PDA

View Full Version : The key is the issue, or the issue is key

Twodog185
06-26-2008, 05:14 PM
The metal key fits snuggly upsidedown in the sheath, hanging from your key ring. Many months later after countless times of slipping the key into the plastic sheath, the key falls out.

I assume the little grabby thingies inside the sheath are plastic also, and will wear out some day. Is there a solution? You can drill out the handle and put it on your key ring? Really don't want to dangle 4 pounds of garage, house, gate, trailer keys from the ignition.

Just a thought.

bjt
06-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Lamonster has a key mod (http://www.spyderlovers.com/smf/index.php?topic=532.0) that doesn't involve dangling keys. ;D

jeuchler
06-26-2008, 07:17 PM
The metal key fits snuggly upsidedown in the sheath, hanging from your key ring. Many months later after countless times of slipping the key into the plastic sheath, the key falls out....

Twodog, are you saying that it did fall out, or that you expect that it someday will?

I'm not positive, but my guess is that the sheath is made from kydex or some other thermoplastic material which resists deformation (thermoplastics have been used as engine components (http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/membersonly/may00/departments/tech_focus/techfocus2.html) with increasing frequency as knife sheaths and handgun holsters. )

If it's not a thermopplastic of some sort, I'll back down from this opinion, especially if any of the "more veteran" Spyder owners with more key/sheath use have had an issue; I've only had several draws of the key from the sheath per day since March, maybe = 400 times so far...

Repeated draws of my knives in kydex sheaths over years show no change in play; pistol owners tell a similar story.

sabunim5
06-27-2008, 10:39 AM
There is a computer chip in your keys. Some have ruined their keys by trying to drill a hole for a keyring; a VERY expensive mistake. :( Some have successfully drilled the upper outside corner without damaging the chip. ;D Your decision. Good Luck if you try drilling. :bigthumbsup:
sabunim5 :spyder: