PDA

View Full Version : Does adding fuel additives hurt?

KEBIE
08-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Does it hurt to add fuel additives or gas cleaner to the spyder? If it's ok to run them, how often would you add them? Thanks

IcyAlpha1906
08-13-2013, 08:51 AM
How about octane boosters as well?:read:

happyspyder2039
08-13-2013, 09:08 AM
How about octane boosters as well?:read:
Almost all stations where I live have the ethanol so I use Startron fuel treatment about every 2 fill ups with no problems. Haven't tried octane booter

daveinva
08-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Only your wallet.

But won't help, either.

bobnaquin
08-13-2013, 09:21 AM
I use Techron injector cleaner every 5 or 10 thousand miles. It makes the fuel gauge read low by 30-50% for a couple of tanks. So it is having some effect.

OldCowboy
08-13-2013, 09:44 AM
If you're using 91 octane gasoline, octane boosters probably won't do anything except deflate your wallet. I use a bit of Techron every 5,000 miles to keep fuel injectors clean. I don't see the need for other additives more often than that. The concern about ethanol is overblown, IMO. Most places have been running 10% ethanol for a bunch of years and the vehicle manufacturers are using parts that aren't affected by 10% ethanol.

MikeinGA
08-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Does it hurt to add fuel additives or gas cleaner to the spyder? If it's ok to run them, how often would you add them? Thanks

I use Marine Stable 1/2 oz. per tank full. When gas gets hot, like in a Spyder, it can start to go bad in less than a week. I also use Seafoam to clean the fuel system. I use 1 oz. per gallon in the spring and fall. It's cheap per tank full and used with 89 octane will keep your fuel system clean. That's IMHO.

Mike

jtpollock
08-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Y'all are doing it wrong I run 91 octane and I run two tanks a week have not had any problems as far as gas going bad 23,000 miles in the last year. Just get out and ride. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: jtpollock

Chupaca
08-13-2013, 01:53 PM
harm done..as to how much good..? Many opinions. I do run some seafoam from time to time and run 91octane. Things run smoothly and have had no problem. One time pulled up to the racing fuel pump by mistake and she sure was peppy..painfully expensive...:roflblack:

MikeinGA
08-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Y'all are doing it wrong I run 91 octane and I run two tanks a week have not had any problems as far as gas going bad 23,000 miles in the last year. Just get out and ride. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: jtpollock

That's good that you ride over 20,000 miles a year, a lot of us only ride 5,000 or 6,000 miles a year and need to stabilize our gas.

Mike

wyliec
08-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Only your wallet.

But won't help, either.

Agreed.

In 4 years the only time I add anything is when the spyder is parked for 2-3 months for the winter. On my 2008 I use 87 octane with 10% ethanol regularly.

Those who use additives swear by them. I say if you feel you need it, use it.

MikeinGA
08-13-2013, 04:48 PM
If you're using 91 octane gasoline, octane boosters probably won't do anything except deflate your wallet. I use a bit of Techron every 5,000 miles to keep fuel injectors clean. I don't see the need for other additives more often than that. The concern about ethanol is overblown, IMO. Most places have been running 10% ethanol for a bunch of years and the vehicle manufacturers are using parts that aren't affected by 10% ethanol.

I seen the damage from 10% ethanol, the water that the ethanol causes clog injectors and filters and cause rust inside the engine. Now they passed a law to increase the ethanol content to 15%. How many gas stations do you see that have E85 pumps for cars that run 85% ethanol? It's good that you run 91 octane not only do you get more octane additive, you get more cleaner and stabilizer. All gas that comes through the gas pipe line to the tank fields is only 86 octane. The additives are add at delivery.

Mike

+

Flanker
08-15-2013, 11:26 AM
I agree with the other posters who recommended fuel system cleaner about every 5000 miles (very easy to remember!). Octane booster is a waste in my book; same as the other posters said......................why not just buy a better grade of gas. I burn premium in mine most of the time.

ThreeFeet
08-15-2013, 11:41 AM
I put 15000++ on a RS and 34000 on my RT. I use(mostly) 89 octane gas and ADD octane booster ( a small amount) every gasup. So far no problems. 91 octane in Mo at a bunch of stations has NO ETHANOL. Some still have the ethanol no matter what the grade. I get fair gas milage 25mpg to 31mpg consistantly. Got 27mpg avg for the trip to and from the OE.towing a BRP trailer loaded. (No kitchen sink----- no room!!) Weight for all,,, loaded,, with me on has been +or-1700 lbs.( I GOTTA LOSE WT!!) So gas milage varies, I don't trust ethanol any farther than I could throw the truck that delivers it. :gaah:

Bob Denman
08-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Use the money to buy a better grade of fuel, and then ride the bike! :thumbup:
That's all that is needed... ;)