PDA

View Full Version : Brakes Squeak Update

daddydarko
06-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Recap: Dealer replaced rear pad. Squeaking stopped for 3 weeks. Called BRP and they said they would take care of it through the dealer.

Update: Dealer said there was glazing on the 1-month old pad that was causing the squeak. They told me to "stomp" on the brakes.

My only problem with stomping on the brakes is that the next time I bring it in to have the squeak looked it, they'll charge me because the brakes are warn. Stomping did no solve the issue the first time.

I will call BRP again. I encourage everyone else experiencing the problem to do the same. Maybe someone will finally get around to making a ceramic pad.

COSpyder
06-26-2008, 10:40 AM
My spyder is in the shop as we speak for the parking brake issue as well as the brake sqeak. My bike announces my arrival about a block or two ahead if I have to hit the brakes. I will let you know what my dealer thought the fix was after the dealer delivers my bike back to me today.

daddydarko
06-26-2008, 10:49 AM
They fixed my parking brake while it was in too. I still hesitate to use it given the issues people have had.

Call BRP regardless of what your dealer finds. Yamaha had a similar issue on one of their models and released a fix after so many people called in.

NancysToy
06-26-2008, 11:41 AM
We have had occasional problems with the brake squeal, but they disappeared for about a week every time, after one or two hard stops. The parking brake issue went away with lubrication, and has been fine since, but still squeals when we push the Spyder backwards out of the garage. No problems otherwise.

Today, the brake situation changed suddenly. The brakes started screaming bloody murder. Rear is by far the worst. I am chalking this change up to the humidity, which rose suddenly today. That means it is a design and pad material issue. Tough to resolve. Don't think BRP wil pay any attention. Their standard line has been "See your dealer." They don't acknowledge emails.
-Scotty

COSpyder
06-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Well my bike is back. Same brake problem. The service manager said they called BRP about the issue and BRP is working on it. Supposedly they are also working on an ebrake design that will fix that issue too. I have no idea if this is true but I can still hear the bike coming when the rider brakes at the turn two blocks from the house!

Smylinacha
06-26-2008, 09:08 PM
I get the schoolbus screech occasionally - I find it happens more when it's humid out.

sabunim5
06-27-2008, 10:59 AM
It's almost always humid here on the Gulf Coast in Florida and I don't have it any more. Brakes were prepped properly by the dealer. Had minor squeal for the first couple hundered miles until I "bedded" them in. Then it went away. Recently my wife was riding the Spyder in a parking lot while practicing for her licensing exam. She burnt rubber in reverse and stalled out the Spyder. Now I have brake squeal in the back, but only if I apply the brakes when backing up??? :nojoke: Stranger than Science.
sabunim5 :spyder:

Smylinacha
06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
Reverse burnout - I gotta try that!