PDA

View Full Version : State inspection sticker location?

Michael211_2000
08-10-2013, 11:43 PM
The inspector at my local state inspection station didn't have a clue, either. Where do people stick these things on the Spyder?

ps. I've read of problems using a license plate extension for the state sticker, that it may cause the license plate to break off... not cool that. Mine's sticker is in the frunk in a plastic bag with insurance card and other paperwork right now for lack of any better ideas.

- Michael

Chupaca
08-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Don't know which spyder you have..not listed in profile or signature/avatar...on the RS/RSS you could place it on top of the tag light/reflector. When I lived in Texas they had a back plate with the extension which did not affect the plate. I have not paid attention to the RT, ST rear section. Others will chime in soon..!! :thumbup:

Michael211_2000
08-11-2013, 12:29 AM
It's a 2012 RS SE5 model. I need to take pics and fill out profile better... I've only had it for 2 weeks so far. So much to do it seems.... :thumbup:

- Michael

eagleeye299
08-11-2013, 04:56 AM
My dealer put it on the left front shock. I believe that in NY it goes on the left fork of a motorcycle. Kind of makes sense then to but it on the shock.

srwilli
08-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Texas requires the inspection sticker to be below the license plate on the extension. I have had my spyder for a year now, and have had no issue with the holder cracking/breaking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Michael211_2000
08-11-2013, 10:12 AM
On what extension? :dontknow:

- Michael

Michael211_2000
08-11-2013, 10:15 AM
Heck I need to just go over to Conroe's Powersports dealership and see what they can recommend. :f_spider:

I bought this roadster from private owners over in Louisianna, I guess that state doesn't do state inspection's as there's no sign of a LA state inspection sticker anywhere on the machine.

- Michael

gypsy_100
08-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Here in PA the dealer put it on the stock shock absorber. That's fine. When I switched to Elka's, that didn't work. Next inspection the dealer wanted to put it somewhere really obvious and ugly since the shock was not a possibility. I didn't like his choices at all. I suggested the lower suspension a-arm covers (flat black slightly textured plastic). The dealer didn't think it would stick but I felt it worth a try and if I lost it, then I'd take my chances. It's been on there about 6,000 miles now thru all kinds of rain and it's just great. Not obvious and ugly but visible if anyone wants to see it. Next inspection we'll see how hard it is to get off.

54spyder
08-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Heck I need to just go over to Conroe's Powersports dealership and see what they can recommend. :f_spider:

I bought this roadster from private owners over in Louisianna, I guess that state doesn't do state inspection's as there's no sign of a LA state inspection sticker anywhere on the machine.

- Michael

They should have the plate holder that comes with the extension. I don't see how it could affect the plate or anything else for that matter, it is all one piece.

2 Stricklands
08-11-2013, 12:30 PM
My dealer had it inspection when I bought it and the sticker was on the frame below the passenger foot pegs (floorboard). I have had it inspected two times since and the inspection station puts it in the same place. It can be seen from the left side of the RT. That seems much better than the shock to me

muonwhiz
08-12-2013, 03:54 PM
When I bought my RT in AZ, that state did not have inspection stickers. But when moved to TX and got TX license, asked local dealer to put on extension plate holder and the sticker went on that. So far have had no troubles with it

Dan McNally
08-12-2013, 05:02 PM
I put mine here: 73647

Laila's Dad
08-12-2013, 05:36 PM
just found out Sunday that the metal plate that the inspection sticker was on broke off somewhere during my 5800 miles on the spyder. Never even thought about it until a fellow Spyderlover asked me if I had any problems with the "plate" breaking. I said no, then he pointed out to me that it was gone :shocked:...my license plate is still there but I noticed it is kind of bent a little so I may need to find screws for the bottom of it. I am not sure where I will put the inspection sticker now.

shooter
08-12-2013, 07:38 PM
just found out Sunday that the metal plate that the inspection sticker was on broke off somewhere during my 5800 miles on the spyder. Never even thought about it until a fellow Spyderlover asked me if I had any problems with the "plate" breaking. I said no, then he pointed out to me that it was gone :shocked:...my license plate is still there but I noticed it is kind of bent a little so I may need to find screws for the bottom of it. I am not sure where I will put the inspection sticker now.

Try this.

Chupaca
08-12-2013, 07:54 PM
place it here and it will be in back just not below the plate...73657 On RS anyway..! :thumbup:

flamingobabe
08-12-2013, 08:46 PM
I live in Texas and since May of 2010.... 65,000 something miles....have been using the attachment below plate and have had to replace attachment 4 times.....license plate replaced 5 time...because it always breaks or snaps off....this time when I saw the plate was cracked...I pulled off the attachment with inspection sticker still on and through it in the frunk.....I'll put it on when stick needs replacing

Texmac1011
08-13-2013, 06:26 PM
I live in Texas and since May of 2010.... 65,000 something miles....have been using the attachment below plate and have had to replace attachment 4 times.....license plate replaced 5 time...because it always breaks or snaps off....this time when I saw the plate was cracked...I pulled off the attachment with inspection sticker still on and through it in the frunk.....I'll put it on when stick needs replacing

Same thing happened with my wife's. I now put the sticker on the tail under the passenger backrest.

byron64
08-14-2013, 04:17 PM
I just got my Spyder RSS E5 about 2 weeks ago and after only 150 miles, the bracket broke completely broke off from the vibration. My inspection was lost. The dealers response was that it had never happened before and said sorry. You'll have to purchase a new sticker.
I am 64 and been riding since the age of 16. It never happened before. Has anyone else had this happen? Byron

Yazz
08-14-2013, 04:58 PM
I just got my Spyder about 2 weeks ago and after only 150 miles, the bracket broke completely broke off from the vibration. My inspection was lost. The dealers response was that it had never happened before and said sorry. You'll have to purchase a new sticker.
I am 64 and been riding since the age of 16. It never happened before. Has anyone else had this happen? Byron

:welcome: And fellow Texan! This has happened to quite a few of us...

+1 - I keep mine in the frunk too.

Michael211_2000
08-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks for chiming-in ya'll... I'm going to go ahead and put this sticker on top of the stop-light housing. Looks good enough to me, and more than close enough to what the law requires given that the vehicle manufacturer didn't provide a specific mounting plate for the vehicle inspection sticker. :bowdown:

Thanks all!

- Michael

conroe spyders
08-19-2013, 10:05 AM
put the sticker on swing arm on left side if lookin at the back of the as long as it visible safe place

wolphspyder
08-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Here in Texas it is required to be on a mount just below the license plate...dealer should have monted it with the plate holder...vehicle had to have been inspected before sale.

wolphspyder
08-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Just so it can be seen easily, and you won't get pulled over.

Michael211_2000
08-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Obviously, there is a problem with that add-on sticker mount though! And *I* didn't buy this RS from a Dealer I bought if from a private seller NOT in Texas.

The Spyder doesn't come from the manufacturer with a specific mount location for the inspection sticker, and add-on mounts appear to have problems as have been detailed here by other posters already. Hello! :dontknow:

ps. The sticker I have doesn't appear to fit on top of the brake light housing, I checked... it's larger than the top of the brake light housing. :banghead: So in the plastic baggie in the frunk it remains for now. (sigh!)

- Michael

Here in Texas it is required to be on a mount just below the license plate...dealer should have monted it with the plate holder...vehicle had to have been inspected before sale.

Rick11Flor
08-26-2013, 07:49 PM
i am from Austin tx and the dealer installed the extension
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-FZR_avMHtY4/UcU_dd-eJAI/AAAAAAAAlBY/0xR1gG5XcwU/w896-h672-no/6A9A8EDC-185C-4DC0-994F-FB19B43A0F31.JPG

Michael211_2000
08-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Stupid question but... why can't the sticker just be put on the lower portion of the windshield like on a car, just on the outside instead of the inside (since the sticker's are sticky on back instead of on front)?

Aesthetics might suck, I guess.... :dontknow:

- Michael

clueless
08-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Because windshields are removable. Has to be on a more permanent area

Michael211_2000
08-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Because windshields are removable. Has to be on a more permanent area

And that license plate extension thingy isn't removable? A simple pair of pliers can have it off in a matter of seconds, if I'm not totally mistaken. That's assuming it doesn't just break off on it's own as has been experienced by several posters... ergo it can self-remove while the windshield, not so much. LOL!

Heck, why bother removing either part when someone can just peel the sticker off if they really really want it? Let's not even get into the "criss-crossing" it with a razor blade techniques, theives can still get the sticker off and once it's gone your only option is to pay for another inspection and sticker and hope you don't lose it again before 12 months pass by!

So I don't think "permanency" of the mounting location is the issue here as such... the windshield or a license plate extension thingy, either can be easily removed and placed on a different machine if so desired or just peel the sticker and make off with it.

This remains a perplexing issue, no matter how I look at it. I still have a temporary tag on my machine (another 25 days or so left) so the inspection sticker remains sealed in a baggy with other paperwork in the frunk (as suggested by the inspection station guy) till a better solution presents itself. If the sticker is stolen that suxs, but if it just falls off the machine and is lost along the highway that's just ridiculous IMHO.

- Michael

bikeguy
08-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Stupid question but... why can't the sticker just be put on the lower portion of the windshield like on a car, just on the outside instead of the inside (since the sticker's are sticky on back instead of on front)?

Aesthetics might suck, I guess.... :dontknow:

- Michael

I really think it's more an issue of having the sticker in a common location on all motorcycles and lots of motorcycles don't have windshields. That's just my opinion, but based on talking to a few vehicle inspectors and law enforcement officers. I don't imagine they would care if you burnt the sticker if they just had some other way to assure that you went in once a year and paid the $14.50 tax that the inspection really amounts to. The inspection process, at least in Texas, is a joke and more so for motorcycles since most inspectors are not riders. Even if they were, I would not want most of them riding my bike. So, they check turn signals, lights and horn, maybe look at tires, make sure liability insurance is current and put the sticker on. Cotton

Roadkill
08-29-2013, 09:21 PM
put the sticker on swing arm on left side if lookin at the back of the as long as it visible safe place

+I'm with conroe spyders, and put it on the forward left area of the swingarm. We're classified as motorcycles in NY, and state law requires that it be visible on the left side of the vehicle, not the forks.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Michael211_2000
08-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah that's where I finally put it earlier today, just behind where the factor stickers with the VIN and such are. At least there's no risk of it falling off from this location. :yes:

Thanks ya'll! Now, let's all go ride! :spyder:

- Michael

Bfromla
09-02-2014, 06:19 PM

- Michael

Here in La , yes we do but as most bikers we keep sticker with documents, only if you travel on bases does it have to be visible 24/7 fyi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sddinnh
09-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Most states have a "required" place so go with that. In NH it's the left front downtube and it must be readily visible. On the Spyder it's low on the flat of the body panel just ahead of the front wheels.

Michael211_2000
09-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Here in La , yes we do but as most bikers we keep sticker with documents

Well there wasn't any sign of an LA inspection sticker with the documents the seller included for me so I have no idea how they had it inspected or what became of that document/sticker. I ended up placing my Texas Inspection sticker on the swing arm right behind the serial number information tag and keep the paper inspection receipt in a folder in the frunk with my insurance card. It's been no problemo for over a year now.

Sometime next Spring, Texas is doing away with these stickers entirely changing to an electronic only inspection system where the virtual "sticker" will be linked directly to your registration information in the same electronic database used by police cruisers to check your registration information (not sure if they'll get rid of the registration sticker itself too or not... kinda wish they would though these stickers are kinda useless and a mess to change).

So that'll be 1 less sticker to worry about anyhow I guess. Yay!

Regards!

- Michael

jcthorne
09-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Yes, the Texas inspection stickers are going away next Feb.

Dgjason
09-18-2014, 03:46 PM
Yup...much improved system.:clap:

jcthorne
09-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Yup...much improved system.:clap:

Well, I LIKE getting rid of the stickers but it closed a very useful loophole for some performance cars.....

Getting my GT inspected is a PIA. Its completely legal, just rare and odd enough that things are difficult. And the high school kid that does the inspections is NOT driving it, nor is HE plugging anything into my car. I'll drive and do any connections. Not many shops will work with that.

Dgjason
09-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Understand... Much better when you don't live in Harris County.