PDA

View Full Version : Elka Stage 1 and Pitbull Shock relocators

blambert
08-14-2013, 09:54 AM
I have installed on my 2011 RS shock relocators and Elka stage 1 shocks. After installation I noticed the nose of bike has risen. I now measure 9.5 inch's from the ground to the bottom of my spyderpops undercarriage at the nose of the bike. I call Elka and they shared that for my bike with the shock relocators and my weight 240 lbs the preload spring of the shock when lifted off the ground should be 9.25 inch's in length. I did that, my question is do I make the measurement from the top of the spring ( not including the clamp ring) to the bottom of the spring? meaning the top to bottom of just the spring? I believe that the relocators have raised the nose of the bike at least 2-2.5 inch's any one know if that is an issue?

MrLooney
08-14-2013, 10:03 AM
By what other's have said, it could change your alignment!

It could make your Roadster slightly more top heavy!
But with these changes, you never know until you try!

Keep us posted and picts please! :popcorn:

Flanker
08-15-2013, 11:30 AM
I would say yes, just the extended spring length. Out of idle curiosity......................how much ground clearance did you used to have?

blambert
08-16-2013, 12:29 AM
Prior to new mods nose height was around 7 inches

Sarge707
08-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Prior to new mods nose height was around 7 inches

With the Elka,s on my GS (Measuring at the top/front of the lower nose piece) was 7 1/2 "

This was with the Elka,s at 9 1/4 before putting on and 9 " when on the Spyder.

I was toying with the idea of the shock extenders for more upright cornering BUT I guess I need to read more success stories?

Seems like 9 1/2 " from 7 is a big jump in height?:dontknow:

joet82
08-16-2013, 03:25 PM
with Elka Shocks, you will measure ONLY the spring, top to bottom.

Bike-O-Din
08-16-2013, 04:01 PM
I have the Elka's on my 2011 RT-S, front and rear. It did raise the front a bit, but a simple adjustment of the lights and all is well. Wow factor was amazing.

A month or so ago, I added BajaRon's sway bar... The wow factor increased another notch.

I added the shock relocators two weeks ago. I also reduced the shock spring length to 9.25" measured from the top of the spring to the bottom of the spring per Elka's suggestion (John is great!), and took a short ride. All seemed well, but not something that could be defined. Yesterday, I went out for about 6 hours and did nearly 200 miles on all type of roads that I have used many times in the past so I could compare apples to apples. AHH! At last, it seems just right. The "cushier" ride is back, there is no weaving about on the highway, and no side movement when entering and leaving the "dirty air" around big trucks. It is simply a pleasure to ride with this setup.

The WOW meter is now pegged!