PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer scale 0-220mph ???

Sopher
06-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Hmmm.. Bike is governor controlled at a maximum speed of 110mph (I would never dare to even go higher than 80).
Why on earth did the BRP engineers set the scale for speedometer to go up to 220 ?? That's a lot of wasted dashboard space! With a majority of the speed is 0-80, why would they do that?

BUT, if you look at the dealer glossy brochure it shows the scale at 0-110. :-X Odd. very odd.

joelin
06-26-2008, 11:23 PM
If you switch mph to kmph the speedometer scale will change to metric , it will need at least 180 kmph to show
you so that why it go up to 220 .

majinbusa
06-27-2008, 02:50 AM
You know that speedometer alway shocks people when they ask me about the Spyder.First they ask who makes it so i point on the side that show Can Am then they ask how fast does it go i point at the speedo then their eyes get big followed by :edit: they go that fast.

bjt
06-27-2008, 06:11 AM
If you switch mph to kmph the speedometer scale will change to metric , it will need at least 180 kmph to show
you so that why it go up to 220 .

Yep

100kmh = 62mph
200kmh = 124mph

I believe there have been reports of U.S. Spyders pushing 120mph so the speedo going to 200 is very necessary for Canadian speed demons.

patches
06-27-2008, 06:54 AM
not that I want to claim it too much but the :spyder: will go over 110 MPH and then some. I am just saying, not that I ride at that speed but I just had to check it out. Never know when the big asteroid comes crashing into the east coast and we have to get out of dodge and head to the mountains..speed becomes an issue and the spyder is going with me..wife can fend for herself. I see this a movie in the making..ohh wait..think it was already done. dang it.

NancysToy
06-27-2008, 07:23 AM
It has been well documented that the "speed governed to 110 mph max" is just hype. Numerous people have proven there is no such governor. I would never do such a thing, of course. ;D

The Spyder speedo is a fascinating, and somewhat innovative creature. An analog speedometer...driven digitally. Most speedos have two sets of numbers, so you must translate as you peek at them, and one scale is always wrong. The Spyder switches units internally, and reads on exactly the same scale, when you switch from metric units to US, and vice versa. The scale absolutely has to read that high for the metric units when it is done this way.

Besides, it's impressive. When they ask "Does it really do 200 miles per hour?", I just say "Not legally.", and smile.
-Scotty

frleo
06-27-2008, 08:26 AM
I have spent a good part of my life in excess of 200 mph IN AIRCRAFT.. You'd never catch me at greater than 80 on a spYder on highways. :cop: 8)

sabunim5
06-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Don't know where this 110 mph goverened rumor came from, but it sure is pervasive. Don't really understand it at all. I did read recently that the demo units are governed to 110 and that may be the source; but that may be just another untrue rumor that will spread like wildfire (he said as he helped the rumor grow himself). The Spyder will exceed 110mph (he said confindently, but not speaking from personal knowledge - YET).
sabunim5 :spyder:

VIspyderman
06-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Yep

100kmh = 62mph
200kmh = 124mph

I believe there have been reports of U.S. Spyders pushing 120mph so the speedo going to 200 is very necessary for Canadian speed demons.

The speedometer needs to go that high for us Canucks as we use km/h. However, I have burried the needle many times. 203 on the digital speedometer... although the GPS, which is more accurate, read only 194 km/h.

NancysToy
06-27-2008, 06:01 PM
The speedometer needs to go that high for us Canucks as we use km/h. However, I have burried the needle many times. 203 on the digital speedometer... although the GPS, which is more accurate, read only 194 km/h.

That's exactly how much higer my wife's Spyder speedo read...4.6%, but neither of us has tested it as high up the scale as you have. ;D
-Scotty

trikester
06-28-2008, 12:27 AM
The only experience I had with Spyder speed was to take it up to 85 MPH and suddenly roll the throttle wide open. When I did that the machine had enough power left at 85 to feel like it was going to leap out from under me!

Frank

Lamonster
06-28-2008, 05:15 AM
Don't know where this 110 mph goverened rumor came from, but it sure is pervasive. Don't really understand it at all. I did read recently that the demo units are governed to 110 and that may be the source; but that may be just another untrue rumor that will spread like wildfire (he said as he helped the rumor grow himself). The Spyder will exceed 110mph (he said confindently, but not speaking from personal knowledge - YET).
sabunim5 :spyder:

This is where is came from.

s40RtrK3lN0