PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes

ma and pa
08-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Can someone give me the steps for installing new rear pads on my 2010rt.Does the wheel have to come off?

wyliec
08-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Can someone give me the steps for installing new rear pads on my 2010rt.Does the wheel have to come off?

I can tell you the wheel doesn't have to come off. The rest of the steps my dealer handles.

I heard Bob D did his own, which means pretty much anyone can

CyncySpyder
08-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Sorry, but I dont have the repair manual in front of me, and I dont want to tell you something incorrectly, so if you do a search for REAR BRAKE INSTALL (or something similar) you will get many threads discussing this issue, and you may have to do a little reading, but you should easily find all the info that you need:thumbup:

Teddy did just that, and found this one that you may find helpful ;)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?55117-REAR-BRAKE-CHANGE-PROCEDURE&highlight=rear+brake+install
He's such a good dog :clap: Hope this helps & good luck :2thumbs:

Chupaca
08-12-2013, 11:47 AM
check previous threads and DIY threads there are demos. You do not have to remove the rear wheel. Just the caliper, compress the piston and remove the pads. There are some clips you have to watch out for they do pop out..a manual would be helpful as well. Green manuals online about twenty bucks..good luck..:thumbup:

finless
08-12-2013, 12:33 PM
I was always told (on cars anyway) that with ABS breaks you should not push the caliper piston in or you can destroy the ABS system?

Bob

BajaRon
08-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Not true on the Spyder. I'm not sure it's true for anything else.

Bob Denman
08-12-2013, 12:35 PM
It's a very do-able process (even I managed it without putting out an eye!)
you have to unbolt the "stuff" that hold the parking brake cable on; note how all of that stuff looks, and how it was put together...
remove the caliper from it's mounting brackets
I believe that there's a couple of little screwed-in "nubbies" that hold the pins in place; pop them out, po the pins out, and you're more than halfway home...
YOu'll want to push the pistons back in a little bit once you've got the new pads in place; that'll give you the space to get the caliper back over top of the rotor...
Snug the caliper back down onto it's brackets, and then you just need to replace the parking brake bits...