here that the Y gaskets are much better now then back than. Isn't it possible that BRP had a bad batch of Y gaskets; so, only some RT's have the problem? Just curious. Also, I'm only talking the heat issue that seems to be focused just ahead of the seat, not the lower right leg/ankle area.