PDA

View Full Version : Adding Oil

SPYDERFUZZ
08-12-2013, 03:02 PM
I need to add a little oil. It is almost to the ADD mark. I hate to sound dumb again but no one showed me where to add oil and everything in the manual tells how to check it,. i/e. warm it up, level ground etc. But nowhere does it say where to add the oil. Can someone tell me. Thanks Doug I

Oldmanzues
08-12-2013, 03:05 PM
I need to add a little oil. It is almost to the ADD mark. I hate to sound dumb again but no one showed me where to add oil and everything in the manual tells how to check it,. i/e. warm it up, level ground etc. But nowhere does it say where to add the oil. Can someone tell me. Thanks Doug I
I may be wrong, but I just use the dipstick opening.
Oldmanzues

CurtG
08-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Goes in through the dipstick opening. I discovered on my 2012 RT-S that half way between full and add to 3 oz of oil to bring it nearly to the add mark.

Ride safe,

Chupaca
08-12-2013, 03:14 PM
pull the dip stick once the engine is at running temp. Check to see level. (I like to run towards the full mark) then slowly add oil through the dip stick hole. If your aim is off use a funnel :roflblack: use one anyway it's easier..

fastfraser
08-12-2013, 03:18 PM
As stated -through the dipstick hole . But if you are only slightly below the add oil line on the dipstick after you checked on a operating temp. motor I wouldn't add anymore. I find if you even slightly over fill it ,it will end up in your resonator box. Just my experience.

SPYDERFUZZ
08-12-2013, 03:54 PM
What happens if it is over filled a little would I then have a problem? Thank guys for you help. Did you see what almonster wrote? Can you believe it? Over 12,000 members on Spyder :bowdown::clap::thumbup:Lovers.:yes::yes::yes:

wyliec
08-12-2013, 04:02 PM
As stated -through the dipstick hole . But if you are only slightly below the add oil line on the dipstick after you checked on a operating temp. motor I wouldn't add anymore. I find if you even slightly over fill it ,it will end up in your resonator box. Just my experience.

Do you mean slightly below the full line?

I try to keep my oil level about a 1/4 to 1/3 up from the add line.

Magdave
08-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Running till warm in the garage is not good enough to check the level ( don't ask how I found out) take it for a ride and check it after. I bet you will find it is full and you do not want to overfill it.

Bob Denman
08-12-2013, 06:14 PM
These dry sump engines have a pretty specific set of instructions for checking the oil level... Make sure kthat your bike is up to full operating temperatures
Then, let it idle for thirty seconds... (Gives you time to find a rag and pop the panel)
Shut it down, unscrew the cap, wipe it off, re-insert it, and screw it back in...
Then... unscrew it again, and read your oil level. :thumbup:
WHEW! :shocked: