PDA

View Full Version : RT-S SE5 Won't Shift Into Neutral

OldCowboy
08-09-2013, 05:21 PM
My 2013 RT-S SE5 won't shift into Neutral except when it auto-shifts there when starting. The first few times I rode it, I shifted it into neutral before shutting it down. The last few times.....no go. :dontknow: The oil level is right at the full mark. I've tried shifting when the brake was depressed; when the parking brake was on; and when the parking brake was on and the brake was depressed. Of course, the engine was running when these attempts were made.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Bob Denman
08-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Have you taken a peek at the shifter linkage? (It's kind of under the bike on the left hand side right underneath where you go to do the oil changes)
You'll feel a rod that comes down and hooks onto a horizontal shaft... is everything nice and tight with those parts?
Other than that... :dontknow:

billybovine
08-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Lets try the easy stuff first. You are pulling back the floppy shift paddle and releasing immediately right? If you pull it back and hold it will not shift. That is reserved for shifting from 1st to reverse, but since the reverse button is not pressed it will do nothing.

OldCowboy
08-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Lets try the easy stuff first. You are pulling back the floppy shift paddle and releasing immediately right? If you pull it back and hold it will not shift. That is reserved for shifting from 1st to reverse, but since the reverse button is not pressed it will do nothing.

BINGO! We have a winner! :yes::yes::yes:

That was the problem. I was holding the downshift paddle too long. Thanks, Billy.

billybovine
08-09-2013, 07:23 PM
BINGO! We have a winner! :yes::yes::yes:

That was the problem. I was holding the downshift paddle too long. Thanks, Billy.

Happy to help.

Illinois Boy
08-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Happy to help.

There is a bit of irony in the fact one guy with "bovine" helps another with "cow" in their names...

Good save on the issue Billy! :thumbup:

billybovine
08-10-2013, 11:00 AM
There is a bit of irony in the fact one guy with "bovine" helps another with "cow" in their names...

Good save on the issue Billy! :thumbup:

I did not notice that.
I created the billybovine alias back in the days when internet sites required email address to access them so they could email you large quantities of canned luncheon meat. I created a fake email address of billybovine@bulldroppings.com. It did not work for long but I liked the billybovine part and kept using it.

eagleeye299
08-10-2013, 01:38 PM
I was having the same problem. One trip to SPYDERLOVERS, problem solved. Thank god for this sight.:bowdown: