PDA

View Full Version : Strange question

Marykt
08-12-2013, 04:44 PM
I have an 2012 RS Sport. It's supposed to have a 6.6 tank. I can't ever get more than just over 3 gallons in it. Even when the gas light comes, it still only takes a tad over 3. I ran out of gas on purpose to see how much it would take....yep, just over gallons:(! Anyone else have this problem? The dealer is waiting to hear back from Can-Am on what to do.

ARCTIC
08-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Occasionally, I think my gauge sticks ad's shows more gas than what's in the tank but it always drinks what's in there

NancysToy
08-12-2013, 05:24 PM
While the gas tank is advertised as 6.6 gallons, that includes necessary head space for venting and expansion. The usable capacity is 6.0 gallons. The low fuel light comes on with about 1.5 gallons left, so at that point you should be able to add around 4.5 gallons.

There are some tricks to filling the tank fully, without overflowing to the emissions canister. First, unlike a car where you fully insert the nozzle into the tank, on the Spyder you have to insert the end just past the baffle, and hold it there. In areas with emissions collars on the nozzles or with high nozzle vents, this may be difficult. Fill manually, don't use the autoatic shutoff feature of the nozzle. Fill slowly, especially toward the top. Filling fast can overflow fuel to the evap canister. Stop filling when gas begins to spurt out the vent slots in the fill baffle. You can do another try to be sure the gas is full, but stop for sure the second time you see gas splashing through the vents. Any more will overfill the tank. Using this method consistently should allow you to fill the tank to its 6.0 gallon capacity each time.

SPYD3R
08-12-2013, 06:15 PM
i've got'a tell ya...
on my ride to Utah this past May... where there aren't a lot of gas stations, i learned how to fill my tank up completely... once the pump kicks out, u'v got'a stay with it, and pump in a little @ a time... go very slow, and u can get another full gallon or more in there... the top of the tank is very wide/long, so it takes some doing for her to fill up... be patient, and keep pump'n... :2thumbs:

Oldmanzues
08-12-2013, 07:34 PM
While the gas tank is advertised as 6.6 gallons, that includes necessary head space for venting and expansion. The usable capacity is 6.0 gallons. The low fuel light comes on with about 1.5 gallons left, so at that point you should be able to add around 4.5 gallons.

There are some tricks to filling the tank fully, without overflowing to the emissions canister. First, unlike a car where you fully insert the nozzle into the tank, on the Spyder you have to insert the end just past the baffle, and hold it there. In areas with emissions collars on the nozzles or with high nozzle vents, this may be difficult. Fill manually, don't use the autoatic shutoff feature of the nozzle. Fill slowly, especially toward the top. Filling fast can overflow fuel to the evap canister. Stop filling when gas begins to spurt out the vent slots in the fill baffle. You can do another try to be sure the gas is full, but stop for sure the second time you see gas splashing through the vents. Any more will overfill the tank. Using this method consistently should allow you to fill the tank to its 6.0 gallon capacity each time.
I agree. Good advice, as usual
Oldmanzues

boborgera
08-12-2013, 07:52 PM
I could be wrong [My wife says i'm always] But;
I think the OP, is saying from empty like No gas in the tank'
It will only take 3 gal to fill the tank.:dontknow:

Chupaca
08-12-2013, 08:04 PM
if from empty to kick off is 3 gallons there may be a problem...I have gotten up to 5 gallons topping off. Here you have to hold back the epa boot but when it splashes out the filling vent a bit that is as full as you can get it. May have to look inside and see if they forgot something in there taking up space...:roflblack:

retread
08-12-2013, 09:28 PM
If you get really patient, and let the gas settle down, you can nurse quite a bit in after the auto kick off, just go slow with it.

john

AWEInCA
08-13-2013, 01:41 AM

When it is full like this and you start moving, the gas doesn't slosh into the canister anyway?

NancysToy
08-13-2013, 06:55 AM
When it is full like this and you start moving, the gas doesn't slosh into the canister anyway?
There is sufficient head space that it should not, if the tip-over valve/vent is working properly. When filled by this method the fuel level ends up about 1/4"-1/2" below the fill ring.

Guesswho
09-09-2013, 09:03 PM

:bowdown::yes::clap: Thanks for the info! I was finally able to get more than 3 gallons in my tank, got about 5.5! yay!

NancysToy
09-09-2013, 09:35 PM
:bowdown::yes::clap: Thanks for the info! I was finally able to get more than 3 gallons in my tank, got about 5.5! yay!

:thumbup: